PDA

View Full Version : 250R Engine Builder Opinion

yaegerb
07-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Hi All,
I have been performing some research on different builders as I would like to eventually take my 85 250R to the next level. I will likely move to a ported/bored 265 or even migrate to a smaller CC powervalve (265/275).

I realize this could turn into a heated debate if left open ended, as engine builder preference is like religion, so I will narrow it down to my final nominee list. Also, I am looking for real-world opinions, meaning you have used this builder, witnessed the performance gains/losses and why you recommend/don't recommend. I could honestly care less if your uncle's, twice removed cousin from Bangladesh said this builder was crap becuase its not a first-hand account.

I have been looking at the following: Have any of you guys experienced these builders? If so, what say you?

1. Duncan International (Have read that they are not as fast, but quality is second to none, and the price....holy crap)

2. LED (Arlan Lehman Racing, formerly LRD, now LED)

3. BDT (I have had a few maintenance items worked on by BDT, no cylinders as of yet)

Thanks all in advance.

82 250r
07-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Loren Duncan bored, honed and ported (X Country) my 86 250r for trail riding. I got exactly what I wanted.
He asks ALOT of questions (what pipe, carb, compression, gas, head, altitude, silencer, etc.) to makes sure we're both on the same page about what i need for my style of riding.
MY cylinder and crank rebuild took 2 weeks last September including shipping both ways.
Duncan is expensive and I'll do it again without hesitation. My cylinder was perfect... even the gasket surfaces were squared up.

Hope this helps,
Marc

atc007
07-10-2013, 08:16 PM
LRD or Duncan. Hands down.

yaegerb
07-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks so far guys. Bill, those two are in my mind as well....I just can't believe that Arlan's products are so economically priced.....scares me a little as to the quality and there isn't many reviews of the products that come out of his NEW shop, LED.

atc007
07-10-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm gonna PM you ol friend.

D-dub
07-11-2013, 12:04 AM
I have no experience with them as of yet, but have you considered CT Racing? or FTZ?

Dirtcrasher
07-11-2013, 01:36 AM
I have no experience with them as of yet, but have you considered CT Racing? or FTZ?

Yes, If CT is building Rob Ray motors I can understand putting feelers out there but they must be doing something right.

JasonB
07-11-2013, 11:03 AM
whatever you do, DONT POST THIS ON trx250r.net lmao i think the entire message board would melt down with all the drama over bdt/carlos over there right now.

I have heard great things about all three companies, i only have experience with ESR so far personally though. Good luck man! Glad to see you're keeping the R again

yaegerb
07-11-2013, 11:13 AM
whatever you do, DONT POST THIS ON trx250r.net lmao i think the entire message board would melt down with all the drama over bdt/carlos over there right now.

I have heard great things about all three companies, i only have experience with ESR so far personally though. Good luck man! Glad to see you're keeping the R again

Agreed Jason,
That's why I posted here and not on trx250R.net. Quite honestly, I have more seat time with this site and as a whole, respect this sites' opinion much more than all others.

yaegerb
07-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Yes, If CT is building Rob Ray motors I can understand putting feelers out there but they must be doing something right.

Hey Steve,
I have contacted CT, talked with Allen, and researched feedback threads on CT as a whole. I think Allen deserves a lot of credit for keeping the 250r alive all these years, starting the 250R big bore trend with LA Sleeve and IMO he's a helluva nice guy. I probably would have gone with CT about 10 years ago. Today, I still use them on my four stroke items which is really where they are getting more bang for their buck. However, their attitude in my opinion has gone down hill and other than Rob's Sweet bike I have heard way too many complaints about their 2 stroke work within the last 4-5 years.

JasonB
07-11-2013, 01:06 PM
side note, have you joined on trx250r.org yet? new 250r site which so far appears to be drama free. Back to motor discussions!

