PDA

View Full Version : Picked up an 225dx

redsox
07-01-2013, 10:02 AM
So, i had a few drinks saturday night, and a really nice (looking) blue 225dx popped up on c-list, described by the owner as MINT. Kid wanted $500 or best offer. I didn't get in touch with him until ten oclock. He told me he just wanted it gone and that he would not be around the following day. So, a buddy picked me up and we drove the hour to see it. Got there after midnight. It was not as advertised. The plastics are decent, and it does run and shift. She smokes pretty bad. Electrical is a nightmare. The airbox is out of it , but he does have it. Its not complete though and there is no lid. Front tire is OEM and in good shape. Rears are bad, and the hubs are messed up, but they hold air. Good original seat, good original tank with good shrouds. long story short, the kid took $200, and I got my first yamaha. I don't think it'll be a restore candidate. I'll most likely part it out. Its cool to ride though, and I will be in the market for one of these in better condition. I dont know much about these. Kid wasn't sure of the year, but he said he thought it was an 84. I cant find a year on it, but i'm probably looking in the wrong spots. I'll post some pics later today.

dougspcs
07-01-2013, 12:58 PM
MINT..I really hate that word!

Search CL and use the word 'mint', then check out some of pics. You'll see what I mean..everyplace is the same.

There should be a BAN on the word MINT unless people have had there machine mint certified!

Glad your trip wasn't a total loss, me personally I won't drive an hour to see a machine without pics. Too many bad experiences and misuses of the word MINT.

That's my rant for today!!!

IronBear
07-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi there redsox,

Let me know if you decide to part it out. I know someone (indirectly) who needs a rear end and some other small stuff. If the wheels are mint, I'd be interested in those.

I picked up a very clean 85 Yamaha 225DX in Connecticut this past weekend. Engine was locked from sitting nearly 23 years but was able to free up the engine by putting some mystery oil down the cylinder and a nice size crow bar.