PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Yamaha 225DX - White Smoke

IronBear
07-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Hello,

I have. 1985 Yamaha 225 DX and it was sitting for over 20 years. The carburetor was cleaned along with all fresh fluids, spark plug and air filter.

It smokes all the time, that is white smoke. It seems to have good compression and runs strong. I'm going to do a compression test to see what the deal is, but if anyone has any ideas of why this is happening, then please let me know.

Thank you for your answers.

leevarnado
07-20-2013, 08:59 AM
either the rings or valve guide seals are worn.a leak down test should tell you which one it is.

dougspcs
07-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Rings are likely frozen in the piston..valve seals all dry and brittle.

Top end refresh and you're golden..the nice thing is Yamaha's are a breeze to do in the trike.!

BTW, buy the OEM head gasket..I bought a Versah kit last summer for my 225DR and it didn't fit. Had to put the repair on hold and order parts from dealer.

I'd save you that pain..though others of course will say they've had great luck with Versah. Your call!

IronBear
07-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys, I will pull the cylinder off to see what the deal is. I did however adjust the pilot screw on the carburetor which helped considerably. It was turned in too much and was idling a little rough.

IronBear