PDA

View Full Version : Electric motor on a trike?

John 4
10-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Has anyone ever powered a trike with an electric motor? I am wanting to try this for stealthy transportation to and from my deer hunting stand. Any ideas from any of you guys out there?

Ghostv2
10-09-2013, 11:10 PM
My question would be are you going to have enough room for all those batteries. Plus the money to buy an electric motor and batteries. Then you got to have the supplies and tools plus the know how to modify the trike. Is there any way to silence a smaller engine trike enough to be up to par with your standards? Either way your not going to be silent, crunching leaves and twigs driving around. I know personally i have been riding and seen deer and just stopped and they stood there until i moved. Not even going to get into the stories about turkeys, i almost hit a few during their last hatch.

dougspcs
10-09-2013, 11:23 PM
I say get an ATC110/125..they are about as quiet as it gets.

You want super stealthy electric 48v golf cart, lifted with atv tires!!

Ghost is right, you'll have a devil of a time jamming motor, electrical controls, and enough batteries to get a decent days riding in..take some serious money, engineering, and fabbing skills.

John 4
10-09-2013, 11:23 PM
My question would be are you going to have enough room for all those batteries. Plus the money to buy an electric motor and batteries. Then you got to have the supplies and tools plus the know how to modify the trike. Is there any way to silence a smaller engine trike enough to be up to par with your standards? Either way your not going to be silent, crunching leaves and twigs driving around. I know personally i have been riding and seen deer and just stopped and they stood there until i moved. Not even going to get into the stories about turkeys, i almost hit a few during their last hatch. I have access to new motors and batteries, I have plenty of tools and the know how, but I was just looking to see if anyone has successfully done this so I had a good place to start from. My stand locations are all within a half mile from home and I sure don't have to go fast either!

dougspcs
10-10-2013, 07:09 AM
I have access to new motors and batteries, I have plenty of tools and the know how, but I was just looking to see if anyone has successfully done this so I had a good place to start from. My stand locations are all within a half mile from home and I sure don't have to go fast either!

I saw a YouTube vid of a trike with an electric motor..speed sure wasn't an issue! The thing was really fast..

But range??

If you do a build, start a thread and document it..I'm sure there will no shortage of interest!!

dougspcs
10-10-2013, 07:46 AM
I found the youtube video..problem is the operator isn't wearing a helmet so I can't post it, but you can search it up yourself..

The search word on youtube is: EV Honda ATC Conversion

If the operator is the builder he obviously has a brain, too bad he doesn't want to protect it!!

coolpool
10-10-2013, 09:39 AM
How about one of the slip on exhaust silencers that are available for quads. With a a little fabbing you should get the results you want.

atc007
10-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Wow, John,we will have to meet sometime. I have a customer with more money than brains,, by a LONG shot. And In all of my spare time, I have seriously wanted to build him an electric quad. He will buy it. He's told me for years. But he doesn't want a badboy buggy and will NOT buy a gas powered one. His car is fine! But he will not buy a combustion powered quad. It wouldn't be that hard with the quad. With a 3 wheeler though?? Challenging. I would seriously put a Stealth muffler on a 125M or 110. I seriously doubt ,actually, I know. It wouldn't disturb the game ANY more than the actual movement through the woods like ghost said. You would barely here her put :)

John 4
10-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the posts guys. I actually have my eye on an Atc 110. What is the exhaust that I would be looking for?

Ghostv2
10-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Well i watched that video and he also came across the problems of where to put the batteries (6 in total). If you saw they were sticking out the back, guess it also serves as a wheelie bar. You know when i saw this post i thought who would ever actually think this up and consider this? Then someone actually did it and put it on youtube.

John 4
10-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Well i watched that video and he also came across the problems of where to put the batteries (6 in total). If you saw they were sticking out the back, guess it also serves as a wheelie bar. You know when i saw this post i thought who would ever actually think this up and consider this? Then someone actually did it and put it on youtube.I guess I can understand why you might think that, but if you are a hunter and have ever riden an electric golfcart through the woods you would understand why I desire this. An electric golfcart goes through the fall woods almost as quietly as you can walk, it's really quite amazing!

Ghostv2
10-10-2013, 02:49 PM
I guess I can understand why you might think that, but if you are a hunter and have ever riden an electric golfcart through the woods you would understand why I desire this. An electric golfcart goes through the fall woods almost as quietly as you can walk, it's really quite amazing!

I am a hunter but unfortunately i have to walk to all my spots in the winter wearing tons of layers, a backpack, and a rifle. It sucks. But no i never got to ride a electric golf cart in general, just a gas one.
What i was saying is its just such a unique idea. I never heard of this before, or even an electric quad before. I thought who would ever think of doing this and then what are the odds someone actually did it and put it on youtube.

dougspcs
10-10-2013, 04:06 PM
I guess I can understand why you might think that, but if you are a hunter and have ever riden an electric golfcart through the woods you would understand why I desire this. An electric golfcart goes through the fall woods almost as quietly as you can walk, it's really quite amazing!

Yeah I have one..with their low centre of gravity from all the batteries and some decent tires they climb hills like a MOFO too!!

DC electric motors have killer low RPM torque..you almost can't stall them!!

John 4
10-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah I have one..with their low centre of gravity from all the batteries and some decent tires they climb hills like a MOFO too!!

DC electric motors have killer low RPM torque..you almost can't stall them!!
I too have a Yamaha electric golfcart that is in pretty good shape and totally capable, but it's a bit too big to go the places I'd like it to go.

Big Mike
10-10-2013, 05:18 PM
I've been thinking about this for months. I have an 80 185 chassis for this project just have to save up the money for parts.

my plan is all the controllers and such will go under the tank after I cut out the bottom. motor will come out and all tthe batteries will go in the cradle and I am thinking of using a dual shaft motor that will replace the rear end parts.

just ben
10-10-2013, 09:42 PM
I know a guy with an electric atc 70. Maybe he will chime in with some pics. It's a pretty neat little creation but I don't think he has ever ridden it. I think he bought it on the cheap already converted.