PDA

View Full Version : Shaft drive engine to Chain drive engine?

w1ldyovvnz
07-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Hey im new here, i own a Yamaha dx225 in pieces and am looking to put it back together using a couple parts bikes, but i want to also convert it to a Big Wheel. i think the best way i can do this is to make my Engine Chain drive. What bike/trike can i use parts off of for my Yamaha to make it chain Drive from shaft drive? Are the Warriors Chain Drive and would they work? i dont know many people with ATV's and Three Wheelers that are pre 1990 other then my father, me and a guy that i sell lawn tractor parts too so i really dont know much about them.

my1423
07-09-2013, 12:42 AM
I know the 82-83 xt200 shares many a part.
You need to swap the whole bottom end loosing the auto clutch.
The cases and internals are pretty much for the trike.

Better to find a different bike for a conversion.

OR find a shaft drive street bike for its rear hub/ drive line and use it on an atv tire with a custom swingarm.
Have actually seen a honda 250sx done that way.
Need 2 sprockets and some pillow blocks to move the shaft over.
This would be an issue with any fatcat mod since the tires are wider then any dirk bike.
Some street bikes are that wide, but little heavy.

w1ldyovvnz
07-09-2013, 07:02 PM
i was thinking of the suggestion you said for the shaft drive before i thought of chain and thought of the exact same as what your suggesting. my father has two older Yamaha Shaft Drive bikes that he said i can have if i want so thats possible. i remember seeing a BW200 for sale on kijiji and the guy had it converted to semi-auto from a Yamaha Three wheeler engine, i wanted to ask him how he did it but by the time i went to look for his ad again the bike must of sold. and swapping the entire bottom end seems like a waste of time when you could probably swap the entire engine in and lose 25cc or do a big wheel with the xt200 frame. Thanks for the suggestions