PDA

View Full Version : klt 250 locking diff?

Nubbinz
10-09-2013, 10:24 PM
So in some old posts I've read that the klt 250 rear end can be locked or unlocked. I've also heard it has gear oil that can be changed. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I can't find any sort of lever to unlock it, or any place that would hold fluid. I'm going to be riding it extensively this weekend and thought it may be useful to know how the axle unlocks, and I like to keep fresh fluids in my toys.

Nubbinz
10-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Its a klt 250A if it makes any difference. I know they made several different versions. Maybe the 250A lacks the unlocking axle? The rear looks like any other chain drive trike I've seen, and I would imagine it would have an obvious user friendly way of activating it

Dirtcrasher
10-10-2013, 08:39 PM
We have talked about them. Jeswhinehart or Howdy and some other guys know all about them. PM howdy if you don't get an answer in this thread..........

Yamaha_Rules69
10-10-2013, 10:04 PM
The KLT 200 also had locking differential. I used to own one. Go to the back of the trike, and look at the very rear of the "swingarm" or hub, where the axle goes through. There should be a square shaped plastic cover. Pop that off, and roll the machine ahead until you see a mechanism. There is a plate on top of it, and underneath there is an allen bolt. You loosen the allen bolt to have it in "differential mode" and tighten it to have it in "locked solid axle" mode. As far as the lube goes, on the KLT 200 I had, there was only a grease zerk, I believe right by that allen bolt. In differential mode, it can turn on a dime on pavement, but sucks everywhere else IMO. Never have it in differential mode if your going up a hill. The machine will have a tendancy to do a turn as you are going up the hill, or have no traction, as in one wheel drive.

86T3
10-11-2013, 10:39 AM
I think on the 250 s the locking device is at the end of the axle. Like a locking hub on a 4x4 truck front axle. Turn it one way to unlock, turn the other to unlock. I never had one but thats sticking out in my head for some reason, hope its not bad info

gvmc45
10-11-2013, 11:30 AM
i have an 83 250 with the diff, if yours is in fact an 82= solid axle. the knob would be where the left axle nut is on a solid axle klt. does this help?

tmhcycle
10-11-2013, 12:14 PM
The 82 klt250 doesnt have locking diff. The started the lock diff in 83 for klt 250-200 models and continued until last years made. And yes if it does have locking diff there is a knob at end of axle on right side.

Dirtcrasher
10-11-2013, 07:37 PM
We had talked about them because the Wheelie King used that setup to do his stunts....

Yamaha_Rules69
10-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Did the wheelie king really use the rear end off a klt to do his stunts? I seen a video one time of the guy that bought the wheelie kings wheeler, as he is dead now. The wheelie king had a trick setup with 2 rear brake master cylinders mounted on the frame, up near the tank, and a disc brakes, lines and calipers on each side of the axle, but I never really did know what was up with the axle. Anyway, when he would sharply turn left or right, it would apply pressure to that side brake, and he could go in a circle as he did a wheelie. He could also do straight line wheelies. Didn't he one time do a wheelie on it from a high rooftop to rooftop on two thin wires for the rear tires? Who was this original wheelie king guy, he was AWESOME! There should be a video of the wire stunt!

Dave Little
03-28-2014, 10:51 PM
I've got a line on a KLT250 with the locking diff, and that is really my only interest in the bike.....however I 'd like to know if the mechanism is simply a lock/unlock deal or if there is an actual differential with spider gears whereby with both wheels off the ground by turning one wheel in one direction the opposing wheel starts to rotate in the other direction. Howdy? Jeswhinehart?

big specht
03-29-2014, 09:06 AM
Yes it acts like a normal diff, the only problem is riding them with the diff unlocked on side hills