PDA

View Full Version : Honda 200x rear shock too stiff for my weight

curtis slawson
09-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Hello having some issues with my rear shock on the 200x its wayyyyy to stiff for my weight (120) pounds.
I have adjusted the dampner to the lowest setting number 1 it helped it out maybe by 1% not much thats for sure. When i trail ride i feel every damm bumb rock sticks anything i run over i feel it threw the bike as the rear shock is not working.

Pushing down on the grab bar the shock feels nice and smooth as Nothing is bent or worn out it is just way to stiff for my liking. even when i go to sit on the bike it dont even move with my weight it moves a little bit when i jump on it but not much

Should i adjust the shock pre-load to loose the shock to make it not so stiff for my weight :wondering

Thanks!!

oldskool83
09-13-2013, 03:26 PM
its the spring. you will need to send it to a guy on ebay. he will resping it for you and or rebuild it if you want. I am 125lbs and have had this issues for years. i put 250r suspension on my bike and solved that issue. you wont be able to do that unless you want to spend tons of capital so repsing is a better idea.

his name is Evan Schmidt <schmidtyracing@gmail.com>

he will help you. I will be sending him my 250r rear shock prob over the winter for rebuild.

curtis slawson
09-13-2013, 03:47 PM
its the spring. you will need to send it to a guy on ebay. he will resping it for you and or rebuild it if you want. I am 125lbs and have had this issues for years. i put 250r suspension on my bike and solved that issue. you wont be able to do that unless you want to spend tons of capital so repsing is a better idea.

his name is Evan Schmidt <schmidtyracing@gmail.com>

he will help you. I will be sending him my 250r rear shock prob over the winter for rebuild.

Cool. So your saying it just the the spring. Is it because its to tight of a spring or its just a old and worn out spring so its not working right anymore. Or just to hard or soft of a spring. Also is there any good aftermarket springs for sale web sites etc... I rather just by a new one thats made for a certain weight class if thats possible.

Was looking at the pre-load adjuster & looks like some buddy used a screw driver to adjust the loaders and messed up the teeth up pretty good and looks like the adjusters are pretty far down the shock looks hella tight

rg97
09-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Before you do anything too pricey, make sure that your pre-load (the nut that pushes down on the spring on the top of the shock) isn't all the way down, and you can use a spanner wrench to adjust it and let the spring relax a bit. depending on how much it moves, it should still help. Im 175 and my preload nut is about 1" down from the top of the threads

Was looking at the pre-load adjuster & looks like some buddy used a screw driver to adjust the loaders and messed up the teeth up pretty good and looks like the adjusters are pretty far down the shock looks hella tight
Looks like somebody didnt use a spanner wrench...
If you dont have one you can get one here http://www.mcmaster.com/#spanner-wrenches/=ohri99

curtis slawson
09-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Before you do anything too pricey, make sure that your pre-load (the nut that pushes down on the spring on the top of the shock) isn't all the way down, and you can use a spanner wrench to adjust it and let the spring relax a bit. depending on how much it moves, it should still help. Im 175 and my preload nut is about 1" down from the top of the threadsthanks i just measured its about 2inchs from the top of the threads so i guessing thats wayyyyyy to tight for my weight hopefully its just the adjustment is to tight cause it looks hella tight to me

oldskool83
09-13-2013, 04:49 PM
back off the spring preload, the 2 locking keys on above the spring. problem is i think it will still be too stiff, plus it prob needs rebuild by now.

there is not aftermarket site. best place is the guys info i gave you. he is very good. many years rebuilding suspension on atcs. if you look on ebay he redoes factory shocks up super nice. i had emailed him because i had an oddball 83250r suspensing in rear of 84 200x. he knew all the guys run 350x shocks but they have a spring load of about 900lbs he said. i think. my 83 250r shock has a load of 550lbs and its about perfect for my weight, 200xs are 650ish.