PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a 250es!!

hatc200x1
11-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Alright guys, finally got a 250es. Its a 1986, and I payed 300 bucks for it. rear brake is stuck, and needs some work, already started working on this thing and loving it!!
It has a plastic tank on it. It will need all new plastics, either fix the racks or get new ones, front forks are stuck, need front brake guts, need key and ignition switch, battery, super good carb clean and rebuild(worst carb ive ever seen in my life)

hatc200x1
11-04-2013, 12:45 AM
More pics. I have the rear plastics and fendes I just pulled them to get at things better.

kb0nly
11-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Wow that carb is nasty!!! Thats what happens with a full tank of gas slowly evaporates through the carb... LOL

hatc200x1
11-04-2013, 01:15 AM
I couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled the bowl off, some of it crumbled onto the work bench...

C.J
11-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Yeeeeaaaaa there ya go homie! LOT of work there bro! You'll do her up goood I know

Ghostv2
11-04-2013, 02:35 AM
I have seen some bad carbs in the last few years that were more like moldy and mildewy, but have yet to get one like that. To restore that carb i think youll need to give it one of those sonic cleanings i have heard about. Cool machine though, wish i had a ES.

hatc200x1
11-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Yeah ive been soaking it in clr for 20 minutre intervals and its been cleaning it up pretty good :)

dougspcs
11-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Wow man, I'm excited for you..but I'll give a word of advice from a guy who went neck deep on a project like this.

Understand you'll spend more making this a good machine again than buying a good runner..open your wallet and let the cash flow!!

So if you want to get out now it's not too late..if you buy a clean rig this will make great parts!

I finished my project trike..'Back in Black' in the spring and stopped counting the cost of the project at around the $2000 mark..

This need to be a labour of love, because like a good woman..she ain't coming cheap!

Good luck!

PS..send that carb to FlyingW(Jim)..I think his going rate is $80 to rebuild. You'll be fighting the gunk from that carb til the second Tuesday after hell freezes! At least if it's done the Jim way you'll never have to cross that bridge again! You've got lots of battles to fight on that machine..that one is an easy choice in my opinion..

kb0nly
11-04-2013, 12:13 PM
I second the work Jim does on these carbs. Those ES/SX carbs SUCK... I had one that i fought off and on for a week til i finally gave up and bought a replacement.

hatc200x1
11-04-2013, 02:21 PM
i have no problem with a project,actually i prefer it haha. i may have to send it to jim to be rebuilt.

Canyon Man
11-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I have a very similar project going on but MUCH worse shape than yours. I have pics here somewhere. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/159851-Big-Red-Project But I only paid $130. But the way I look at it, all the pieces I put on I go over with a fine tooth comb. And I am completely familiar with every single piece. It is kinda like a rebuild. Where as sometimes you buy one good to go but you might also be buying someone elses problems. When you start out like you and I, you can vouch for every part on it. Just my .02

hatc200x1
11-04-2013, 11:47 PM
I also love to save trikes and buy newly made parts to help support the companies making them!

hatc200x1
02-03-2014, 02:07 AM
Heres kind of an update on this. That carb is junk. Im sending it to Jim Baldwin for parts and he will salvage what he can out of it and I will buy a fresh carb from him.

I purchased some forks from a member on here, I fully rebuilt those with new seals, oil and fork boots. I have to re-thread the end of the axle as the threads are dinged up.

I finally got spark on this old beast!!

I took of the stator cover a month or so ago to see what the stator looked like to see if it was bad and I noticed that the starter reduction gears were missing, as well as the starter teeth all chewed up, so I need to get a new starter and I also purchased new starter gear reduction gears from a member on here. I already put new steering stem bearings in it, and new front wheel bearings and seals.
But looks as soon as I get the carb I can here this thing run!! I should be buying a full set of new Maier plastic here soon. I also still have to straighten the racks and repaint them but that is still to come. How hard is it to replace rear wheel bearings on these 250es big reds? I should probably put new ones in. Also will be looking for new taillights here soon.

I will be posting pictures of its current state up here shortly.

kb0nly
02-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Make sure the stator isn't chewed up, a lot of the time those starter reduction gears go to heck and bits of metal gets attracted to the magnets in the flywheel and gets ground into the stator which ruins it. I would take it all apart and clean and inspect to make sure you don't have any bits left in there. Along with flushing the crankcase good to get any pieces out.

The wheel bearings arent that bad in my opinion, just follow the service manual.

hatc200x1
02-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Alright thanks man. I will check that out when im putting in the new gears.

hatc200x1
02-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Update on this: I got a new carb from Jim (Flyingw) and I also purcahsed new throttle cable, choke cable, brake cables, rear wheel bearings, tons of missing/busted bolts and nuts, and some other misc items. Tonight I fired her up. It runs pretty decent but there seems to be a lot of top end noise? Maybe they are supposed to be like this but it is ticking pretty loud. Would you guys suggest a valve adjustment and timing chain adjustment?

hatc200x1
04-15-2014, 11:23 PM
Well I found out that these have auto timing chain adjusters, I checked the valve clearence and it was spot on!!! So I went ahead and fired her up with the valve covers and the noise is definitely coming from the timing chain. Ordered up a new timing chain, and a gasket set. Also went ahead and ordered a new battery, Uni air filter, tubes for the tires, and a complete set of NEW maier plastics. Plastics came from zmperformance and I highly suggest buying from them!! GREAT shipping prices. Right now the Engine is pulled ready for the timing chain swap, The rear end is pulled for a new axle bearings and swingarm pivot bearings. Also have a new shaft drive boot for it. The drive shaft splines are in nice shape, the is also no play in the u-joint. This thing is coming along and getting close to being done!!

MojaveRider
04-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Post some pics when it's all back together.

cap
04-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Good on you for bringing that machine back from the dead! You can feel a real sense of accomplishment when your able to do that kind of work.

MattDragontamer
04-17-2014, 03:50 AM
I'm a little late to the party... But it looks like you have a good project there... Nothing like working from the frame up... Especially when the frame is the only thing left... :p

But seriously, I hope things come together nicely for ya.