PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle Stryker tires

slashfan7964
11-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Hey guys what are your opinions on these tires. I've had a set on my 200X for a long time (not much use). They have holes in them and like to go flat despite having a lot of tread (hit a nail). This is only on one side.

Performance wise for the trails I don't think they can be beat. They provide amazing traction, go through a lot and a stupidly smooth ride at least in my opinion. Looking to hear from you guys to see what you think.

These are the tires:

http://www.treaddepot.com/prodimg/carlisle-stryker-group-large.png

I know a lot of people use these...they aren't exactly the same thing.

http://oesystem.jmatv.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/o/wooly_booger_atv_tire_2.jpg

C.J
11-01-2013, 04:23 PM
They are both knock off's of the Wooly Booger.

They get SUPER hard, like a Trail Pro. They are ok-ish, but there's a lot better tires out there.

1) HEAVY
2) They get HARD
3) the side walls are bad about breaking down and you get a soft spot in it to where the side wall will fold in JUST that spot so it kinda hops when you ride

That's about my experience with them. I don't like them very much honestly but I guess they are decent enough and they are cheap.
If you could find some original wooly boogers they are great. I have an ollddddd set on some 200X rims that I've never ran. They come from the factory with holes to put ice studs in them, they stay real plyable and don't wear too bad. But still aren't the greatest tire. For trail riding they are decent so long as you aren't on thick-ish pine needles (or they slide) and if you run them backwards they are a decent enough sand tire for a 110/185/200

RIDE-RED 250r
11-01-2013, 07:03 PM
I had a set on my 86 Quad Sport back in the day when I was a kid. HATE HATE HATE those tires! They started getting weather checked early and splitting between the shoulder knobs and of course started leaking air like a sive.

I found they stunk for traction in mud and snow. They were descent in dirt and gravel. I think the Strykers were just plain made of too hard a compound of rubber. You know, the softness of the rubber the tire is made of is just as important for traction as the tread design...

Actually, I found the OEM tires from a Quad Sport a much better all-round tire on that machine. Those OEM Dunlops actually did BETTER in mud and snow than the Strykers.

Of course, my experience with them was back in the early 90's. It is entirely possible they are using a better compound of rubber these days.

I found the old Dick Cepek Spyder Tracs to be much better in mud and snow, and much more durable.

I would put Trail Pros on a machine long before I would consider a set of Strykers. Not for spite, but I really think Trail Pros are a better tire! :D

effort=results
11-01-2013, 10:25 PM
i will say love every set i had. when i was 15 i had a set of strykers on my 87 big red and they lasted for ever and were great all around tires. the strykers a stiff. i hava a set on my 1980 185 now . i also have the duro knock off wooly boogers on my current big red and 110 and they eat ! and not stiff very comfortable .check them doin the work in the mud at 1:45
http://youtu.be/nfIh_Frc_Ck

http://youtu.be/nfIh_Frc_Ck

slashfan7964
11-02-2013, 12:26 AM
I agree in my experience the rubber is VERY stiff but they seem decent enough for trail riding. I've ridden stockers in the snow and they slid a lot, haven't really used these ones in snow. In mud they seem decent. I will say they seem to last a while. I will also agree they are heavy. They are replacements for my half worn stock rears which I still have. These were off my other X.

Thanks for the opinions guys. They seem mixed. Hope to get more. I have friends that like them and I don't think they look half bad.

effort=results
11-02-2013, 01:35 AM
i like the wooly booger way over the stryker.

Scootertrash
11-02-2013, 06:50 AM
I had Strykers on my 200s and I still have them stashed in the shed for putting on rollers when I doing a build. I switched to Bear Claws and love 'em and would never go back.

Blown 331
11-02-2013, 08:45 AM
For a sport model 3-wheeler I like stock 400ex or stock 450R tires. I could see something like this on a big red but thats about it and definitely would not be my first choice, yes I've owned some.

effort=results
11-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Ya I wouldn't have them on a 200x. But I love them on my utility style wheelers.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-02-2013, 08:11 PM
I will add that in my experience,Wooly Boogers were a MUCH better tire in mud and snow. Even though the tread pattern is very similar to Strykers, they seem to be made of a noticeably softer compound. I refer back to what I said about tire compound playing a factor in traction.....

CRAZY70MAN
11-02-2013, 11:42 PM
I had Strykers on my 200s and I still have them stashed in the shed for putting on rollers when I doing a build. I switched to Bear Claws and love 'em and would never go back.

X 2 on the bear claws!!! I have a set of strykers on my 200es that I plow with. They get the job done with weight on the rear in snow but would not be my first choice in the mud. Compound seemed really hard and made them slick in the trails on an old 200x I had that I used to ride at Wellsville. They were awesome as far as rock proof though. Those bearclaws kick arss man........seriously....

slashfan7964
11-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Again thanks for your input guys keep em coming.

tanks350x
11-03-2013, 01:38 AM
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/26458/i/cheng-shin-lumberjack-mud-snow-front-tire?SiteID=Google_PLA1475&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&kw={keyword}&gclid=CO7C6-Xyx7oCFYM9QgodfSAAgg I have a set of these on my stock rims, pretty much the same style as the strykers..pretty much bullet proof as well