PDA

View Full Version : Oil coming out of silencer-tri-z

Tri-Z Pilot
12-28-2003, 02:09 AM
The new tri-z I got has a little bit of oil coming out of the tri-z's header pipe connection, but that doesnt bother me much, but there is a pure black oil coming out of the silencer,(not much though). Can this happen if the bike is running rich, (I think the choke is at half choke, it is pulled way up and out, it doesnt sit flush on the carb). There are receipts for the bottom end being rebuilt, so I don think it could be a bad crank seal, but I could be wrong.

TRI-Zbrian
12-28-2003, 02:12 AM
yeah it sounds like a rich conditions and that header pipe leak can be fixed with a new peipe gasket/o ring deal what ever you want to call it

CHAINSAW
12-28-2003, 02:21 AM
If its not rich now, and you just got the machine, it could be ole build up in the pipe and silencer. Ive seen this a few times when I buy new machines. The last guy would run it really rich, and all that black crap would build up in the silencer. When I jetted it right, the exhaust would be hotter, and melt that old crap out and look like I was running really rich. That could be your problem... to solve it, either keep wiping it off, or change out your packing and give it a good washing.

TRI-Zbrian
12-28-2003, 02:28 AM
lol i remember one time i just got done repacking my silencer on my last tri z because it was getting realy lowd and people weer starting to call the cops on me for it and me i used huse insulation because i was told it would work so any way i was riding with a bunch of my buddys at night and i looked back for a sec and itlooked like fire works were coming out of my silncer lol i pulled over and was like what the hell and then later on found out that it was just the house insulation burning out of my silencer and then being blown out so i kept riding it and it just slowly got lowder lol it was pretty cool to watch thow it freaked the people behind me out they thought the engine was about to blow up or soemthing lol but house insulation is a realy quick and cheap fix it isnt a long term fix but it will last a while.

slippy4
12-28-2003, 02:38 AM
yes, my tri-z had oil comming from everywhere, the headpipe, from the headpipe where it meets the silencer and out of the silencer. found out i had no exhause seals what so ever and put some in and it help with the leaking but still came out. had oil all over my z. took the packing out of my silencer the other day and it was really really oily. dont know why though as my z is in a million pieces all over everywhere. my guess is maybe someone mixed the oil a little bit rich all the time and it just accumulated and finally started to come out the silencer. also my rings were bad and it smoked like a train so i guess all that extra oil accumulated in there and finally started to leak out.

CHAINSAW
12-28-2003, 02:41 AM
when I had my 85 R, right after I first got it I took the end off to change the packing and you wouldnt believe the oily mess that fell out of there. It looked like someone changed the oil in their car and used the silencer as a funnel.... it was nasty.

TimSr
12-29-2003, 02:50 AM
You can buy packing from dennis kirk # 44-3494 for $6.99, and you get enough to do 2 or 3 silencers.

Silencer saturation is very common on bikes that have run 32:1 mixes or richer in the past, especially when combined with rich carburetion, and your silencer barely gets hot enough to burn off the oil that accumulates. Youll find your packing lasts a lot longer running synthetics at leaner ratios.

slippy4
12-29-2003, 03:08 PM
mine was ran at 32.1 with cheap oil when i got it only because it was doing that already, that is the same packing i have on order from dennis kirk. so it should last at least a couple of times?

CHAINSAW
12-29-2003, 07:53 PM
cheap oil will do that, along with yamalube I have found. Another reason to run Klotz! hehe :D

Tri-Z Pilot
12-29-2003, 08:40 PM
Yeah, the guy was running yamalube, (probably 20to1), but I am going to switch over to klotz beanol, or maxima 927, they are my prefered oils,(they make the exhaust smell different too).

CHAINSAW
12-29-2003, 08:42 PM
man.. there isnt a smell in the world like Klotz and alcohol.... hmmmmmmmm BeNol and 110 octane smells pretty good to :-P

Tri-Z Pilot
12-29-2003, 08:44 PM
Cool, I'll start running klotz and budweiser in mine, lol!

CHAINSAW
12-29-2003, 08:48 PM
lol.. I wonder if it would burp and backfire?

trikezilla
01-04-2005, 08:39 PM
lol i remember one time i just got done repacking my silencer on my last tri z because it was getting realy lowd and people weer starting to call the cops on me for it and me i used huse insulation because i was told it would work so any way i was riding with a bunch of my buddys at night and i looked back for a sec and itlooked like fire works were coming out of my silncer lol i pulled over and was like what the hell and then later on found out that it was just the house insulation burning out of my silencer and then being blown out so i kept riding it and it just slowly got lowder lol it was pretty cool to watch thow it freaked the people behind me out they thought the engine was about to blow up or soemthing lol but house insulation is a realy quick and cheap fix it isnt a long term fix but it will last a while.

wow...thats a long sentence..lol. YEAH, i tried the insulation thing and i had thesame problem..but the stupi cop who checked my sound level was dumb and said he had the same packing on his. he claimed his (81 250r) packin was original and pink..he said it came from honda pink? WTF, i think he is smokin the MARY J he just took from the smugglers

Mr. Sandman
01-04-2005, 09:38 PM
LOL, talk about resurrecting an old post, that one is over a year old!

mike from long island
01-04-2005, 10:59 PM
good thing they did i am having the same problem lol i just thought it was because the bike sits so long between runs that the gas was evaporating. and the oil was bulding up and just getting pulled through the carb but now i have some new ideas why i do run yamalube too think ill be change that lol

a-camp
01-07-2005, 10:31 PM
32:1 ha ? I run closer to 40:1.Ive watched a friend run 50:1 in his R for the last four years.My bike smoked and dripped at 32:1.Possibly ran hotter as well.