PDA

View Full Version : 200x carb help

redsox
07-20-2013, 09:40 AM
I need some advise on how to adjust the carb on an 85 200x. i'm usually ok, but this is giving me a pretty hard time. here's the back story (as if anyone cares) I bought a cheap 200x a little over a year ago that needed some work. its not my main machine and it took a back seat to other projects. also of note, it ran ok when i bought it. it leaked gas, because of a stuck float, but, as stated, it needed work. also, it would rev high, or sometimes low, and stall out. idle adjustment was very inconsistent. thing seemed to have a mind of its own. well, i did a clutch on it, fixed the wiring, did some paint and an exhaust. thing is looking much better. now, to the problems..

i rebuilt the carb. when i did, i noticed that the slide had an ugly dimple in the tapered section where the idle adjust screw touches. someone had really cranked it in there. i attributed the crazy variations in idle to this dimple. i filed it down nice and neat and i have a nice tapered slide now. i put it back together. at first, it started first kick but revved at extremely high rpm. crazy high. i realized that the cable was incorrectly routed. i got that solved, and now it starts with the choke on, idles for a few seconds, and dies. i can rev it a little, but it dies. it sounds like it runs out of gas. i've adjusted the main and the idle to the max and they have no effect whatsoever. its like i can do whatever i want without any changes. do i move the needle, and, if so, which way? i'm on the middle clip now. jets? how do i know? i'm pretty good with this stuff, but this one has me twisted.

some things to consider
1. i have no idea whats been done to this engine. the plastics and tank both had wiseco stickers on them to the point where i think the previous owner had stock in the company. the few times that i drove it, it went really good. its the only 200x ive driven, so i dont have any comparison. but it had giddyup.

2. i changed the exhaust, but not a drastic change. the head pipe is the same, but a dg muffler is on it now instead of stock (which was dinged up)

3. i took a minimal amount of material off the slide to smooth it out, but it has changed.

4. i replaced the main jet with whatever size came in the kit. i think i still have what i removed and i'm going to check now. also, i'll check to see what size i put in.

5. i'm getting fuel. new filter, clean tank, new lines, checked 100 and ten times. i'm gettin' gas, and its fresh.

6. air filter/air box is good. unobstructed, no issues.

PAPA250r
07-20-2013, 01:39 PM
http://www.oscarmayer.net/

Thats the manual it will show you how to tune it to oem specs

I have had bad luck with the non oem carb parts especially mass produced pilot jets and needles

redsox
07-20-2013, 02:11 PM
thanks, but link is no longer there. i have a clymer manuel, and tuned accordingly, but i think this engine has seen some work. i guess i'm just fishing for ideas on what to do.

redsox
07-20-2013, 04:15 PM
got it. nevermind. thanks. jeeze, am i dumb.

"Always be kind to the simple minded, except when the party in question is yourself." - Daniel J. O'Neill

duck4twenty
04-25-2014, 05:57 PM
got it. nevermind. thanks. jeeze, am i dumb.

"Always be kind to the simple minded, except when the party in question is yourself." - Daniel J. O'Neill

so what was the problem? having same issue with my carb

Liquid-Darkness
04-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Welp I had a simular problem with one of my 350x's once. I bought a 350x from a guy that never stated it had been running on race gas and had a 12:1 wiseco in it. I did not know, so I replaced the gas with regular 87 octaine. The thing would start but shut off and not idle and acted like it was running out of gas no matter what I did to the carb. So you might possibly have a Pop-UP in that topend and not know it man.. Just sayin I would look into that.

DohcBikes
04-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Was the needle loose in the slide/not properly clipped? Cmon tell us:lol:

duck4twenty
04-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Was the needle loose in the slide/not properly clipped? Cmon tell us:lol:

shwwweeet! Just check the needle and yes it was loose put a new one in and its all good idles fine now.
Thanks man really appreciate it

DohcBikes
04-25-2014, 07:45 PM
No problem. Just lucky I guess:D