PDA

View Full Version : ran 250r with no water FOLLOW UP!!

denn
08-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Just to follow up from my previous post. I took off the exhaust off the 250r and it looks ok in the cylinder. Not scored and you can still see the cross hatch. I did a compression test with the exhaust off, engine cold and throttle open. I came up with around 200psi 3 different times. I can only assume this is in the ball park. I think a tri-z is supposed to have around 190 or so. I would appreciate any insight here. Thanks again for all the previous advice.

atc007
08-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Good to go :)

82 250r
08-22-2013, 06:54 PM
I think ~ 170-195 is the range from the honda manual.
Looks like it's ok...

Dirtcrasher
08-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Sounds like you'll never do that again!!

Glad to hear it's AOK......

barnett468
08-23-2013, 03:17 AM
those cheaper comp gauges can easily be 20 lbs off so yiu might be from 180 - 220. all i would suggewat is do a plug reading to make sure you ate not jetted lean and listen closely to a slight/faint pinging uopn acceleration from a steady speed like 20 mph and 40 mph. if it pings you need higher octane gas.

glad it's ok.

denn
08-23-2013, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the replies, I am glad its ok as well. Its not running lean the plug has nice color and there is no pinging. The only noise I hear is that dam rattling. I was told it was the counterbalancer. I have faith in the Comp gauge, its not a cheap one. I do heavy automotive work so I don't skimp on tools :) I am not crazy about the 250R. Its not that impressive compared to my Z. Now I have been riding a Tri-Z since I was 13 (Im 36). I may be a bit Bias, but I expected a bit more the way everyone always raved about them. Again, maybe Im just used to the Z. Thanks again,

atc007
08-23-2013, 07:44 AM
I just realized you're from Lehighton. I used to deal some cars down there, 2 1/2 hours away from me. Hmmm, usually a R with that kind of compression would impress lol. Is the chassis shot? I highly doubt it,just thought I would ask.

denn
08-23-2013, 08:35 AM
No, the chassis isn't shot. The bike actually looks like it rolled out of a Honda showro0m 6 months ago. Ok, The story goes, back in 03 I bought a insane 350X off of someone here on the board, It was fast, had a powroll bigbore and all the trimmings. I really never rode it though. I tried to sell it last year and noone bought it, so I traded it for this 250r. The bike was a 2 owner and the second owner I got it from bought it a year prior and didn't like having to be in the pipe all the time which is why he was looking to trade. Well,the guy weighed like 300lbs and was like 6'3. I would say its a bit much for a 250 3 wheeler that requires a more nimble rider than most bikes. As soon as I jumped on the 250r I could tell the clutch was slipping like crazy. Which is why it felt like he was in the pipe all the time. So I traded for it. It came with the title and all the service records. Ive been riding 3 wheelers for 30 years and was always on a Yamaha. Everyone always dogged the yammies when compared to Honda. I always wanted a 250r to see what the hype was about. INMHO, when compare to the 85 tri-z yes its a superior bike but the 86 Z it seems evens the score. I thought something was wrong with the Honda when I first heard the counterbalance noise. The motors have entirely different tunes that come out of them. To me the tri-z motor sounds clean. The 250r motor has a bit more going on. As far as my riding style, I hang so far off off the side of a 3 wheeler anyway so the little difference in turning isn't really noticeable to me. 250r's seem a bit smaller as far as room goes. I know that for as far as this board has come and as much advancement that has been made in 3 wheelers, this comparison im making isn't even valid any more. But, its the first chance ive had to personally make the comparison. I'll post a pic of the bike later when I put the pipe back on. It really is a clean 250r.

denn
08-23-2013, 08:51 AM
heres some pics of the 350x I traded. 175938175939175940175941175942175943175944

Yamaha3wheeler
08-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the replies, I am glad its ok as well. Its not running lean the plug has nice color and there is no pinging. The only noise I hear is that dam rattling. I was told it was the counterbalancer. I have faith in the Comp gauge, its not a cheap one. I do heavy automotive work so I don't skimp on tools I am not crazy about the 250R. Its not that impressive compared to my Z. Now I have been riding a Tri-Z since I was 13 (Im 36). I may be a bit Bias, but I expected a bit more the way everyone always raved about them. Again, maybe Im just used to the Z. Thanks again,

I had a 250R when I was a teenager. Don't get me wrong, it is a fast fast bike. But compared to the tecate and Z I wasn't that impressed either. After riding the tecate and the Z I would have to say the tecate is the fastest 2 cycle atc I've ever ridden. That bike got from under me a few times.

Yamaha bikes are still my all time favorite for some reason or another :)

Rigaman
08-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Tri-z is my favorite out of them all. Built right they are amazing.

Canyon Man
08-24-2013, 04:59 AM
nice looking machine