PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a new item for my 85 big red

OKSTATE#1
11-07-2013, 04:27 AM

I also found another set of nice original Ohtsu big red tire and decent rims. I managed to track down all the parts for a speedometer setup as well. After I have cleaned up this box and mounted it, I will post pics of my 85 Big red with all the goodies attached. It's near mint, but I ride quite often. Lots of massaging with micro fiber towels and cleaning wipes

Ghostv2
11-07-2013, 11:37 AM
You must of been searching for a long time to find all of those. I dont remember seeing anyone with the tool box since ive been on here.

OKSTATE#1
11-08-2013, 08:13 PM
I actually got on ebay the other night and clicked on the recently listed items and there was the tool box…for a ton of money lol. Way more than I wanted to pay, but then again, where will you see another? I have only seen one in person in 25 years, and I have only seen two on trikes in pics on the internet, one being on MacWorth, the other on some guy's 1987 BR. There may my more out there, but thats all have seen. No, I didn't google it, its just the only ones I have seen when looking at Big Reds.

The tool box was the first thing I wanted back in 85 after my dad bought me the Big Red for my 12th birthday. I forgot about it I guess, never got one. Plus, if I remember right, we went to go buy one that was on display at the local Honda shop one day and it had been sold. They didn't get anymore in, and dad didn't order one. :cry::cry:

OKSTATE#1
11-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Got my BR front took box in today. Anyone know how this mounts? It obviously must have been raised a bit off the front rack, if I set it down on the front rack it will not line up to the mounting holes due to the curvature of the rear of the rack and the proximity to the box itself. So, I would assume there were some rubber mounts that were supplied with these boxes initially. If I just had a photo of the mounting hardware I am sure I could replicate it a bit...

OKSTATE#1
11-13-2013, 10:48 AM

Here's the latest on the tool box. Mounted it the best I could, getting ready to paint it next.

yaegerb
11-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Very nice piece for sure! That will be the first honda OEM toolbox I have seen for the big reds so thanks for sharing. My question is how in the world does that lid stay locked over rough terrain? I only ask because I lost my 200x toolbox the other day on gravel roads and some pasture riding...lol

OKSTATE#1
11-13-2013, 12:50 PM
The latch does have a hole that you could use to secure with a small lock or pin. I don't know how rare these are in reality, I would assume there were very very few sold. Mine still has a nice piece of rubber where the lid contacts with the lower surface so it won't rattle. It's OEM. I sadly lost the painted warning label on the left side since someone painted it (badly) before I got it. I may try to resurrect that area somehow. But, there is no rust through. I didn't have the OEM mounting hardware, so I made up a little kit using nylon spacers and stainless steel washers, bolt, nuts and rubber grommets. Looks good, doesn't obstruct my headlight, and looks fairly OEM. Should have it painted by the end of the week and will post my final pics with all the goodies installed.

kebby28
11-13-2013, 01:23 PM
very cool! Is that the same tool box as in the first picture?

This might be a good thread to ask this question: My original tool kit under the seat of my 85 BR has a plug wrench (double ended socket sort of thing) with a hole for the screwdriver handle to slide through. How come it doesnt fit the plug? Were the spark plugs a different size back in the day? Or is it just not a plug wrench?

Canyon Man
11-13-2013, 06:10 PM
looks like a very clean machine you have there

redsox
11-13-2013, 06:15 PM
very cool! Is that the same tool box as in the first picture?

This might be a good thread to ask this question: My original tool kit under the seat of my 85 BR has a plug wrench (double ended socket sort of thing) with a hole for the screwdriver handle to slide through. How come it doesnt fit the plug? Were the spark plugs a different size back in the day? Or is it just not a plug wrench?

i thought it was a lug wrench. i've never tried to use it. i'm not sure. awesome tool box!!

OKSTATE#1
11-14-2013, 02:07 AM

It is indeed the same tool box as in the first pic. I had begun some light sanding on the box and knocked off the old paint that someone had tried to use on it previously. Did some more work on it today….Heres a few pics of the box painted. Its actually a work in progress….I still have some little areas I want to clean up on the trike, the right sticker isn't a good match, I have a nice set that I purchased from a member here and am going to put those on next. I have the other clamp for my speedo, but its broken, I just need to fix it. Other than that, I am pretty proud of this little machine. It runs as good as it looks. I love the speed you can get out of the 250R, but my heart will always lie with the BR. Just love how comfortable it is, and it isn't going to be a garage queen I'm afraid. I am going to use it this spring on some camping trips and it gets used at my parent's acreage as well.

