PDA

View Full Version : 200x problems

Evan Hagenow
11-01-2013, 01:54 PM
A couple weeks ago I was riding my three wheeler and it blew the head gasket out of it. I figured that since I didn't torque the head down properly that is what caused it to blow. But after I replaced the head gasket and put it back together it wouldn't even act like it was going to start. It would kick very easily and I wouldn't get anything out of it except for a small pop at the end. I was wondering if blowing the head gasket could cause the piston or the valve seals to go bad. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

CodyRosa
11-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Depends.. how long did you run it with the head gasket blown? You could have heated up the machine.. having a head gasket leak makes it run lean as it is sucking in air.. hence why cars with blown headgaskets get hot from sitting. If you shut it off instantly then I doubt anything got wrecked. Only way to know for sure is if you do a compression test on it. I've blown a few headgaskets and nothing bad has come of it.. just replaced and ran it again.

Evan Hagenow
11-01-2013, 02:06 PM
It started popping the day before so I'm betting it was sucking air. I didn't want to believe something was wrong since my and my buddies were riding them in a parade that day. So Im betting the piston is shot since it was sucking air for probably a couple hours of riding.

slashfan7964
11-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Luckily these engines are simple to work on....I just hope you haven't done a lot of work to it. That would be just wasted time.

rg97
11-01-2013, 05:02 PM
If it ran like that for a few hours, i say that you probably scored your piston and cylinder wall and destroyed your rings, but no way to know until you get into it. if the piston and wall check out (no damage, within tolerances), then get a new head gasket, buy some rings, and have at it. :D