PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia Article on ATV's

slashfan7964
11-14-2013, 12:18 AM
I was quite angry at the lack of information on trikes on the Wikipedia ATV article they have, so I took the liberty of adding some stuff in. They completely ignored the 350X and 250SX and many others, and the only things that got honorable mentions were the Big Red, 200X and '81 250R.

I'd appreciate if you guys would go in and add some more on to what I did. The world needs more information on these parts of history!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-terrain_vehicle

Ghostv2
11-14-2013, 12:37 AM
Wikipedia is generally discouraged from being used when one is looking up facts or in this case, history. I was told time and time again in school to never use Wikipedia for any time of research.

Now as far as the whole atv article not paying tribute to what started it all, now that I feel needs to be mentioned. I think it also should just have a link to a whole different page because there is two much history with 3 wheelers and it will drown out the 4 wheelers and everything else if we all write it.

slashfan7964
11-14-2013, 01:25 AM
I agree, the same was said for me when I was in school. But the fact is, it's there and it's used by millions of people and it needs to be filled in.

I will start up a new page if I can get some help from everyone. I agree there is way too much history. When I found the page, there was hardly anything on three wheelers. There was basically 3 small, 2-3 sentence paragraphs about the US90, '81 Big Red, 250R and 200X, and then the trike ban. That was it. I was uppauled.

If you guys could provide some more history I'd be willing to make a new page. I just don't have the time to dig up everything, so the more help the better.

EDIT:

I'm in the process of making a new page. I need help though

Ghostv2
11-14-2013, 01:35 AM
I think a great place to start would be just using the information provided on this site. Click on each link and it will give you a brief history on it. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/content.php/123 But even the whole homepage is just filled with TONS of information already laid out for you. It just comes down to you putting it all together into something people can work with and read.

Now the hard part will come when you get to the less popular models such as some of the polaris, suzuki, kawasaki, and a few yamaha models.

slashfan7964
11-14-2013, 01:45 AM
I probably won't mention them as much. I'll be posting some things on them and mention them but they won't be as in depth as the Hondas simply because there isn't as much information on them.

Now to get around them trying to delete every damn image I upload. Do have any idea how hard it is to find a stock looking bike online and then they want to take it down. WTF.

I want to lay it out by year. Like 1985: Honda introduces 250SX (specs/details) etc. for example.

EDIT:

I've got the article started. It's in very early stages. I'll be furious if they take it down.

EDIT 2:

Here's a very, very early preview. I still have a ton to do. Can't figure out why it changed the models from being in a list to the way it is.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af257/slashfan7964/edits_zps70aaa5b3.png

ColtonGG33
11-14-2013, 03:28 AM
Don't forget the YAMMIES lol if you need info on them i know a good bit about them ;)

slashfan7964
11-14-2013, 03:39 AM
Don't forget the YAMMIES lol if you need info on them i know a good bit about them ;)

Right now there is only light mention of anything other than Honda. I will add that in when you or someone can supply me with good information. Right now, it's just Honda only, but I'd like to include mostly everything. I'm getting ready to submit just for Hondas right now though. When and if it gets approved, I'll post the links up here.

If anyone could supply me with their photos of stock/restored trikes in good condition with permission for me to use them on Wikipedia, that would be great.

slashfan7964
11-14-2013, 03:57 AM
I just had to save it again because some jerk-wad decided to revert it for now reason when it is CLEARLY adding to it.

Gripit'n'ripit
11-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Back in '06 my buddy, Civicstomper, wrote the majority of the original section on ATC's. Made a comment towards the end "it's rumored a large number of three wheelers are hidden in a barn in Parma NY" It stayed up there for years.

slashfan7964
11-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Yeah there was very little information given. They didn't acknowledge Yamaha or Kawasaki other than the Tri-Z and Tecate. Those were the only trikes on there.

oscarmayer
11-14-2013, 11:01 AM
wiki is full of lies and mis-information. people fill it up with what ever they want. so you cannot trust the info you get is actually true.

C.J
11-14-2013, 11:59 AM
I was never told not to use Wikipedia when I was in school.:wondering

Could the iStone tablet even get on Wikipedia? :D lmao

You can't have a Wikipedia page about the history of trikes and have it be HONDA ONLY. Plus there's going to be TONS that you miss. Like the Nicholson's, 3B, Cammex, Mugen, Hondaline, Franks (because he offered Tecate frames as well as swingarms so you have to include him), Klemm Research (now Klemm Vintage), you'll have to include Phase-5,,,,,,,
There's SO MUCH that you HAVE to have for the history of trikes it's crazy.

But I think that as a collective we should be able to do it.

Ghostv2
11-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Well if enough people actually care to do this we could all put a section in on what we specialize in.

I think vealmonkey needs to chime in here, that guy knows a good chunk of history that the general public here is just not aware of. Everything from the TIGER models to various aftermarket kits offered by other vintage companies. Thats just someone off the top of my head that would be a good source for information.

oscarmayer
11-14-2013, 01:04 PM
i can tell you this. the port and cylinder design changes from 85-86 were night and day. the 86+ 200x/350x were not plagued with issues if timing chain rattles, bad better perofrmance and lasted longer than their counter parts, but the sad thing is that is when the quads appeared and people migrated to those so there are much less ATCs than ATVs from 86+.

slashfan7964
11-14-2013, 08:32 PM
And the rejected the article WTF.