PDA

View Full Version : Tecate new motor, how pitted is too pitted for the head?

the ATC kid
09-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Alright so I just picked up an '85 motor for my tecate project and I was happy as a kid in a candy store when I realized that it not only had a KX 250 cylinder, but it was ported! :Bounce Awesome! but when I pulled the head off to check everything out I think I realized why, it looks like at one point the top end blew into roughly 8 million pieces and took out the cylinder so that's where the KX cylinder came into play which is in great shape, but the head looks like it was the original tecate head... Holy pitted! ive ran some shady heads before but this is a little much, do you think the hot spots will be too much or is it runnable? I'm really on a tight budget and this is just one more thing :wondering

the ATC kid
09-03-2013, 11:20 AM
I've seen pitting from bad gas, and this may be part of it, but some of these are wayyy too deep to be from gas alone.

Dirtcrasher
09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
I think I would have the dome cut to be safe.

Dave8338
09-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Yeah, that looks like a ring or two, has seen the topside of the piston. It does appear a bit chewed up BUT, if there are no sharp edges that can lead to pre-ignition, and you are on a budget... you could sand the dome with 100 grit to remove any sharp edges and put it back together. A good head job would be recommended.

MIK6
09-03-2013, 01:57 PM
The other option is a sprock cool head. Ive got one on my 2cate, it started life as a 85 T3. He also has 300cc top ends, the 2cate has one of them too lol

MIK6/ Mike

the ATC kid
09-03-2013, 02:18 PM
I'd love a sprock head but Im Really am on a budget and that's out've the question. if there are no sharp parts I probably won't develop any hot spots but will it lose anything performance wise? Or is it too insignificant a lose?:wondering

El Camexican
09-03-2013, 03:33 PM
$44 bucks and your up and running (make sure it fits your engine!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1985-Kawasaki-Tecate-3-KXT-250-atc-cylinder-head-/221233497140?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33828b4434&vxp=mtr#ht_94wt_1255

the ATC kid
09-03-2013, 09:19 PM
I know ive looked on ebay a little, but ive got the budget of a hobo right now and the less money ive got to spend is better :lol: Im still debating to run it or grab another, heres a few pics of the project as it sits now and the truck bed full of parts I got it as :D

86T3
09-03-2013, 09:37 PM
If you dont have the money to do it this time i highly doubt you'll have the money to do the engine again. If you cant afford it you should save till you can.

just ben
09-03-2013, 10:04 PM
If you need a head I'm sure I have a bunch and only need one and a back up. just pay shipping. That one is probably fine to run but if you can swing the 10 bucks or so for shipping I will give you a nicer one. If you can't pay that you are beyond a budget and just can't afford a tecate.

kb0nly
09-03-2013, 10:28 PM
I would save up if you cant afford it... Would suck to tear it down and do it all over again!

barnett468
09-04-2013, 05:56 AM
It does appear a bit chewed up BUT, if there are no sharp edges that can lead to pre-ignition, and you are on a budget... you could sand the dome with 100 grit to remove any sharp edges and put it back together.Yeah, what he said!

A good head job would be recommended.Yeah, what he said!

put full size sheet of 400 grit sand paper on granith counter top, marble flkoor or window next to frame

spray water oin paper

color head surface with felt pen

place head on paper

rotate 3 times with lite pressure

look at head if there are any felt marks left keep sanding.

the ATC kid
09-04-2013, 10:51 AM
If you need a head I'm sure I have a bunch and only need one and a back up. just pay shipping. That one is probably fine to run but if you can swing the 10 bucks or so for shipping I will give you a nicer one. If you can't pay that you are beyond a budget and just can't afford a tecate.

Thanks man I've thrown a decent amount of cash into this thing what I ment was I'm just short on cash right now cause I just had to buy a tranny for my Chevy truck and now the motors on the way out and that's another thing I'm building :rolleyes::rolleyes: I'm trying to build this one right tho, every bearing is new and I painted the whole frame:D

just ben
09-04-2013, 02:30 PM
We've all been there. I will take a look to see what I have

C.J
09-04-2013, 03:40 PM
I've seen worse ran in the Suzuki's lmao,,,, but replacing it is your best bet for sure. and save some spare change to scoop one to get recut