PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a KXT 250 Tecate

ATC NUT
10-10-2013, 09:59 PM
I just bought a kxt 250 for 450.00 ...it's complete but the guy says the stator needs to be replaced..no fire ...I will be picking it up Saturday...any thing to look for any known problems it's a 85...I would like to make it look like the later version with the radiators on the frame is this possilble?

Yamaha_Rules69
10-10-2013, 10:29 PM
These are notorious for stator/flywheel problems. There are upgrades and new parts available to fix the problem. As far as making it look like an 86-87, that would be hard. There would be a complete front end swap involved, including modifications to the frame to accept the tank, shrouds, and rads, IF it will even fit or work, I don't know. If you wand a second gen, buy a 2nd gen. The parts you would need alone form the 2nd gen would far exceed your initial price you paid for the bike. 2nd gen parts are very expensive, and some very hard to find. IMO, keep it as it is, and add the trick parts to make it look killer! You can make these look awesome with the right parts, there are some sweet 84 and 85's on here, just look around.

tmhcycle
10-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Ive seen guys use oem frt and rear fenders on 84-85 tecates and it looked sweet

nd4speed
10-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Post some pics when u get it. Sounds like good price. I sold a guy some 1984 KX250 tank,rads, shrouds so he could try to put them on T3 but I dont think it ever happened. Supposedly it has been done but pics are few and modifications are more than average person wants to get into.

cochran
10-11-2013, 02:39 PM
I am not a fan of guys trying to make their 1st gens into 2nd gens. Just doesn't look right to me. 1st gens are unique with the fat front and short stance. Pure race trikes when built properly.

jb2wheels
10-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Check the rubber intake manifold between the carb and cylinder for leaks. jeswinehart makes reproductions of these. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/member.php/136-jeswinehart
He'll also upgrade your flywheel for what I recall being a great price - worth the peace of mind.
Stator coil set is only $40 shipped from Ricky Stator.

At one time, I had 4 85s around the house. This is what I learned/noticed:
- 3 of the 4 had rusty fork tubes. I must have 6 or 8 crappy rusty T3 fork tubes in the garage.
- If you have the stock air filter cage in the airbox, keep it. They're hard to find.
- Radiators leak. Usually around the mounts. And/or the mounts are just torn off.
- Chain slider on the swingarms missing/torn. Another jeswinehart repop though!
- I only really had one bad intake, one bad stator, and one bad flywheel.
- Gen 1 plastics are hard to find and expensive when you do.
- Original lights, switches and wiring for same are hard to come by.

Other than that, it's the same maintenance items as any other 30 year old toy: bearings, brakes, chain, sprockets, tires, etc.

I hear the frames crack near the footpegs (84 only?) and grab bar mounts but none of mine had/have cracks.

An absolute kick in the butt to ride!

ATC NUT
10-11-2013, 07:31 PM
What about the cdi unit ? do they usally go out? What happens to the flywheel ? What would the ohms be for the stator coils?..I will post pics asap

Yamaha_Rules69
10-11-2013, 11:05 PM
The magnets are glued to the inside of the flywheel from the factory. After 20 - 30 years, the glue is worn out, and the magnet will fall off when the engine is running, and with the spinning force, will destroy the stator assembly, and possibly jam up and lock up the motor at the crank. This happened to mine one time a long time ago. My 84 rear frame near grab bar was destroyed when I picked it up, and had been mended back together with rebar, but I never noticed any cracks near the footpegs.

ATC NUT
10-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Ok, got the Tecate home...The stator had already been removed but he had it and the cover. I tried to ohm it out the lighting coil and the coil under it had no ohm value....It's has the stock pipe but missing the silencer...Grab bar is missing...Intake boot has cracks..it has maier plastics the low profile one on the rear ..everything is faded...Someone knocked the studs out of the hubs the back wheels are held on by small screws...They are 8in wheels so i know they aren't right don't even think the pattern is right...Can the later hubs be swaped out ? I think it can be brought around for less than 1k..engine has good compression ...I've been looking around for parts I can find a pipe but not a silencer...grab bar seems easy to get as well as the stator...can;t find the 85 wheels ...any body know who makes this stuff let me know?

jeswinehart
10-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Hi Phil, I make the intake boots and the front chain slider (if needed) plus I do a upgrade onn the stock flywheel
intake boot shipped @ 60.00
slider @ shipped at 30.00
Flywheel exchange 65.00 shipped
Bundled price ~ even better.

Darned if I can find any other photo's tonight !

ATC NUT
10-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks ..The intake boot is cracked but I don't know how bad just yet...need to check that slider also I may have to get both Ill let you know...I've always been a HONDA guy but..I remember being out run by a TECATE back in 85..have wanted one ever since....Now to find a TRI Z..