Mosh
07-11-2013, 01:08 PM
I know you have your choices narrowed, but I would like to let you know that Jason Hall KNOWS how to squeeze power out of these R engines as well. I talked to a reputable guy that rode the aforementioned CT engine and he has ridden My Hall ported R and he said that My R ran stronger than the CT engine did.
We sent my brother in law's 92 LT 250R stock jug to CT a number of years ago for port head chamber and bore. They had the top end for 3-4 months and charged him to re sleeve it because "it was broke".
There was nothing wrong with the sleeve at all. We think it got dropped either in delivery or possibly at the shop.. Granted it ran good when they got done with it at the tune of 1100$...

yaegerb
07-11-2013, 04:48 PM
I know you have your choices narrowed, but I would like to let you know that Jason Hall KNOWS how to squeeze power out of these R engines as well. I talked to a reputable guy that rode the aforementioned CT engine and he has ridden My Hall ported R and he said that My R ran stronger than the CT engine did.
We sent my brother in law's 92 LT 250R stock jug to CT a number of years ago for port head chamber and bore. They had the top end for 3-4 months and charged him to re sleeve it because "it was broke".
There was nothing wrong with the sleeve at all. We think it got dropped either in delivery or possibly at the shop.. Granted it ran good when they got done with it at the tune of 1100$...

Interestingly enough, Jason contacted me via PM. I have heard nothing but good things about his motors and am looking forward to speaking with him about mine.

ceaserthethird
07-11-2013, 10:44 PM
I would go with Duncan Racing 275 PV, your really going to enjoy the power valve.

I have both cylinders...

Xowner
07-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Another vote for Jason hall I have watched a number of his bikes run hard at the drags at tf. Led would get my other vote

atc007
07-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Have you spoke with TC yet? You won't be disappointed : )) I had PM'd him BTW Mac :)

yaegerb
07-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Have you spoke with TC yet? You won't be disappointed : )) I had PM'd him BTW Mac :)

No, I haven't yet, but I do have his number in my phone :) I am on business travel the next couple of weeks and I will give him a ring later in the month.

Thanks again Bill!

Brendon

christph
07-12-2013, 05:37 PM
I have a Duncan 340 powervalve and it is a top quality cylinder. Comparing its actual performance with what I expected, however, I would have to say I am a little disappointed. It is fast but not scary fast, which is what I was hoping for. The Duncan cylinders were designed back in the early 2000s and I think CPI's Sphynx cylinder (which you can get from Arlan and BDT) have made advancements since then, particularly in port layout. I've been talking with Arlan because I'm thinking about getting a Spyhnx 363 (or possibly 300 non-PV) and he really knows his stuff. He will spend a lot of time on the phone discussing your options even though he has a lot of work to do.

Kintore
07-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Jason Hall is where its at! he is a honest reliable dude with a brain full of knowledge!

I would go with a bare 310 and send it to him. The PV is not worth the money IMO.

3wheeled roofer
07-13-2013, 12:48 AM
CT just let me down BIG time. I called them 3 weeks ago to set up appt to see how my new 330 was running since they rebuilt. Doesn't feel like it has power of previous motor 8 yrs old. I was told by Allen to call wed before and set up. I called 2 weeks before and was told call next week. Did this and was told call later in week. Called yesterday and was told they could dyno but can't fix if it was anything but jetting due to a razor was gonna be dropped and they took priority. What the f#%k. I spent over $1400 on a new crank and top end. Now I am racing Sunday on a motor that dosent have the power of an 8 yr old motor. I will give them one more chance on this motor but will go to ESR for my next build.
CT is hard for out of towners to get service. Had very minor issues with original build but this has really pissed me off. CT came highly recommended but leave a sour taste in my motor

jimthetruckdriv
07-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Hi, this post has got a lot of good information, I have 3, 81 250r, and I want to take them up, please keep us posted on this and what u do Thanks

yaegerb
07-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi, this post has got a lot of good information, I have 3, 81 250r, and I want to take them up, please keep us posted on this and what u do Thanks

No problem.

stroberts22
07-14-2013, 09:37 PM
You are so close to FTZ it would be worth a trip down to Cape to see there operation. ChrisD had a Puma built by ftz. Might want to give him a shout. I've been thinking about letting them do a sphinx for me.

250rRoostmaster
07-18-2013, 02:05 PM
I let Arlan build my 272cc stoker motor and lemme tell you he does amazing work and is a great guy to deal with. He is very intricate on the questions he asks and gets all the info out of you to build the motor YOU want. The low to mid pull on my motor is freaking incredible!! I also am running his handbuilt ATC pipe and silencer combo and it sounds wicked:twisted: +100 for LED Performance!!

250rRoostmaster
07-18-2013, 02:11 PM
I'd also like to add, he built my motor back in april, he has called me twice randomly since just to see how my motor is performing and what my compression is resting at among other things. Good dude