PDA

View Full Version : 84 250r hub help

ColtonGG33
10-28-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm trying to get the axle out of my 250r gettin it ready for some work, and that dang hub just does not want to come off? I tried a lot of things with it to get it off, I have it soaking in pb blaster hoping that it will do the trick, if it doesn't work, does anyone know a way to get it off without ruining it?

All help will be appriciated!

Colton

Jason125m
10-28-2013, 05:48 PM
On my 86 when I bought it, I had to put the swingarm in a vice, heat the hub red hot with my oxy propane torch, and smack the axle with a block of wood and a 10 lb sledge. 50 hits later it finally came off. Of course since I heated the hub so much, it was garbage.

I tried everything ( hammers, oil, heat, pullers, etc ), what i did was a last resort, but it worked and left my axle intact.

Just make sure to not heat the axle red hot. I've had a few people mention that because of the heat, my axle strength has been jeopardized, but 2 years later, riding every weekend, jumping, climbing, smashing rocks. Still straight as an arrow

I've heard of some people cutting theirs off, but I see most people damage their axle in the process.

It was odd because the rest of the 86 is so clean, but the axle was in terrible shape.

ColtonGG33
10-28-2013, 11:27 PM
i managed to get the other hub off pretty easy, a some heat and hammers and it came of as for the other one, i got it to move a little bit but i dont think its gonna come out, but with the hub i got off it should be fine for me to remove the axle to replace the bearings. thanx for the info jason!

Bren_downe
10-29-2013, 01:45 AM
Mattdragontamer had a neat trick he used for his Taurus resto, I think he soaked it in ATF and laquer thinner. Supposed to be the best penetrant ever. Don't forget to grease those splines before you put them back on to prevent it from happening in the future.

Bren_downe
10-29-2013, 01:51 AM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/160278-1985-87-Taurus-650-by-ODG-(Argo)
Found it, 50/50 acetone and power steering fluid, he didn't think it helped much but hey, ya never know might be worth a shot.

Jwmajic
10-29-2013, 03:18 AM
I've always used the heat beat and repeat method and I've never damaged a hub or axel I just take my time and don't get it too hot or hit it too hard. It just takes a lot of patience. and a heavy hammer helps.