PDA

View Full Version : rust going right through inline filter

NO-SCALES
08-26-2013, 02:47 PM
185s . .. has filter on tank , and I put an inline filter on to just to be safe , and I used clear line so I can see that fuel is going through filter, I got a little extra line on there. was running pretty good. didn't have time to ride it though. idled fine , but I still have the backfiring a little if you give it a lot of gas ,while its parked. anyways , got a little time to take it out and it started and died , started and died , started and died once more, then wont start at all. I notice that rust is still getting through both my filters. ??? ( just a crappy filter???) it must be super fine to get past both filters right??? is it fine enough to just go through carb or think my carbs clogged?? previous owner put a new carb on it a couple years ago, Chinese im sure , they look pretty cheap , $22 shipped??? rebuild kit is around 15. guess im gonna take carb off tonight homefully and shoot it with some carb cleaner , and get a better filter put on there

Worden18
08-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Sounds like you need to back up one step further than the carb and filters. Take your gas tank off and clean the rust out of it. There's plenty of threads here that give good advice on how to do that....

NO-SCALES
08-26-2013, 03:46 PM
yeah im sure it needs to be done , I figured it would be alright for a little bit though with a fresh fuel filter. problem is the tank has been lined , it didn't stick to well apparently , cause not long after I got it, it started coming off, I got most of it out , but some still down where I cant reach. I thought I might get away for a little bit till I see a nice used one for sale on the cheaper side