PDA

View Full Version : This thing!!!

kwit
12-27-2003, 02:47 PM
i swear if i had a garbage bin big enough that i would just trow this thing right away with no cares...!!!!!.... i get the engine all done up nicve nad i just spent like a week splitin the case and cleanin and puttin parts in and buy stuff for it and everythign and what does it do?:!?!?!?!?!?!?!?... it fu**s me!!! thats wwhat......i got on here about to start her up im all excited and i just happend to shift the shifter down .. and it stayed down!!!. then i tryd to bring it back up.. and it just flops around now.. nothin it doesnt absolutly nothing.. it just flops around !!!!.... plus i need a new sifter kuz mines bent and i need rear palstic and all kinds of things for it.. damnit why cant anything go right... i already spent about 250 ion the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro thing.. o yea .. and the crank wiggles too!!!!!!!.. i put a new crank in and i can wiggle the flywheel bakc and forth a little bit.... WTF!.. .somone plz tell me this has happend to them dont let me be the only one!!!!!!... anyone got a perfect engine fopr sale that has absoulutly no problems????... i need one right here

350XXX
12-27-2003, 03:26 PM
that side play might be where that "extra" washer went. yes, we have all been there. now take a deep breath, drink a beer(more if needed), and calm down. once you regain your composure, now break back into the motor and see what happened. take your time, and dont get mad. you have to look at this as a learning experience so it wont happen again. at least your learning alot about your trike. and its not costing you an arm and a leg. you didn't fire up the motor and blow it up. Soo, your in good shape. ;) did you ever get a service manual?

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Go down to your local restaurant, they got some big ass garbage cans outside...I'm pretty sure that will solve all your problems.

Trikeaholic
12-27-2003, 03:47 PM
thats why I limit my "engine building" to the top end only! Sorry to hear it.

mudduck14843
12-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Go down to your local restaurant, they got some big arse garbage cans outside...I'm pretty sure that will solve all your problems.
JUST MAKE SURE YOU TELL ME WHERE THE DUMPSTER IS!!!

no but seriously where r u located? if it isn't to far from corning and you wanted to bring it down i would be more than happy to help you get it going...

jdparsons1
12-27-2003, 04:00 PM
I just split the cases on an atc 70 motor, cleaned everything and put new seals and gaskets in as i put it all back together i only snugged the bolts and left the top end off and made sure it shifted through all 4 gears and back into neutral. I've been burned a few times already in my limited engine experience so now i triple check everything as i put it back together.

mudduck14843
12-27-2003, 04:15 PM
i try to write everything down and take pics if possible.as i take it apart
also i seperate everything into big baby formula cans(for smaller pts) tranny pts kicker gears (stuff like that) i put in seperate 1 gallon ziplock bags and label aproprately i also put any nuts, bolts and washers that go with them in the bags.

JMiller
12-27-2003, 05:37 PM
Dont give up!! Take pics of complicated areas before disassembling..

Jonathan
12-27-2003, 07:26 PM
I had the exact same problem with the shifter on my 200x when I put it back together. I can't remember what the problem was or exactly how I fixed it, but it took several times taking it apart and putting it back together (not splitting the cases, just taking off the side cover, oil rotor, and clutch) to figure out. You have to have to have all the shifter stuff in exactly the right position when you put the clutch back in and put the side cover back on. You just have to make sure it goes in and out of all gears in both directions before you put the clutch back on.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-28-2003, 12:25 AM
I had the same problem with my tri-z a while back, and I got really mad and thought that I broke my shifter, and was going to rebuild the whole bottom end. Well it turns out that when I had my right sidecase off, the one shifting fork that is connected to the shifter rod popped off of it's posistion, and my shifter just lost all of it's resistance, and wouldnt shift. With a little help from a couple of members on the board, I found out that you have to take the clutch basket off (I didnt though), and the shifter fork has two springs on it, and you had to push the shifter fork back in towards the case, so that this one mount split the two springs, where the shift fork rests. Well, I did it, and my shifter works once again, I am not sure if it is the same as the 200x, but it might be.

kwit
12-28-2003, 12:28 AM
this thing really really mad me reallly upset erlier... i took a nap and will work on that beer! lol ... well i dont know were to start.... how should i go about fixing that shifter?... do i start on the left or right side of the case??....?

350XXX
12-28-2003, 12:32 AM
start on the same side as your shifter linkage

kwit
12-28-2003, 01:05 AM
wopuld it be best to rip this thing to absoulte pices and then start totally up from nothing???... i have a manual... or should i just do what needs to be done?..... im gunna need alot of help on this one from goin crazy.. but i do have alot of spare time so ill see what goes on ...im gunna do this thing to the best of my ablilty.. befor i kinda rushed b/c i wanted to ride it had hear it run.. well we all seen how far that got me ... the whole engine crashes down b/c of one little washer... ugh

speed20
12-28-2003, 07:37 AM
you sound WAAAAAAYYYYYYY too much like me Kwit......I bet i know what the problem is though.....it happened to me also....what happened was when i had the right side cover off, i tipped the motor over and set it on the stator side...and the shifting shaft popped out of where its supposed to be on the right hand side.... (it is held in the by a spring and a snap ring) it will be easy to see.....theres this like star kinda shaped thing, and thats where your problem is....the thing thats on the shaft is out too far not letting it turn the star thing and engaging the shifting forks....im at a friends house or else id find my manual and give you specific item names..., anyway its on the right hand side i bet....when you put it back together....take a hose clamp and pull the shifter shaft and tighten the hose clamp by the seal....that should hold it in place....good luck and keep us posted! ;)

ATCMedic
12-30-2003, 09:09 AM
I'd check the return spring for your shifter shaft, it's the spring with the two 'legs', for lack of a better word for them, that is on the shift shaft. It's supposed to be installed with the 'legs' on either side of the cast boss under the star ratchet. If it wasn't installed properly(both 'legs' on the same side) your shifter won't return like you describe. I use a flathead screwdriver to spread and guide the spring into position over the boss as I install the shaft, it's pretty easy and effective. As for the crank wobble, did you install a new crank with all new bearings, or was it a used unit? If it was used you might have installed a worn out main bearing on the flywheel side, that is the usual cause for crank deflection. If you are positive the crank bearings are good, check the woodruf key on the crank, those things like to shear off at the worst times. I hope this helps you out. If you aren't having any luck figuring out whats wrong you can pm me and I'll walk you through it, or if you are nearby maybe I can take a look at it.

MountainRider
12-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Jason,
I seem to remember that the problem with your shifter was the 2 pronged spring on the right end of the shaft (just under the fork) wasn't seated properly on either side of the holding tab. A case split isn't required to fix that problem, just pull the right side case off and work the spring onto the tab on the center case.

The crank end play sounds like maybe the crank bearings are moving inside the case journals. Mine did this at first, so I split the cases back open, pulled the crank/bearing assembly, and then used a somewhat dull center punch to slightly raise the metal over the entire surface of both center case bearing journals. When going back together with the cases, It was tight enough that I actually had to use an arbor press to get it seated....no more crank end play.

Darrell