PDA

View Full Version : What to run on the dunes... Haulers or 4-SNOWs?

rg97
11-12-2013, 05:16 PM
So I'm planning a definite trip to silver lake late summer 2014 and trying to decide what to use for rear tires on the dunes. I have a set of 23" 4-SNOWs brand new, and I have a set of 21 or 22" haulers, also brand new. What do you guys think?

jb2wheels
11-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Haulers...

BOB MARLIN
11-13-2013, 12:23 PM
The 4 snow type tires work really, really well in sand on the 4 strokes.

kzr800
11-13-2013, 12:27 PM
I go there every year, and I would say paddle tires would be best. If you don't own any, maybe you could borrow a pair from someone.

rg97
11-13-2013, 01:30 PM
The 4 snow type tires work really, really well in sand on the 4 strokes.
What if I want to use the tires on a 70hp 2 stroke (banshee)

oh and kzr, I have 3 sets or tires.
Haulers on 3x90 rims (will be switched to 4x110 or 4x115) (to go on banshee-- option 1)
Skat trak edges on 4x110 (to go on 212X)
4-snows on 4x115 steel wheels (to go on banshee-- option 2)

BOB MARLIN
11-13-2013, 04:01 PM
I was going off the only trike you had listed in your sig.

If your running them on a banshee then the the haulers whould be the ones.

JasonB
11-13-2013, 04:20 PM
HAULERS x 14530965

audioworks04
11-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Just remember the more paddle you have, the more power you lose. Alot of people out there have the problem of buying paddles that are too aggressive for their motor, sounds great on paper, but in the real world too much traction is not a good thing. 4snos work great on about anything, but their main fall back is that they are so high and flexable, making a 3wheeler even more tipsy. So really I would take both, haulers are a "better tire" but if they are going on your 200x then I would hope they are no more than 7 paddles and run lots of air to try and make them a little less agressive.

Marty
11-13-2013, 11:16 PM
I just got back a few days from Glamis, but want you to know I have ohtsu Pro Wedge I and Pro Wedge II. Do not be fooled by how they look but be impressed those tires hook up very well, I have now switched to only using ohtsu pro wedge tires since last year and happy on that decision!

manbearpig
11-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Sand skate ii

Poco Loco
11-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Just run those knobbies and it will go everywhere. You can buy gas and beer with the money you'll save.

rg97
11-14-2013, 08:02 AM
I just got back a few days from Glamis, but want you to know I have ohtsu Pro Wedge I and Pro Wedge II. Do not be fooled by how they look but be impressed those tires hook up very well, I have now switched to only using ohtsu pro wedge tires since last year and happy on that decision!
this is the reason i asked. I know firsthand that the haulers are great , but ive never ran pro wedges or the very similar 4snow ever. If you guys are wondering, the haulers are 9 paddle and the edges are 7 or 8 and on Mitchell wheels.
This is about the banshee more than the X. I think now that the 23" 4snow is too much tire for a 200. The banshee is what Im debating now

rg97
11-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Just run those knobbies and it will go everywhere. You can buy gas and beer with the money you'll save.
I already have 2 sets of paddles and one set of 4snows, so i dont need to buy anything more rham

RapidRick
11-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Ditto, don't even have a set of haulers any more for my style of riding. Drawback is with high HP trikes they grow too much for me.

Poco Loco
11-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Im amused how so many people stress on what sand tire is best. Should I run this one ? No that one. Oh this one better than that one. Bla bla bla. I went through all that b.s. back in the 80's.

I finally figured out that knobbies are the fastest thing in the sand of all tires. And Ive been enjoying them for 20yrs in the sand.

Please folks, dont stop the potato pototo camparisons. I have fun reading them.

I guess Im just blessed having lived 2hrs away from the dunes my whole life and riding them for 34yrs. Buy them paddles folks and keep the tire industrie well lubed. I just love smokin past those paddles on the dunes and leaving people wondering how come they got smoked by knobs. :naughty:

BOB MARLIN
11-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Potatos with ridges.
or
Potatos with bumps.

That is the question.

hawaiirider
11-14-2013, 08:11 PM
i ride the oregon dunes (bigger) on a 200x, and just run knobbies goes anywhere! tried haulers just doesnt have the power. 23in 4 snows are too big!!
banshee, you need haulers or itll just bury itself!!
sand snakes are the tire to run on a low power trike, they are light!

RapidRick
11-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Im amused how so many people stress on what sand tire is best. Should I run this one ? No that one. Oh this one better than that one. Bla bla bla. I went through all that b.s. back in the 80's.

I finally figured out that knobbies are the fastest thing in the sand of all tires. And Ive been enjoying them for 20yrs in the sand.

Please folks, dont stop the potato pototo camparisons. I have fun reading them.

I guess Im just blessed having lived 2hrs away from the dunes my whole life and riding them for 34yrs. Buy them paddles folks and keep the tire industrie well lubed. I just love smokin past those paddles on the dunes and leaving people wondering how come they got smoked by knobs. :naughty:

Know exactly what you mean...only closer and longer.