PDA

View Full Version : another frozen wrist pin thread

chargercharlie
10-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Breaking the motor down to send the head and cyl off to get worked over..and ofcourse I can't get the darn wrist pin out..I've slightly heated the rod and hammered ..I've sprayed enough kroil to drown a horse I made a push rod with two sockets similar to suggestions in the manual and these forums and I broke the all thread..c clamps also a no go..I suppose I can cut the piston off but that still leaves me a rod with a pin frozen in it..I've ran into quite a few pit falls with this bike and this one has put me at my limit i just had to walk away from it:mad: any other suggestions?..thanks fellas..

Ps I do have the circlips off heh..

Poco Loco
10-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Heat that piston. Thats usually the part that has the death grip on the pin. Aluminum reacts better to heat. Dont use a heat gun use a torch. Give it a try.

chargercharlie
10-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Heat that piston. Thats usually the part that has the death grip on the pin. Aluminum reacts better to heat. Dont use a heat gun use a torch. Give it a try.

I can slide the piston side to side on the pin which leads me to believe its seized in the connecting rod I've torched both..I think I'm just sol to be honest..

rg97
10-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Well, if you dont care about saving the piston, i dont know if you do, but it would be a lot easier to wrench on it if you cut the piston off. As for the rod and pin, i hope that other on here have a suggestion, because i'm drawing a blank

Poco Loco
10-01-2013, 11:28 PM
That sucks. Its gonna get ugly.

Dirtcrasher
10-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Simple deep socket on one side and a small socket sized a bit under the wrist pin O.D. Then a 3/8-16 threaded rod (or all thread as some people call it)pulls it out instead of harming the connecting rod........

How long have you guys been wrenching?? "drill it out", are you kidding me?? It is hard as a rock and would only damage stuff.................

kb0nly
10-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Simple deep socket on one side and a small socket sized a bit under the wrist pin O.D. Then a 3/8-16 threaded rod (or all thread as some people call it)pulls it out instead of harming the connecting rod........

How long have you guys been wrenching?? "drill it out", are you kidding me?? It is hard as a rock and would only damage stuff.................

Agreed... I have done the exact thing as he just described. I have done it with slightly smaller 5/16" rod and a nut on one side and the other side a large socket over the hole and then a thick fender washer and a nut. Hit it with the impact a few times and generally cracks it right loose. If not then a torch to the rod end, but i don't like heating up if i don't have to. Generally the impact will crack it loose and then i take it all apart.

I have also done one with a C-Clamp but if its that stuck your going to need the bolt and an impact to really stress that bugger till it gives up. Drilling? Yeah right! Those wrist pins are harder then H.E Double Toothpicks...

chargercharlie
10-02-2013, 12:42 AM

I broke the all thread doing this keep in mind though I was using 1/4 all thread my plan was to go up a few sizes when I got home from work in a couple of weeks. I didn't have a 3/8 drive 10mm dw socket..in the mean time while I'm gone ill figure out how t have it soaking while I'm gone

chargercharlie
10-02-2013, 12:43 AM
Thats exactly the way I did mine but with 1/4..broke that dude heh

atc007
10-02-2013, 06:34 AM
I hacksaw the piston off. Then put the rod in a vise,necked right up to the end,otherwise you WILL bend your rod. NO HEAT!!! Pound out the wrist pin,and clean the rod back up..I like the sounds of DC's way even better. But this is a very common problem on neglected 4 strokes. Particularly 200X,S,and especially 230 Sports.

chargercharlie
07-31-2014, 12:02 AM
Incase some one stumbles on this I ended up rigging a trough if you will under the piston in such a way that I could soak the small end of the rod while it was upright and in the motor..and filled it with naptha for a month and a half and finally came out with the homemade wrist pin pusher/puller ;)and thanks all for the help to everyone;)

fabiodriven
07-31-2014, 07:53 AM
Next time try CRC Freeze Off.

Scootertrash
07-31-2014, 09:56 PM
or try soaking it in cider