PDA

View Full Version : Todays lucky trade up

ATC ADDICTED
09-07-2013, 07:09 PM
So yesterday I did another trade with a guy for a windshield in his 73 Chevy pickup, for a Honda trail 110 with a locked up motor, a Honda pa50 with no compression, a wrecked Polaris trail boss and a partially stripped Yamaha xt125..... Good trade I think.... Another score for under 60 bucks.... After we get them loaded up, my buddy says ,, none of them are really worth going thru.... So we decide to take them strait to the local cycle salvage in hopes of making a trade for what we just got for 2 trikes we know he has at the yard... Along the way we stopped at a barn yard , yard sale and what do we find in a pile of crap/scrap/junk beside the barn,,,,,,,,, ?? Honda atc90 in very sad shape, picked it up for 20.00,,, it will become parts for my builder bike and supply another neck pin for that other frame I just brought home... We went in hoping to get a partially stripped 85 Tecate and recently acquired 200x basket case. Long story kind of shortened, after finding out that he chopped up the Tecate that I wanted, we found another 200x without a rear axle but a swing arm, semi-complete motor, tank, fenders and front suspension... So the deal was made........ 2 semi-complete 84 200x for, 4 p.o.s. beat to crap, junk bikes, and with all the parts we have we can make 1 run and be a decent bike with plenty of parts to spare. While asking about different thinks, I asked if he had any more aftermarket frames out in his collection of rotting bikes, he said yes and took me over to what I couldn't identify at the time but now believe to be a Nicolson rigid frame... I didn't take my phone with me today as I forgot to plug it in last night before bed. but I will be going back out there to deliver the rest of the plastic for the Polaris, so I will get pics then.... So this is todays haul,,,, or as I like to call it ,,,, a trade up..... I had my buddy send me pics from his phone.

C.J
09-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Nice haul!! I can't wait to see the other bike too!!

ATC ADDICTED
09-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Nice haul!! I can't wait to see the other bike too!!

I will be purchasing the other frame sooner or later... im not to sure if ill keep it or try to sell it on one of the forums... I have way to many project bikes and could use the funds to finish one or both of the 2 builders I currently have going

Canyon Man
09-08-2013, 07:08 AM
That's one hell of a treasure hunt:lol:

ATC ADDICTED
09-08-2013, 10:08 AM
yeah it took us an hr to figure out what else we wanted out of the cycle yard after we found the tecate in its sad shape.... almost took a almost complete 82 250r but he wouldn't cut loose with it and the almost complete 200x for the trade.... I think we did good .... we will have another running 84 200x in a few weeks after we go thru everything and make sure its all in good working order..... the plan is for it to be put up for sale over on the coast I hope..... they sell like hot cakes over there..... thinking 800 for a running 200x isn't a bad price,,,, me and my buddy split it ,,, and I can have the top end rebuilt on my wifes 86 200x with the 12.1 piston then possibly sell it off too since she really doesn't enjoy riding like the rest of us do

Ghostv2
09-08-2013, 01:18 PM
I wish i could just come aross trikes like that around here.

6speedthumper
09-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Me too Ghost...

ATC ADDICTED
09-09-2013, 10:22 PM
So this is how far we have come in like 3 days time and with a conglomeration of 3 bikes and 3 motors ,,, we have managed to assemble what now resembles a potential runner. So we went thru what I believed was the better of the 3 motors "and I was rite" just to find someone had had the motor almost stripped completely at one point, and didn't do a good job reassembling the ignition pickup backing plate.... they didn't get it seated correctly and the cam bolts rubbed the back side of the plate and there was aluminum every where... so after a thorough cleaning and inspection of parts,,,, we changed the timing chain, timing backing plate, set timing, gaskets and completely reassembled the entire thing then decided to go pick out what frame to use. After some discussion we decided on the frame that I got a couple weeks ago with the basket case motor. We added the swinger and axle from one of the parts bikes pictured above, installed the motor, verified that it had spark found a tank that was clean inside and grabbed the fenders.... Another 3-4 hrs of work and she will be a runner and rider

Ghostv2
09-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Very nice, after all is said and done how much will you have into it since you traded up and whatnot?

ATC ADDICTED
09-09-2013, 11:01 PM
60 bucks x2 for windshields, plus a partial gasket kit=20, plus 20 in diesel to pick them up and trade them off and bring home the trikes so about 160 bucks but I sold the after market swinger from one so essentially I am still showing a profit of 40 bucks

taz
09-10-2013, 09:04 PM
no pics of the ridged frame yet

Ghostv2
09-10-2013, 09:17 PM
60 bucks x2 for windshields, plus a partial gasket kit=20, plus 20 in diesel to pick them up and trade them off and bring home the trikes so about 160 bucks but I sold the after market swinger from one so essentially I am still showing a profit of 40 bucks

Teach me your ways.

ATC ADDICTED
09-11-2013, 12:05 AM
I just happened to be in the rite place at the rite time and deal in what they needed both times.... I stalked the first x I brought home for months before I got it.... and that seemed like it opened the flood gates.... going to look at another 86 200x parts bike possibly tomorrow or the next day... and my buddies friend seen all the trikes at his house and offered us another one,,, unsure of what it was , possibly another 84 200x I wasn't there when he was there , so ill have to let you know when I find out what it is.... we may have the one we are building sold already,,,,, possibly,,,, but we will see when it is finished if he still wants it... do you think 600 is a fair price or is 800 better... im not out to gouge any one and am more then willing to take 600 for it ... I guess it will depend on the finish products look and performance.... its got great compression

ATC ADDICTED
09-11-2013, 12:11 AM
no pics of the ridged frame yet

geez , its only been since Saturday... I still need to pick up the rest of the plastics for the damn quad I traded off and deliver them to the cycle salvage... ill get them,,, and I will post them.... keep an eye on this post for more details, coming to a screen shot in front of you, will be a ridged aftermarket frame, "this pic has not yet been rated".... coming to a monitor near you soon ...........

lol sorry I couldn't help it.............

ATC ADDICTED
09-15-2013, 09:01 PM
So after a week of hard work and very little money invested we have a complete "minus 1 foot peg :wondering" running 84-85 200x, built entirely from junk yard parts... The brakes gave us the hardest time. Getting the paint off the fenders wasn't exactly easy either but they are turning out well... Ill post more pics as we get it completely assembled and cleaned up.... We will be putting it up for sale in couple weeks after we make sure everything is ok and it rides good... This has been an adventure , that's for sure.... Just wanted to keep this post alive