OKSTATE#1
11-14-2013, 02:11 AM
Oh, and on the topic of the wrench from above, I believe it is a 17mm wrench and coupled with the rod can be used in disassembly of the front axle. That is what I used it for anyway back in 85 with my original Big Red.

yaegerb
11-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Very nice bike and super clean. Oh and I love the Willy's you got sitting in the back drop. I have always wanted one of those.

Big G
11-14-2013, 12:24 PM
That is a very nice Big Red you have there. What's the story behind it?

Also, you got a brand new 250 Big Red when you were 12? Man, how'd you talk your parents into that one. I remember in '85 I was 8, and begged my parents day in and day out for a Z50. I never did get one :cry:

OKSTATE#1
11-14-2013, 01:32 PM
The story? Here's what I know...and I don't care, I will tell ya what I paid and all lol...

I bought this off of a gentleman in Minnesota. He had it for about a dozen years or so, he told me that the previous owner rarely rode it. The guy I bought it from maintained it to a T. He drained gas out of it during periods of storage and kept the oil changed. Very well maintained. Also kept it very clean, as you can see it doesn't have much in the way if buildup anywhere. It's been inside during storage it's whole life. I paid 1850 for it (this was about 4 months ago), and got it shipped the next day lol. Worked out really well. The shipper was based nearby it just so happened and he drove all night and it was in my driveway by 7am the next morning (I sent the payment out 12 hours earlier). Smoothest transaction ever. The tires are originals, still have a red line on all three (the ones you see on it now are a set I picked up for riding, the originals will be used only for show) and I have a fairly new original spare as well. So I have 7 original Ohtsus on original wheels lol. I'm weird like that :)

The speedo is a NOS unit, had no miles when I got it. Has about 24 on it now. I have another speedo head unit, probably should have used it and kept the NOS unit for show but oh well. All original clamps and gearbox, and cable as well. No cracks anywhere in the plastic. The plastics do have some slight scratches, and maybe someday I will try and fix that too. Mint original tool kit and owners manual.

Anyway, that's about it. I didn't have to do much to it when I got it besides paint the racks and touch up some little places on the gas tank. Well....actually I did buy a new ignition switch assembly that I found, the old one wasn't bad but the paint on the letters had come off some. I am terribly OC about my toys...

Dad surprised me after school back in 6th grade. He picked me up and handed me a hat that was a blue coruroy that said HONDA ATC with a little 250r in a slide with a rider. He said, "thought you would like a new hat"....he didn't say another word until we got home, and as we drove in, there sat the new shiny Big Red. It was the coolest thing ever. Dad had a heart attack 2 years ago and it kicked off his dementia really bad, so I guess I have been kinda going back and getting things that remind me of how he was. The jeep is something we bought together and restored together, plus I'm a jeep nut, so that explains it's existence a bit. Sorry this is so long. Just wanted to give some background on everything.

yaegerb
11-14-2013, 01:40 PM
I just love the fact that you have base molding in your garage ;)

OKSTATE#1
11-14-2013, 03:40 PM
I do lol...as bad as I am about noticing details, I never knew that was there :lol:

I didn't have the house built, just bought it. Plan on adding a race deck floor and some things, may get rid of the molding....the jeep isn't usually in that garage, it's usually out at my shop on some other land. Been doing some work on it as well.

If anybody wants to see pics of the jeep, I am about to install a period correct heater on it and a couple of other items. I love the old Willys jeeps (all jeeps actually). Just like the BR, my jeep has a few rare accessories too.

Big G
11-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Great story - thanks for sharing. Always nice to bring back those childhood memories eh! But I'm sorry to hear about your pops.

Dirtcrasher
11-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Crap, what tools does a HONDA need??

Maybe a Z needs an impeller, a kickstarter cover and a fuel pump for spares. But a Honda ?? :lol:

yaegerb
11-20-2013, 11:04 AM
I do lol...as bad as I am about noticing details, I never knew that was there :lol:

I didn't have the house built, just bought it. Plan on adding a race deck floor and some things, may get rid of the molding....the jeep isn't usually in that garage, it's usually out at my shop on some other land. Been doing some work on it as well.

If anybody wants to see pics of the jeep, I am about to install a period correct heater on it and a couple of other items. I love the old Willys jeeps (all jeeps actually). Just like the BR, my jeep has a few rare accessories too.

I'll take you up on that. I would love to see up close pics of the jeep and what you have done to it :) My daily driver is an 08 JK Rubicon....its my baby