PDA

View Full Version : honda big red 250 es......clutch trouble ????

roonie
09-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Picked up a 1985 big red 250es.....engine was siezed...got it free. BUT.......now it seems no matter what gear its in ....the atc does not feel like its engaged. Could this be tranny troubles or clutch? I have not got the big red running yet but should the atc not skid the tires when i try to physically push the trike forward and act locked up into a gear selected? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps2fixer
09-21-2013, 01:24 AM
How my machines are, if you push it forward in gear, it spins the engine (or the tires are locked up if in a low gear). If you pull it backwards, it rolls slowly and you can hear the clutch spinning inside.

I'd say check the clutch adjustment on the right side of the engine, it might be adjusted in too far it will be releasing the 2nd clutch, and to far out it will be hard to shift. I beleive the adjustment is in till it touches, then back 1/4 turn.

I just re-read your post and the engine isn't running, so no point in checking the clutch adjustment untill it is running and you can see if it has issues with shifting. you should be able to shift it down all the way (rock it back and forth to get it to shift while not running) so you are in neutral and it should roll freely. If not you might have a brake hanging up or maybe an issue with the rear end/transmission.

dougspcs
09-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Trying to diagnose or determine engine/transmission function of a non-running engine is completely pointless..

And if you used something foreign like diesel fuel in the crankcase to free-up your siezed engine then be sure it's completely flushed out and proper 'wet-clutch' oil is in the engine.

Get it running then report back!

kebby28
09-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Hard to tell without a little test drive but I had one with a bad one-way bearing and I couldn't pop start it...

roonie
09-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Ok....thanks guys. Just wanted to try getting some foresight before i went any further as ive also got a rusty fuel tank and siezed carb to deal with before she runs. And.....i will report back. Just didnt want to go through all this work to find a blown tranny but i guess i will have to. Thanks again

dougspcs
09-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Ok....thanks guys. Just wanted to try getting some foresight before i went any further as ive also got a rusty fuel tank and siezed carb to deal with before she runs. And.....i will report back. Just didnt want to go through all this work to find a blown tranny but i guess i will have to. Thanks again

That is all the fun of the discovery process..you learn your machine intimately as you go and sometimes find how screwed you are!!

There are basket cases I've worked on in the past just find out I wasted my time..I have a non-runner 200s I bought a year or two back. I redid the top end and now it runs great. Put the engine back in, started in and put it into gear..bang and now it's stuck in 1st!! One of these years I might pull it back apart..maybe!

Stuck engine, rusted tank, siezed carb, transmission???, differential??

You have a long road before you son!! Good luck and check in as you go..