PDA

View Full Version : 125M yard find

jeswinehart
10-24-2013, 08:13 PM
A co-worker told me he had seen a trike by a shed at one of our customers so I went and had a look
Owner had purchased them from where a bunch of us went riding 2 weeks ago,,,, Baldwin, Michigan. He had spotted them up under a lean too while snowmobile riding the previous year.
What caught my eye more so then the great condition of the dismantled one was the shifter, a hand shifter. And when the owner rolled out the daily rider 125M and it had the same hand shifter on it, well ain't never seen those before.
I asked how much for the dismantled one missing the rear axle/tires and he said 75 dollars.
He is very sure the rest of the machine is under the lean too since he had checked them both over before but had a friend pick them up.
He is heading back up to Baldwin in a week or so and plans on getting the rest of the parts which also includes 2 windsheilds (both trikes have the mounting hardware for the windsheilds on them).
I told him I would stop back by next week and if he found all the parts to the tail end I would give him a extra 50 dollars.
Another board member and I may go in on the disassembled one and see what we can make of it they are both 1985.
Seat ain't the correct one for the stripped down trike, close but has too much lip on it at the tank area. Inside of gas tank looks179477179478179479179480179481179482179483 factory new.

redsox
10-24-2013, 08:20 PM
score city!! good for you! the shifter is cool. be great for someone with leg problems.

tripowersport
10-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Wow,Nice find!!!

Ghostv2
10-24-2013, 09:02 PM
$125 for that trike, some parts, and a windshield is a hell of a score. Tried firing it up yet?

zppeacock
10-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Sell me that shifter!!

Howdy
10-24-2013, 09:58 PM
I could use that!!!
Howdy

slashfan7964
10-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Nice score!

kb0nly
10-24-2013, 11:14 PM
That shifter is neat, any markings on it or is it something someone just made up?

As for the seat on the stripped one, its the correct seat, just not sitting right, they curl with age and don't meet the tank anymore. Can be fixed with a hot air gun and rebending the plastic seat pan. Been there done that! I rarely see a 125M that has a seat that matches the tank correctly. It also looks like the tank isnt all the way forward on its mounts so the rear fenders can't match up to the back end of the tank correctly. Nothing wrong, just not sitting right... LOL

The daily rider looks nice!

Big G
10-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Beautiful find. Those rims/hubs are near spotless on the daily driver - looks like original tires too. I never come across 125's.

oldskool83
10-25-2013, 03:58 PM
great scott marty!

jeswinehart
10-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Kb, I do believe you are correct in saying the fenders are too far forward. When I picked it up on my way home I took a glance at that and sure enough, they appeared to be set forward (and not latched down of course).
I got a area cleared off in the back storage area, on the big bench for it to rest inside out of the elements and I will get to check it out a little more comfortably in the morning.
Owner was home and said his trip back up north would be awhile,,, okay no hurry I suppose.
I did find the little rubber cover that fits over the right side of engine case. I'm sure if the owner had noticed it in the parts box it may very well ended up on his 125M rider.
The front tire on the carcus I picked up is also oem with wear but still nice enough to use for sure. Tool box has something in it based on the rattle/feel of it. Sure hoping there is a oem tool kit in there !
Turns over well with compression so I am sure I will be wanting to squirt a wee bit of starting fluid in the carb just to see if it will fire.

kb0nly
10-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Why did they tear apart the right side though? Bad clutch or broken shift stopper? Hope its just clutch issues!! Hopefully a good flush and you can get it all cleaned out and working.

tripledog
10-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Nice score for sure! As an aside; aerosol carb cleaner is safer for the engine than starting fluid, yet it will still "git-r-run". It sure is nice to see these old machines go to a loving home...

M.Pargiello
10-25-2013, 10:17 PM
That's awesome John!

Jason125m
10-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Wow John, what a great find.

I'd love to have a few more of these trikes, especially ones that clean.

Great deal forsure! Enjoy them, they are my favorite ATC

jeswinehart
10-26-2013, 06:42 PM
I got the 125M stashed away until the fella I got it from can locate the missing parts. I found that it is a 84 model and the seat/fenders do fit properly (good eye KB !)
The clutch is locked up and I did not try to fire it up.
In conversation with Howdy, he is positive there was a aftermarket hand shifter available back in the day.
Being there was one on the other 125M plus it had the aftermarket rack (nice one too) plus the mention of a couple of windshields to be picked up with the parts that are not on the trike I got I am leaning towards the notion the 2 machines was outfitted with after market parts soon after they was purchased.
The tool box had a new plug and 2 oem spark plug wrenchs in it,,, nothing else.
While Howdy digs thru his vintage paperwork about the hand shifter if any one has more info on those please chime in !

Thanks, john

kb0nly
10-27-2013, 01:16 AM
I have dealt with enough 125's and i have bent back a few seat pans! They are a pretty common model around me, if its not a 125M its a 200 in the shed when someone says they got an old Honda.

I can't get over how nice the parted out one looks, the frame and motor look pretty darn clean, not rusty, etc. Big thing will be to tear into the motor and find out if its worth repairing, someone scrapped it for a reason i am betting.

That shifter is damn cool! I have never seen one like it before, period. I have dealt with plenty of them with the Moose shifter that just clamps onto the shift pedal and gives you a suicide shifter, but never one like that. The thing i like about that one you have is the weight of the shifter isn't resting on the shifter. Those Moose ones flail around when you hit bumps, enough to jiggle the shifter and eventually they wear the shifter out at the splines from that extra weight shaking around on it.

The two you have look slightly different, thats why i was wondering it they were something someone built. The parts unit is bolted to the shifter arm, the runner has it bolted through the pedal on the end of the shifter. If they were an aftermarket kit i don't see why both of them would have been installed differently. Unless they were modified at some point.

Hoping some info turns up!