PDA

View Full Version : 84 big red front suspension dampers

ericmreimer
09-06-2013, 10:12 PM
I have two 84 200es's. neither has a good front end. I have read about swapping to a 200m front end but don't want to do that because it get rid of the factory big red rack/light. Is that correct?

So aside from the swap, is there a source for new dampers or alternative aftermarket dampers??

aldochina
09-07-2013, 12:57 AM
when i took mine apart on the 200e i restored, the fork lowers were packed full of dirt! I mean packed! the damper once i freed it from the dirt packed spring and cleaned it up it actually operated perfectly!! I was quite surprised! there must be something out there that matches that damper, its really very simple. I have heard of no solution though other than a swap if yours are smoked. If you can even find a good set they bring a good buck, cause everyone is in your boat!!

ericmreimer
09-08-2013, 11:18 AM
One of mine the forks are trash, no chrome left at all so it just fills with water/mud. The other big red, I disassembled and some how managed trashing both dampers completely. So out of the two I can piece together one good front end. I'm watching for another complete set of forks that are local.

There has to be a company or other application that has a like damper. I'm on the look out.