PDA

View Full Version : 83 200x clutch issue

LukeDukem
07-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Hey guys. I've been a member since 07 but don't post much. I haven't visited in awhile, I've been restoring a car and put the 200x in a corner. Well I rebuilt the carb. And changed the oil. I also put new front forks on and fired it up. Sounds good but my clutch doesn't want to work right. I put it on a stand and pull in the lever and kick it in gear and the wheels start to turn. I work the lever back and worth and they keep spinning. Now when I changed the oil I pulled the lever and looked through the dipstick hole and stuff was moving around. So I'm stumped as to the issue. I tried to search but couldn't find anything with my issue. Thanks

Luke

rg97
07-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Hey guys. I've been a member since 07 but don't post much. I haven't visited in awhile, I've been restoring a car and put the 200x in a corner. Well I rebuilt the carb. And changed the oil. I also put new front forks on and fired it up. Sounds good but my clutch doesn't want to work right. I put it on a stand and pull in the lever and kick it in gear and the wheels start to turn. I work the lever back and worth and they keep spinning. Now when I changed the oil I pulled the lever and looked through the dipstick hole and stuff was moving around. So I'm stumped as to the issue. I tried to search but couldn't find anything with my issue. Thanks

Luke

If its on a stand, the wheels will spin easier, so even if pull the clutch in they will keep spinning. When its not on a stand, and you put it in gear, what does it do? stall no matter what? then you may have a problem.

LukeDukem
07-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Yes it will stall. I think. I haven't sat on it and kicked it into gear to try and ride. But while on a stand I can take my foot and try to stop the wheel with the clutch pulled and I can stall it that way.

yaegerb
07-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Frictions and steel plates are likely sticking together or they are worn and gone. I assume its been a while since you rode it? I would try and run it through the gears and see if that helps. If it wont go and keeps stalling then its time for new steel and fiber plates.

LukeDukem
07-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Frictions and steel plates are likely sticking together or they are worn and gone. I assume its been a while since you rode it? I would try and run it through the gears and see if that helps. If it wont go and keeps stalling then its time for new steel and fiber plates.

Yeah, it's been four years maybe since I rode it. I had it on the stand and ran it through the gears but I'm gonna try to ride it and see what happens. If it doesn't fix it were can I get the parts to fix and what exactly do I need? Thanks for help

Luke

LukeDukem
07-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Ok, I took it for a ride and went through all gears. Worked the clutch lever the whole time. Still nothing. So, now what is my next step.

Luke

kb0nly
07-20-2013, 11:56 AM
I would definitely take it out and put it through its paces first, i agree with that. Sometimes from sitting so long everything is gummed up and stuck, get her up to full temp and work it a bit.

Otherwise clutch time!

LukeDukem
07-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I went out and did what you said, but got nothing. So what parts do I need. Is there a kit for this. If so where can I get one. And what oil do you guys use. I have some oil for wet clutches I put in there, but I've been out of this game for a while now.

Luke

rg97
07-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Barnett dirt digger clutch kit, with some high quality 10w-30 full synthetic

LukeDukem
07-20-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm gonna order that and the special tool too. I found my clymer manual in an old box. Says I need a special tool

Luke

rg97
07-20-2013, 10:21 PM
as long as you have an air impact wrench, you most likely wont need any of the "special" holders that honda/clymer recommends. the impact wrench should take care of all you need without having to use a holder. You will still need a locknut socket if you dont have one

dmfaulks85
07-21-2013, 01:22 AM
You still need the locknut socket to get the clutch nut off, I heard you can make one but I've found it's easier to just buy one off eBay for $15

LukeDukem
07-21-2013, 02:07 PM
You still need the locknut socket to get the clutch nut off, I heard you can make one but I've found it's easier to just buy one off eBay for $15

I found one on there, thanks. Plus I do not have an air impact

Luke

dmfaulks85
07-22-2013, 02:04 AM
You shouldn't need an impact, I got mine off with a breaker bar pretty easy.

LukeDukem
07-22-2013, 07:32 AM
You shouldn't need an impact, I got mine off with a breaker bar pretty easy.

so you have done this before... was it fairly easy job. what kind of oil do you use

luke

redsox
07-22-2013, 08:59 AM
i just did a clutch on an 85 200x for the first time. fairly simple. you do need that special socket. also, order the two gaskets before you start. you'll want to put new ones on. the right side cover gasket and the kick start cover gasket. the cover gasket sells new, the kick start cover gasket i got from ebay. your gonna want to soak your clutch discs overnight in automatic transmission fluid. other than that, i followed the manuel and it was easy, peasy.

LukeDukem
07-22-2013, 02:13 PM
thanks for your help.

oscarmayer
07-22-2013, 02:21 PM
post your results. also while your at it, think about getting a set of heavy duty clutch spirngs. can be found on ebay for a good deal. barrett kit may have it all. i think they make a compelte upgrade kit for that bile for like $125 or soemthing but check it out. it should have plates, pads, springs and gaskets.

LukeDukem
07-22-2013, 06:14 PM
i just did a clutch on an 85 200x for the first time. fairly simple. you do need that special socket. also, order the two gaskets before you start. you'll want to put new ones on. the right side cover gasket and the kick start cover gasket. the cover gasket sells new, the kick start cover gasket i got from ebay. your gonna want to soak your clutch discs overnight in automatic transmission fluid. other than that, i followed the manuel and it was easy, peasy.

Where can I get the proper gaskets from. I tried ebay and could find any. Is there a special site that sells a lot of stuff for these trikes.

Luke

rg97
07-22-2013, 09:37 PM
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/1983/ATC200X+A/parts.html
here you go. it doesnt have all parts, because some of the more unique ones are discontinued, but most it still has.

rg97
07-22-2013, 09:40 PM
just checked and they have the main gasket but not the kickstarter one. i found one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Honda-Kick-Starter-Cover-Gasket-ATC200-ATC-200-1983-1985-11338-965-000-/350699762924?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a755b4ec&vxp=mtr

dmfaulks85
07-23-2013, 02:04 AM
It's not too bad, I put in a Barnett dirt digger clutch, make sure you soak the disks in oil for about an hour before you install them and torque the clutch nut to 29-36ft lbs. I use Amsoil 10w-40 full synthetic .

LukeDukem
07-23-2013, 07:26 AM
you guys have all been a big help... i have all the parts on order.