PDA

View Full Version : Can my 200x ever keep up with my 82 250R? Which bike to keep dilema....

hawaiirider
10-22-2013, 03:48 PM
:confused:
my 200x had a 10.25 to 1 piston, dg carb and pipe, clamp on unifliter, port job, and a high lift camshaft
and
my bone stock 82 250r will destroy it!!
i just got the 250r but wow, its a near perfect bike! motor is perfect stock, lots of torque and top end, jumps great, handles great (w holeshots)
i just tore my x down to put a 12 to 1 piston in it but now im having second thoughts on my x...
reliablitly and longivity are the key for me, thats why i chose the x to start with
this 250r starts first kick everytime tho and seems to be lasting quite a while.
Your imput????????

yaegerb
10-22-2013, 04:12 PM
All things being equal i would say leave your X the way it is....

If you are building up your X just to beat your R then I would say you are spending your money foolishly. How deep are your pockets and are you planning on doing some of your own R&D to get the HP in the low 30's? In the end you will have a 200x that has very low dependability and is no longer fun on the trails.

That being said....Is it possible to have a highly modified 200x beat a stock 82 250R?, I would say its possible. My first 200s I designed to be a rocket and paid for all the goodies to run it as fast it would possible go (and believe me with no suspension out back, it was a fast-bumpy ride). In fact, I raced a 1982 250R down an old abandoned highway that a friend of mine was riding. I got smoked off of the starting line, but I did catch up and eventually pass him. I thought it was pretty cool, but for the money I paid to do it, it ended up being a waste of time.

rg97
10-22-2013, 04:37 PM
smaller cc 4 stroke vs larger cc 2 stoke will never win, but some say miracles do happen. dont waste all of your time and money for a lost cause.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-22-2013, 07:36 PM
I would keep them both, but that's just me.

I would say it's a pretty tall order to build a 200x to beat even a 1st gen R.

hawaiirider
10-22-2013, 08:01 PM
this is true, cant keep both, need the money out of one. didnt know id like the R so much.
how long does the R's motor last in comparisson?

RIDE-RED 250r
10-22-2013, 08:34 PM
In general, with maintenance regiments being equal, the 4-stroke engine will go more hours between rebuilds.

BUT, comparing the cost of a complete, full top to bottom rebuild, the 4-stroke engine is more expensive. It's basically the same till you add in the cost of valve/valvetrain rebuild and reconditioning...

manbearpig
10-22-2013, 08:57 PM
yes. your 200x certainly can keep up with and lay smack down on your 250R... if you can ride a built to the hilt race 200x like Mac Moore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH1H6gDtdnY

hatc200x1
10-22-2013, 11:08 PM
250r will always trash that 200x, dont spend 3 grand building it and still have it barely beat it, and then have to rebuild it atleast once a year. Keep the 250r.

AIRFOOLERS RULE

Dirtcrasher
10-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Leave the 200X as modified as it is yet retaining reliability.

Lots of motors can be built to beat that 250R and the reliability regardless of maintenance will be gone.

Enjoy them both!...........

keister
10-23-2013, 11:43 AM
reliablitly and longivity are the key for me, thats why i chose the x to start with
this 250r starts first kick everytime tho and seems to be lasting quite a while.
Your imput????????

I always shyed away from 2-strokes... hearing stories and seeing first hand that they needed to be rebuilt so often.
Around 2008 I broke down and decided to buy a 250R (liquid, not air), assuming I would just rebuild it every year or so.
Fast forward 5 years.
I still haven't done a bit of motor work. I have done at least 25 MX, TT, FT races. 2 trips to the dunes running wide open all day every day.
My R is still on original bore and second set of rings (just like when I bought it). I have taken off the pipe and reeds to look at the cylinder walls.
Not perfect by any means, but no scoring, and I can even see some original cross hatching on the cylinder wall from the factory.
I hope I didn't just jinx myself by typing this, but my final point is - a well maintained, properly tuned 2-stroke can be every bit as dependable and bulletproof as a thumper.

hawaiirider
10-24-2013, 06:36 PM
sounds like the R is a keeper, i hate to part with my x tho, its fully street legal and has a electric start (which is nice!) on it.
But i ride big sand dunes here in winchester bay, thats just where the 250r shines!

oldskool83
10-24-2013, 07:06 PM
I think i'd keep the 250R only if you upgraded alot of is parts. a nice done up R will be worth more then a bone stock one to me. think with a 200x front end and a good rear shock with a plus 2 swingarm and a nicer wider axle your R will come out giving more smiles.

200xs are the most expensive way to go slow...I'm $6,500 and counting. Will I sell it, nope cuz no one will ever have one like it lol and for what I do the 200x will be fine.