PDA

View Full Version : Wired in a cheap-o Chinese ignition switch '84 200es

ericmreimer
09-07-2013, 08:44 PM
When I got my big red it didn't have a key so kb0nly told me how to hot wire it right out of the gate. I was going to get an oem switch but that was 50 bucks so I went with a 4 wire Chinese switch. It cost me a total of 7 dollars shipped to my door. I wired it up and all is good to go now. Here is a picture. Hope this helps someone else in the future.
This is the one I used. Fit perfectly into the hole!
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=110874193014

So the connections are easy

Red to red
Black to yellow/red
Green to green
Black/white to black

tripledog
09-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Surely, you must be related to kbOnly.... you guys seem have nothing better to do than to go out of your way to help people out... :beer Much appreciated!!!

Dirtcrasher
09-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks bud, I just bought one, should have grabbed a few but I can later on.

Perfect for an ATC70 and hoping they may work in my 87 200X dashboard............

ps2fixer
09-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Woah nice find! Since I'm getting a ton of bullet connectors (the single wire plugs on the wire harness) I should be able to make a plug and play version off these :D.

Saving the info and ordering a few to give it a shot :). How long did shipping take for you?

ericmreimer
09-08-2013, 08:31 AM
I ordered them last week around Wednesday or so and got it yesterday.

rg97
09-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Thanks bud, I just bought one, should have grabbed a few but I can later on.

Perfect for an ATC70 and hoping they may work in my 87 200X dashboard............

Sorry, not to threadjack, but is anyone trying to do repros of the dashboards with keys?

I'll keep the switch in mind if I ever need one.

ps2fixer
09-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Sorry, not to threadjack, but is anyone trying to do repros of the dashboards with keys?

I'll keep the switch in mind if I ever need one.

I think i saw a post that Howdy said he was going to try to repo the center part for the big reds (or maybe it was for the SX? Don't remember), someone already repos the side caps and pins. The actual metal part I don't think anyone makes, but normally they don't get messed up.

kb0nly
09-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Good job! I used a couple of those cheap switches a while back also. They are not always color coded the same on the wiring on those cheapos but its easy to figure out the wiring with an ohm meter. The two wires shorted in the off position are the ground and ignition kill wires, the two wires shorted in the on position are the power in and out to the lights.

The Honda switches are a bit overpriced in my opinion.

Dirtcrasher
09-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Yes, either Jeswhinehart or Howdy made these and they looked great. You still need the right bar clamps which I have 2 sets of, otherwise you have to find a place to cut in a hole or make a bracket for the key. Check the 3ww store for the dash.........

Big G
09-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks for sharing Eric. The key on my '85 250ES is starting to go on the fritz. Anyone know if these would fit that model as well?

ericmreimer
09-09-2013, 01:37 PM
i'm pretty sure from comparing them to the ones on e-bay. The coloring is different but for the most part yes, it'll physically just snap in.

dougspcs
09-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Though I can appreciate a good deal, I'll stick to the OEM whenever possible.

Repairing a 27 year old classic machine with throw away Chinese parts..?? There is a logical reason why a 4 year old Chinese quad is worthless and a 27 year old trike is still sought after!!

Sorry to say, I'm having a difficult time following the math here!!

ericmreimer
09-09-2013, 03:28 PM
$7 switch = purchase and key for my three wheeler
or
$50 switch = no switch/key for my three wheeler.

Don't get me wrong, I do see your point and IF I CAN I'll buy oem parts but as it stands this was the best I could do with the hand I'm currently dealt. When the dealer gets more generous, I'll put nice OEM parts on my free three wheeler.

ps2fixer
09-09-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm with ericmreimer on this, yes it is a known fact the OEM will be much better quality, but for the price you can buy like 8 of these. They would have to crap out like every 2 years to make it not worth it, and by then you would have a pretty good idea it wasn't worth it after 2 or 3 times lol.

As another point of my own... it is a switch, I don't see why they need to be $50-60, you can buy one for a car much cheaper and it is pretty close to the same design.

dougspcs
09-09-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm with ericmreimer on this, yes it is a known fact the OEM will be much better quality, but for the price you can buy like 8 of these. They would have to crap out like every 2 years to make it not worth it, and by then you would have a pretty good idea it wasn't worth it after 2 or 3 times lol.

As another point of my own... it is a switch, I don't see why they need to be $50-60, you can buy one for a car much cheaper and it is pretty close to the same design.

I'm the type that believes that fixing something one time and right is worth it, I don't want to screw around with a new switch every year. Maybe it's my age?? But then I'm sure I have wrenches in my tool box older than a lot of you guys..

The modern generation loves a cheap deal..electronics, tools, toys, you name it..you use it once then throw it out when it breaks. Hell it was cheap enough..

If Honda used this formula 27 years ago when they built your trike, you wouldn't be riding it today!!

ericmreimer
09-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Doug you are 100% correct these damn kids nowadays, I tell ye, such whippersnappers! Lol in other news I got my $4 brake lever in the mail today. Whoo hoooo!

ps2fixer
09-09-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm one of them damn kids :P, except I fix the throw away junk like Ipods etc :D. The main thing we need good is the drive system and the engine, switches are simple, unless the honda ones are silver contacts, or gold plated, I don't see why they are so expensive. I think your buying the name more than anything on that. Now if I'm going to replace a transmission gear, I'm not grabbing one out of a Chinese engine! Way too much time to tear down an engine that far for cheap parts, but a switch that takes maybe 10-15 mins to install I'll skimp on.

@ericmreimer

That "OEM" brake lever looks like pretty high quality =D.

ericmreimer
09-09-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm prolly one too :) I'm mean those crusty 37 year old tools got me beat.

