PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki Tecate Questions

kzr800
09-05-2013, 08:25 AM
I did several searches and read as much as I could, however, I was hoping some of you experts can tell me the major differences between Tecates based on model year. I'm looking at a 1985, is there anything I should look for? Are parts harder to find for a 1985 model? Should I stay away from it? Just fill me in what I need to know.

Thanks,
KZR800

ATC ADDICTED
09-05-2013, 08:45 AM
84-85 basically the same, motor wise. 84= front drum brake. 85= front disc brake.... all tecates are touchy but are the fastest production trike made when they are running rite

kzr800
09-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Are parts hard to find for the 84-85 Tecates? Are there specific parts that are impossible to find?

barnett468
09-05-2013, 08:59 AM
a bit harder than hondas but just don't buy a basket case. buy a complete good running bike

het nos parts at xtremeusa.com

ATC ADDICTED
09-05-2013, 09:09 AM
the hardest part to find is the headlight cage, everything else is rather easily acquirable,,,,, unless it is the red tecate ,,,, then finding fenders is like finding frog teeth

ATC ADDICTED
09-05-2013, 09:21 AM
a bit harder than hondas but just don't buy a basket case. buy a complete good running bike

het nos parts at xtremeusa.com

My first tecate was a complete basket case.... completely disassembled, motor stripped into pieces. only thing still on the frame was the front forks, fender and tire. thought I was buying a Honda until I seen the tag,,,,, until that day , I had no clue the red tecate even existed..... cost me 400 to have the motor completely reassembled and the shifter case welded, re-drilled and new seal installed and almost 3yrs time for reassembly of the complete bike.... then after 2 yrs of not riding it,,,, I take it out and rolled the hell out of it in less then 5hr... now it sits again awaiting new/used parts to bring it back to life again

jb2wheels
09-05-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm no expert, but 4 85 Tecates passed through my hands this year (I still have 3) and this is what I've learned.

Plastics are usually hard to get but a seller on eBay looks like they had a few Maier sets made - just no red ones. I'd like a red set but I probably wouldn't pay the $500 anyway.
Headlights and related mounts and wiring are hard to find. Only 1 of my 4 has headlight and wiring. It's easy enough to adapt any switch and make up a headlight harness but the original stuff is rare.
OEM CDI boxes are hard to find. If you get a project, make sure it has this box. Silver colored, 3"x3", mounts under the tank.
Look for welded on shifter and kicker.
Look for rusty/pitted fork tubes. I must have 14 tubes here and only 6 are useable.
The stock metal air filter cage is hard to find.
Check the radiator for all 3 mounts and leaks around the mounts. It's a week point. The mounts either break off or flex enough to crack the radiator tanks.
It would be nice to have on with both skid plates on the swinger. Those are hard to find.
Intake boots are 30 years old now and crack and leak but JESwinehart repops them.
If it's not running, it's the stator and/or flywheel.
Seems to me the exhaust pipe mount under the tank is an issue. A minor issue but 3 of my 4 were either missing this mount or it was torn out of the frame.

Steering bearings are tapered rollers - which is nice since that's $40 I don't have to spend like I do with the Hondas.
The Tecates are simpler and easier to work on than the Hondas I have.

There's a great Tecate parts interchange thread on this forum.

I rode the piss out of my green rider at Kermit last weekend. It was more reliale than my 85 250R - but only because it needs a new needle/seat.

I'm getting old - the Tecate wears me out. I think mine's had some engine work because it's more pipey than my R. It's a brute of a trike and I really have to work the shifter to keep it on boil. The R is similar but more tolerant of being a gear or two too high. Also, the Tecate is a 5 speed vs 6 in the R and it makes a difference.

In the sand, especially soft stuff, I prefer the fat front tire.

But, when I'm fresh and the T3 is ridden right, the Tecate is effin' fast and an absolute RIOT to ride!

Comparing the 85 T3 to an 85 R isn't fair. The R is a superior machine. Better suspension, better geometry, better handling, more refined, etc. The 86/87 Tecate looks like a similar machine to the 85/86 R but I have no experience with the later Tecates.

hogmuffin
09-05-2013, 01:52 PM
I recently bought a 85 tecate that was running but needed some work. Had to do some hunting on ebay but was able to find nos brake seals and boots and an aftermarket shock rebuild kit. It helps to find the exact part no. And sesrc it on eBay. A very friendly member sent me an air box for cheap. Put about 300 bucks in parts in it and I now have a very nice rider. And I agree with the posters above. It is a BLAST to ride! I love my 85 R but if you really want a thrill you can't beat a tecate