PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen 200x Carb jetting help

Ride_Red_Man
07-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Hello all, I just purchased an 86 200x and I am having an issue with "hanging idle" running it up through the gears or even just reving it in neutral the idle hangs high for 20-30 seconds and comes back down slowly. I pulled the carb and cleaned it out. I noticed that it has a 108 main and a 40 pilot. Is this correct for stock jetting? Im just wanting to make sure before I go any further with my hanging idle dianostics. Thanks guys!!!!!!:Bounce

curtis slawson
07-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Download the manuel first off 2nd jetting wouldnt cause the bike to be revin high for 20 sec then go low.

Sounds to me that your throttle valve slinder is getting stuck in the carb. this part connects to your throttle cable at the top of your carb where you untwist the top and you pull out the carb slider an needle check to see if it damaged or it sticking it should move nice and easy.

oscarmayer
07-22-2013, 02:16 PM
my sig has a manual link.
9Xs out of 10 it's the throttle cable that has a kink or hangs up. Try the cable out. make sure it is not binding when routed.

yaegerb
07-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Hanging idle has nothing to do with jet size. As already stated, your slide is hanging in the throat of the carb due to a faulty return spring or varnish buildup on the slide. The other culprit could be the throttle cable is routed wrong.

dirtwheels
07-22-2013, 10:11 PM
I had the same issue on my 86X. Ended up putting a new return spring and new throttle cable and it fixed it. As yaegerb stated, check the routing in the manual and make sure it is correct. You don't want it pinched under the tank. It makes a difference as the throttle cables can be touchy, especially if you have aftermarket bars that are wider or taller. I ended up ordering one from Motion-pro that was 2" longer to account for the wider renthal mx bars. It also comes with an inline adjuster to give you some more fine tuning.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-22-2013, 10:24 PM
The OP is my brother.. I was thinking after checking all the mechanical parts like mentioned above, possibly an air leak??

I know a wing-dinger will have a hanging idle if there is an air leak.. Have been told by some others that a thumper will too.

Hopefully we just find a mechanical issue. Seems the most likely cause.

Ride_Red_Man
07-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I will be downloading the manual shortly and will be going through the mechanicals this up coming weekend. I will be sure to keep the thread updated. I really appreciate the advice. Thanks again.

yaegerb
07-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Potentially an air-leak, but like you stated, I would ensure the carb and cable are working appropriately before you go chasing an air leak with some carb cleaner.

Ride_Red_Man
07-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Well Fellas, I did some digging over the weekend, Found the slide was being held up ever so slightly by the cable. I have a new cable on the way and also found what the Idle "knock" is. I pulled the engine, (got bored and wanted to do some cleaning) and ended up pulling the top end apart. I found the exhaust cam lobe malled really bad, discolored blue and the rocker follower really really bad.. Kinda found the "smoking gun" so to speak. I have a new cam, cam chain, chain guides, tensioner, and rockers coming. I couldnt believe I was able to find it all BRAND NEW!!! :w00t: pretty stoaked about that! I checked the bore (visually) and it appears to be in really good shape, minor scuffing in the intake side. Other than the scuffing the crosshatch is still there and prominent. I DID however have a head scratcher. I cleaned off the top of the piston and found no oversize measurement stamp and an unusually large "DG" stamped into the dome. (yes its a dome piston, not a flat top) Do any of you know the manufacturer of this piston? The only DG I know of makes axhaust, if they make or made pistons i've never known. Just figured I'd throw it out there to the trike guru's.