PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Oil?

Trucker200X
12-25-2003, 01:02 AM
Alright this may sound stupid but what kind of oil do I use in my 83' 200X? How much does it hold? I am still "Learning" all of this stuff so I have no idea and no book to tell me...Thanks for the help...

BigRedRunner
12-25-2003, 01:49 AM
Haha, no question too dumb. :D Provided you don't tear into the engine and just do a straight oil change, you're looking at about 1 quart. If you open things up to change your clutch or such, you're looking at about 1.5 quarts. I just overhauled mne this weekend and gave it an oil change tonight, that's the only reason I remember. If it gets very cold where you are at, run 10w-40 in the winter and 20w-50 in the summer. I prefer Hondaline oil or something similar that is specifically designed for motorcycles.

speed20
12-25-2003, 01:51 AM
I ran straight sae30 in my 84 200x......i heard that the 10w30 had friction modifiers that made the clutch slip....the manual calls for 1.3 quarts....so i always put a quart and 2 ounces in mine.

BigRedRunner
12-25-2003, 02:59 AM
I ran straight sae30 in my 84 200x......i heard that the 10w30 had friction modifiers that made the clutch slip....the manual calls for 1.3 quarts....so i always put a quart and 2 ounces in mine.

Nah, the additives used in multi-viscosity oil are called polymers. They help to make sure oil will flow when cold and yet keep its viscosity when hot. Making it superior to straight weight in vehicles that see a wide tempature flucuation and have to lubricate both the engine and gearbox. Synthetics are something to avoid because they can cause clutch problems. That is unless you buy the motorcycle versions that do have the proper additives to keep your clutch happy.

Also, when you check your oil level, don't screw the dipstick in. What you're supposed to do is pull the dispstick, wipe off, and then simply set it in the hole without tightening it and then check your level. Add as necessary and screw it back in

Trucker200X
12-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Great, Thanks for the info guys. I need to change the oil in my Trike...Just didn't know what to use or how much..lol..Thanks again...