PDA

View Full Version : Paint fends from red to white can i do it

motoman1012002
12-24-2003, 01:43 AM
HEy can i pait my 85 200x fenders white. I want then to look like catfishes bike http://www.3wheelerworld.com/readersrides12.shtml the pic is towards the middle of the page. Can i buy some white paltice pait and do it or do i have to go this way http://www.3wheelerworld.com/TerryH_restore.shtml i want to build a old school 200x racer. My 200x motor has got soem goddies in it but i have one that is in pecies and goin to build a sweet bike. And i want soem differnt color platice on it. Can you guys help me

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-24-2003, 02:35 AM
why dont you just buy white fenders? painting plastic is the stupidest thing you can do.

ATCRYDER
12-25-2003, 12:32 AM
Yeah...Don't paint plastic. It will not last.

Trucker200X
12-25-2003, 12:52 AM
What about that new paint that is "Made for Plastic"? I think it may work.

Tyler 54
12-25-2003, 12:13 PM
"Yeah...Don't paint plastic. It will not last."

Sorry for my stupid Idea. I painted my 350X plastic 6 months ago. White on White. It stil looks like I just painted them yesterday. In my personal experience, It is cheaper, what have you got to loose? After all It worked for me!!

I am not sure About going from red to white though. It just doesnt seem like it would cover well. Plus if It ever does chip you would have Red showign through.

just my 2 cents-
Tyler

[/quote]

vartiak15
12-25-2003, 12:53 PM
what kind of paint did u use for the 350???

Trucker200X
12-25-2003, 12:58 PM
That looks REAL good. Craylon or whatever has that new paint made just for plastics and its guranteed not to chip or crack. How did your "Prep" the plastic? Primer? Did you have to sand it at all?

Tyler 54
12-25-2003, 01:38 PM
I usesd Krylon Fusion. These were my "test" fenders. They were horrible before I painted them. There for I did have to do some sanding. If you have a decent pair of fenders, that are just faded or something of that nature, I would reccomend that you do light sanding. If there are deep Scratches, you will have to do alot of sanding. Anyway, There is no Prep required. This stuff is VERY tricky to use. You have to start out with Light, and boy do I mean light coats. If you do not use light coats, I gurantee it will fish eye, and nto stick to the plastic. I am a firm beleiver in Fusion paint. I also painted my 200X fenders, I used an off brand "regular spray paint for them. Those fenders on the other hand aren't holding up as well, but stil look very good.

just my 2 cents-
Tyler

Trucker200X
12-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Cool thanks...I think I will give it a try...I was planning on buying new plastic's anyway so I realy don't have anything to lose...

ScottZJ
12-25-2003, 08:36 PM
Yeah I used the Fusion on my 350X with the blue plastic. If you prep it really really good and "mist" the paint on in about 100 coats :D . Then it will come out very nicely. It will take all day on a warm day to do but you want it done right. But if you blast thru the woods hardcore, then I wouldnt advise it. You just have too many things slappin those fenders to keep any kind of paint on.....hince my 350x is now white LOL............peace

Trucker200X
12-25-2003, 09:29 PM
I realy like that color blue! My fenders are orginaly white and I plan on just repaint them that color. So if it chips it shouldnt look too bad...