PDA

View Full Version : carb swap big red

spark23ca
07-11-2013, 04:04 AM
anyone know the difference between a 200m and a 250es carb..my big red carb is junk the seat is messed up bad from the ethenol the previous owner ran in it ..here if you buy supreme there is wayyy less ethenol in it ...i know it would likely be a down grade from from a 250es carb to a 200m carb but if it runs better it would be good enough ...or has anyone changed a neadle valve seat in 250 big red carb if so where do you get them

tri again
07-11-2013, 05:00 AM
You mean your 250es carb is in bad shape?
corroded etc?
I'm pretty sure they are specific to the 250 engines altho
I have a replacement carb with a flip choke on an sx, so I know there are
options.

flyingW is the 250 carb guru but it's always nice to have a rebuildable 'core'
as part of a trade.

Carb kits are everywhere. Lots online but I just get mine locally.
Try the search key as some kits are better? than others.

spark23ca
07-11-2013, 02:34 PM
yes the 250original carb is bad i'm going to try boiling it in lemon juice

spark23ca
07-13-2013, 01:07 AM
boiled er in lemon juice cleaned out the jets again and it runs...the brass plunger for the choke is still quite stuck tho ..so it starts hard in the morning ..and it does miss and stumble on low rpms especially if its in too low of a gear..think i'll figure it out after a while maybe...could be the tank too it smells pretty sour..and when you take the gas line off it doesn't poor out ..it doesn't trickle but it definately is not as free flowing as it should be ..could be just a bad plug ..haven't bought one of them yet..it was firing kinda sideways trailprotrailpro i let that boil in lemon juice as well..(had to try it lol)

spark23ca
07-14-2013, 03:36 PM
read another post on here about a guy with a bad strainer..so i took that off..full of green gum and when that got all cleaned off there was a hole in the bottom of the aluminum plug ..thought it was kinda hard on gas ...i'd like to post pics but my phone is junk ..don't take your phone canoeing

spark23ca
07-14-2013, 03:56 PM
172943 weird isn't it

tri again
07-18-2013, 07:19 AM
so the strainer bowl has a hole in it?

I can't imagine but then again, I've seen a few carbs that look like
they went swimming in hot lava to the point where the
uprights for the float were simple rotted away.
Not sure what causes that.

Anyway, be careful with that choke plunger.
I have one set so I can actually drool penetrant down the cable
and it eventually came loose.
As I recall, it's kinda like a sheetmetal piston and very easy to break off the ears.

Fresh gas should make a world of difference and you may have a tank vent
issue too if the gas doesn't want to pour out.

Sounds like you're on the right track but please keep us posted.

spark23ca
09-08-2013, 03:15 AM
mine has a plastic tank with motor cross style cover with the hose for a vent ..i've seen a few big reds never one like this...maybes its off 250ex or maybe something from after market..i 've seen one on ebay like this but selling for a big red but not original equipment ..dont' know...i'm still having some carb problems...got my choke out but can't seem to find a spring that works with it ..thinking of just closing it off using obects under the plactic bolt and over the top of the plunger ..i might put a snorkel on it ..if you put your hand over the end of the snorkel it works as good as a choke...also waiting on an emal from a guy who has a carb off of 98trx 250..its the real style mikuni with the spring and the throtle cable under the cap..these stock carbs are almost like street bike cv carbs...i can't tune them i can tune regular mikunis tho..snowmobiles is where i learned to mechanic so i'm used to them style carbs

it idles up and down when your just barely touching the carb...and throws allot of black smoke when your reving it out ..i think its the slow jet or the choke bore is wore where the plunger goes..no matter how many times i take it apart i always find a green film on things..maybe i should lemon juice it again..i've ran allot of gas threw the tank and its always been supreme gas

spark23ca
09-12-2013, 02:29 AM
i just threw it together ..the choke just needed to break in ..i have no cable just a peice wire i leave under gas tank and remove the seat to get at in the mornings...it seemed to like having the air screw adjussted all the way tight so i just turned it out a bit and set the idle up..i thought it was the third notch down on the main needle but it seemed to smoke too much so i rose it a notch ..it still smokes but a bit and i don't run it in the house anyway ..its an old bike and its running allot better now..those kits you get off of ebay aren't the best ..they don't come with any springs a needle valve seat or the nozzle that goes under the big jet ..mines quite pitted ..will probably take a few more tanks of gas and maybe a little see foam to clean er all out ..i can take the carb apart at any time and finde some green in it and i'm running supreme ..as i said it runs way way better and will run a little better likely when i set the valves...now onto bigger tires and rims so i can put a disk break in under the back rim ..i got some old ninja parts kicking around ..master cylinders and stuff.really really considering shortening the front shocks and putting the front of my wheeler off the ninja..wonder what the travel is on the back shock ...i'd find a softer one of them too if i knew the travel ..fun to rid but oh my back is killing me haha ..but i'll never stop..had it threw a washout today and it looked like a real ugly gold fish bubblin threw ..never let up and she screamed er way right threw