Big G
09-10-2013, 12:25 PM
I hear what you're saying Doug, yet I also believe that sometimes you can get away with not using an OEM part. I've gone aftermarket on things such as brake cables, wheel bearings, air filters, carb kits, etc., in the past and haven't been dissapointed yet. The argument could be made either way I suppose.

tri again
09-12-2013, 05:44 PM
My switch was on the front porch today.
Bag was ripped and not sure if it fits in the 250 dashboard yet
but for * bucks, I'll just put it in the trike and not hook it up.

Anyone who sits on it will ask, "where's the key", to which I can say, "i forget'
and maybe they'll walk away and leave mmy machines alone.

kb0nly
09-12-2013, 06:28 PM
I put one of those cheap switches on a 125M about three years ago, still works perfectly fine to this day.

Don't let the OEM branding fool you. You honestly think Honda made the switches anyway? Chances are one of the companies making these cheapos was a producer for them back in the day. A lot of the Honda parts were rebranded from another manufacturer that made them for them. Sure they had the quality control over them but they didn't make them.

I have had a couple of the Honda switches apart, they appear to be the standard plated contacts, maybe gold but they tarnish easily once you wipe off the dielectric grease. I had one of these cheapos apart too, look almost identical inside. Now i wish i would have taken pictures, put them side by side and play pick the OEM. I bet a lot of people would have picked wrong.

I have no problem with aftermarket parts, especially when most of the parts are no longer available OEM and you gotta do what you gotta do. I have had good luck with most of the parts guys call chinese crap, so i guess my experience is far different.

ps2fixer
09-12-2013, 07:44 PM
I put one of those cheap switches on a 125M about three years ago, still works perfectly fine to this day.

Don't let the OEM branding fool you. You honestly think Honda made the switches anyway? Chances are one of the companies making these cheapos was a producer for them back in the day. A lot of the Honda parts were rebranded from another manufacturer that made them for them. Sure they had the quality control over them but they didn't make them.

I have had a couple of the Honda switches apart, they appear to be the standard plated contacts, maybe gold but they tarnish easily once you wipe off the dielectric grease. I had one of these cheapos apart too, look almost identical inside. Now i wish i would have taken pictures, put them side by side and play pick the OEM. I bet a lot of people would have picked wrong.

I have no problem with aftermarket parts, especially when most of the parts are no longer available OEM and you gotta do what you gotta do. I have had good luck with most of the parts guys call chinese crap, so i guess my experience is far different.

Thanks for the info :), I was wondering why it sounded like the honda switches lol.

Anyway, I made up one, and test fitted it in a junk dash from a 200ES, and it can spin in the dash, but I looked into it further and it looks like the hole is oversized a bit by the old bad switch. Just to point out though, the stopper is a bit smaller than oem. I think a good dash it will be fine. Been thinking about finding a dash that would look ok, and throw it on my 350x (actually hooked up though lol). Heck I could wire them up and sell them if anyone had interest, not sure which dash would be good though, maybe something off a newer Honda quad.

Uploaded is a photo how I wired mine :). Model on the bag is EL-K0006 and of course "Made in China". Just a note, the tabs that hold the switch in are MUCH TIGHTER than oem's 6 lightly sprung ones. It is a real fight to install or remove. Also the clocking of the switch matches up with the dash markings which is a nice touch.

kb0nly
09-13-2013, 08:05 PM
A little epoxy would keep it from spinning.. LOL

You could even buy the Honda key rubber and put it on the cheapo switches keys and none would be the wiser...

ps2fixer
09-13-2013, 08:29 PM
I'd rather have a correct fitting part, since I'm half hoping to sell these prepped for install :). Just an cheaper alt to oem Honda brand.

kb0nly
09-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Problem is the Honda switch gets loose and starts to move and then it wears out the hole. Been there done that. I had one that would spin regardless of being an OEM or a cheap switch. The hole was just wallowed out. I put a little two part epoxy on the points of the new switch that push against the sides of the hole and then popped it in. After the epoxy was dry no problems. Other than replacing the dash entirely there wasnt much else i could do.

blue27
09-14-2013, 08:59 AM
I use these also.I have them on the Mini Tiger, Mini Red and a Honda Express No ped. Fits perfect on the express, on the others that are using the standard Honda Dash, I just file a new notch where one of the tabs sits so it acts as a lock tab so it does not spin. Depending on the application you need to change the ends, and double check the wiring because I had them with the same plug but the wires were in different locations.

kb0nly
09-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Never thought of filing a notch, good tip! Last one i worked on the hole was so worn out from a spinning switch i just epoxied it but filing a notch would have helped prevent it from moving.

tri again
01-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks for sharing Eric. The key on my '85 250ES is starting to go on the fritz. Anyone know if these would fit that model as well?
OEM key switches do come apart and can be cleaned.
Do you have to wiggle to get your neutrallight?
Try the search key for a Great post on how to.

clmeue37
02-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Good thread! Picked up an 84 Big Red a few weeks ago and the ignition switch was missing altogether. The previous owner had drilled a hole in the dash and wired up a toggle switch. I ordered one of these switches and while I waited for it to arrive I filled the hole with jb weld where the toggle switch had been and cleaned and painted the dash. Wired up the new switch according to the positions referenced here and it works perfect. Now I just have to get the rest of the wiring harness cleaned up and sorted out.

Thanks for putting this information on here!

86125m
02-07-2015, 11:44 PM
The dan gum honda key switch rubber cost the same as this hole key and switch set. I'm sorry this is 6 dollars for this switch and 50 for the honda and the way I see it is a switch is a switch.