PDA

View Full Version : Silencer Packing

yamaha225dr
08-26-2013, 06:13 PM
The packing in my silencer is in need of replacing and I was wondering what you guys use. I want something stronger then the fiberglass packing but something to help make my 250r as quiet as possible.

tri again
08-26-2013, 09:01 PM
I packed one with bike shop mfm?ffm? whatever fiberglass made for that purpose
and it blew a cloud of glass sparkles bigger than the house.
Guess the lighting was just right.

I went and bought some stainless steel pot scrubbers and packed with that stuff.

Been working for over a year but beware of silver LOOKing stuff.
Real stainless seems ok. pretty cheap too.
I'd be tempted to try copper too but haven't made it that far.

Dirtcrasher
08-26-2013, 11:00 PM
I just buy the MOOSE packing and it seems to work just fine....

C.J
08-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Steel wool. Buy the big pieces of it ya know? You can unroll it around the core

yamaha225dr
08-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Well, it looks like I am gonna give the steel wool a shot! Before starting this thread I read about a bunch of people using it with good success. Some are even using the fire proof home insulation. Thanks!

cobradude
08-28-2013, 09:16 AM
I use fire proof insulation. its the white stuff & it doesn't make you itch

Gripit'n'ripit
08-28-2013, 12:48 PM
I used fire proof carpet padding once (I know, I'm a cheap trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro). Lasted for over a year and did the job. Currently using Moose packing.

El Camexican
08-28-2013, 01:43 PM
I always used steel wool when real packing was not available and it seemed to work great, but tri again’s stainless steel pot scrubbers sound better as I don’t like the idea of any metal strands possibly getting sucked back into a two stroke engine and I’m guessing that scrubbers would let any excess oil run back into the pipe instead of getting gummed up like steel wool and fiberglass does.