PDA

View Full Version : how much is too much $$$

Trikeaholic
12-29-2003, 11:22 PM
It is interesting how alot of members REFUSE to put X amount of money into their trikes. I am of the school that feels whatever you want or need to put into it is OK. For example.....One cannot go and buy a new 3 wheeler. The values are slowly increasing on 3 wheelers. ATV's in general are NOT investments!!!! Either do it because you love the machine or hobby, or play the stock market for your easy money. If you think you can buy a rat, fix it up (Properly) and sell it for what you have into it, plus a tidy profit, you are sadly mistaken. Sure, sometimes it can happen, and its happened to me a few times, but more often than not, you will lose money. SO, the long and short of it is, buy trikes to keep, and you will never be dissatisfied with the financial aspect of the sport. A good example is Mannys 250R. He spent good money over time to make it a nice, reliable ride. He could probably not sell it for what he has invested in it, so he should just keep it and enjoy it. Same goes for alot of other owners, myself included. If I had to sell, out my collection, the only one I would seriously profit on would be the Tiger. the rest I would lose a few hundred on each. Thats the breaks fellas......wanna sell me some trikes??? :-P

CHAINSAW
12-30-2003, 12:15 AM
As long as the wife doesnt know.. its whatever it takes.
when she finds out how much parts are costing.. well.. I be more sneaky.. lol

TRI-Zbrian
12-30-2003, 12:19 AM
yeah my trike is a money pit i know that but i like the fact that i can spend more and more on it and it will just get better and better

4cylinders
12-30-2003, 12:34 AM
hey, the monster was just an experiment, but it's a blast to ride. Don't have any idea what I have in it. what's a one of a kind super trike worth?

sportvette
12-30-2003, 09:14 AM
i would never make the money i have spent back. it is my hobby and thats how i justify the big $$$. i would never sell my 250r, 350x, and KXT.

Howdy
12-30-2003, 10:13 AM
On my Personal machines I do not keep a tally on cost. It hurts too much. lol Ads far as the fixer / sellers I have to keep a tally.
If your going to put a lot of money into a machine be prepared to take a hit if your going to sell it. I have fixed many machines and lost my butt on quite a few. My advice is to keep your restored or fixed up machine in very good condition. Think of all the looks you get from it as your return on investment. It may be the only return you get.

ATV's are like the stock market. Some are good investments and other are not.
In the 15 years Pickle and myself have been buying & selling:

Machines like 1974+ 90's, 110's, 185's, 185s, 200, 200s, ect have not went up in value. If they went up it wasn't much.

During this same time others like the 250r's, Tri-Z's, 350x's, Tecate's, Tiger's, ect have went up in value a fair amount. We bought our first 85+ 250r for $300 and it was mint ( only 2 scratches on the whole machine ). This same condition machine sells for 6-7 times that now. I sure wished I had it back. lol 15 years ago they listed in the paper at that price, some lower.

Just my 2 cents.
Howdy

sittinguy
12-30-2003, 10:31 AM
It is no different than a expensive piece of artwork, it holds it value (as long as you dont crash it) and it gives you happiness to look at. Especially if you built it, I have the ultimate show girl 350X, that I restored to a leval of near unridability, But once in a while I will put some gas in and take her for a short run on the pavement, Its a great feeling to ride it some times, compared to my go girl 350X, its tight and strait, and more powerfull, And it should be for the insane amont of money I put into it, But it's not for sale, its Mechanical Artwork

AirManCam
12-30-2003, 07:33 PM
It is no different than a expensive piece of artwork, it holds it value (as long as you dont crash it) and it gives you happiness to look at. Especially if you built it, I have the ultimate show girl 350X, that I restored to a leval of near unridability, But once in a while I will put some gas in and take her for a short run on the pavement, Its a great feeling to ride it some times, compared to my go girl 350X, its tight and strait, and more powerfull, And it should be for the insane amont of money I put into it, But it's not for sale, its Mechanical Artwork
I dont mean to sound like an ass or get off the topic but I higly doubt you have the "ultimate show 350x" There is always better. Trust me on that one. But lets see some pics of it! Well I have an exception to the spend more get less rule lol. Like my 350x I got it for 800. Now I can get up too 2k for it :D