PDA

View Full Version : Added a key to the 350X this weekend

dirtwheels
06-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Too hot to ride this week so I got bored and took one of my spare 87 200x dash's and put it on the 350x. Fits great. Soldered the correct blk/wht and green factory Honda plugs into the wire harness exactly how it would be on the 87 200x. Everything tucks up neatly in the rubber boot as intended.

As far as the bike goes. I got it off the original owner in California about 7 months ago. I temporarily have an 85 tank on there because the one it came with had been sitting and had some light rust in it. Other than that, this exactly how I got it. Its all original.

dougspcs
06-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Cool, we should all be so lucky as to have a spare 87 200X dash kicking around..

I'd love to do that too!!

Nice clean 350X you have there too..

ATC-Eric
06-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Yeah that's awesome! Nice bike, and I've always wanted to start keying my machines.

dirtwheels
06-30-2013, 08:43 PM
I was lucky enough to come across a few dash's a few years ago before things got too out of hand. The plugs are repros flossyb made using the original one I let him borrow for the mould.

I know we are very fortunate out here in the west with a lot of nice bikes to pick from that are not rusted out. I was glad I found this one. It was worth the trip to California to get it!

honda200x1987
06-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Is Flossy still making a repro dash for the 87 X? I know he sold a few on ebay but I haven't seen any in the 3WW SHOP

Worden18
06-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Wow that is so nice. I'd love to have a 350x. Dash looks great

captainweezy
07-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Is Flossy still making a repro dash for the 87 X? I know he sold a few on ebay but I haven't seen any in the 3WW SHOP
Yep he had a handful of them at trikefest. I got one from him there. Im going to do the same thing with miy 350x.

200x350xtriz250
07-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Yea, don't have to be lucky anymore to get a hold of a dash, just get a hold of Flossy and he'll hook you up with a dash and the dash plugs. Nice 350x!

captainweezy
07-01-2013, 10:26 PM
I just put mine on to check the fit and it is way off. I wonder if my triples are not true 350x triples. Mine is an 85, were there different triples between the years?

Dirtcrasher
07-01-2013, 10:37 PM
DAMN!! I would have grabbed 1 or 2 if I knew he had some with him :(

dirtwheels
07-01-2013, 10:43 PM
The trees should be the same other than the 85's being silver and the 86's being black.

You need these from an 87 200X to do it...

Dirtcrasher
07-01-2013, 10:46 PM
The trees should be the same other than the 85's being silver and the 86's being black.

You need these from an 87 200X to do it...

I have those and a used dash. I was told some of the newer Hondas' had a key switch that would work.....

captainweezy
07-01-2013, 10:57 PM
I have those and a used dash. I was told some of the newer Hondas' had a key switch that would work.....
Yes I would like to know what key switches will work for sure.

userj8670
07-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Those dashes are neat! Would be neat to have a neutral light on it for the 350x lol. What ia flossy selling the dashes for? I have some spare keyed ignitions from 250sxs so that shouldn't be a problem. Also does anyone make that metal piece that is from the 87 200x?

oldskool83
07-02-2013, 12:34 PM
the key does not start the bike only allows it to be started so you still have to kick i over. Just looks like more clutter and things a bike does not need. looks nice, just not needed...like those extra wheels they put on wheelers.

Flossyb20
07-02-2013, 05:11 PM
I just put mine on to check the fit and it is way off. I wonder if my triples are not true 350x triples. Mine is an 85, were there different triples between the years?
C'mon Weezy, you know I wouldn't give you something that didn't fit...dirtwheels is right, you just need those handlebar mounts to get the dash on...you can use trx or later 200s ones, they are the same. As far as the key switches, I used an 87 trx switch, but the 200m/e/es switch will fit right in, you just need to eliminate some of the wires on the back (you only need 2 for the 350x). I'll have them up in the store soon, I need to place an order for some of the casting material...but need some money to do that, Trikefest tapped me out.

ebaccm26
07-02-2013, 05:47 PM
the key does not start the bike only allows it to be started so you still have to kick i over. Just looks like more clutter and things a bike does not need. looks nice, just not needed...like those extra wheels they put on wheelers.

I disagree. I often ride the back roads and usually end up stopping somewhere to get a drink or something to eat and being able to to have a key so someone can't simply ride off with my bike while I'm inside for a second would be nice. Doesn't stop them from loading it in a truck or something in that situation but it would deter your average punk from making off with it during that small time I'm gone. Plus it's just cool.

Xander
09-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Would you be willing to sell any keyswitches?

swampthang
09-29-2013, 08:47 AM
My 85 350x had a keyed ignition on it when I bought it. The original owner had it stolen out of his yard when it was fairly new and the thieves road it down the road until it ran out of gas. When he got the bike back he put a universal ignition and key on it. Its not wired up anymore and I don't have the key for it either. Sweet mod!!

honda200x1987
09-29-2013, 12:14 PM
The keyed ignition looks great on that bike! I would like to see someone replicate a 1987 350X but you would have to mold a red mudflap!

dirtwheels
09-29-2013, 06:35 PM
I thought about that 87 replica. If I find a mud flap that is not so great condition for cheap enough, I may sand it all down and try to spray it with some SEM color coat red just for kicks. I know Harlan had some of those blue tank decals at one point.

dirtwheels
09-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Xander, what were you looking for? The dash itself or the key switch? FlossyB has been selling replica dash covers in the 3ww store. And the ignitions, you can use just about any Honda one. 300ex, etc... The only difference with the replica dash plastics are the rubber plugs at the bottom that rest against the triple tree are built into the mould. On the real Honda ones there are 2 holes in it where you put the rubber pieces. Other than that small difference, they look like they would be great. I know flossyb spent a lot of time trying to make it good. He is a great guy and great member on here. I sent him the originals for the dash plug hole covers and his moulds for those came out near flawless. Recently, I came across some new OEM ones. They are almost impossible to find. Right now none of my OEM dashes or ignitions are for sale, but maybe in the future.

JasonB
09-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Very cool, I want a key on my 500 and 310 bikes! Nice work

honda200x1987
09-29-2013, 08:54 PM
You didn't happen to get those NOS DASH PLUGS from ebay for $25? A seller had them at a starting price of 9.99 and I shot him a email asking if he would list it as a buy it now for 25, well he did and just before I could buy it someone snatched them,arge! LoL
Xander, what were you looking for? The dash itself or the key switch? FlossyB has been selling replica dash covers in the 3ww store. And the ignitions, you can use just about any Honda one. 300ex, etc... The only difference with the replica dash plastics are the rubber plugs at the bottom that rest against the triple tree are built into the mould. On the real Honda ones there are 2 holes in it where you put the rubber pieces. Other than that small difference, they look like they would be great. I know flossyb spent a lot of time trying to make it good. He is a great guy and great member on here. I sent him the originals for the dash plug hole covers and his moulds for those came out near flawless. Recently, I came across some new OEM ones. They are almost impossible to find. Right now none of my OEM dashes or ignitions are for sale, but maybe in the future.

Xander
09-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Nope, still looking for an oem keyswitch to finish my 87 resto. Sorry some one bought them before you though.

Xander
09-29-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm looking for the oem dash and keyswitch, for the restoration of my three wheeler. I've been looking everywhere and seen one or two sell. Which sold too quickly for me to get. I've certainly been considering FlossyB's dash, but I was really hoping to do a good restoration since this is my first. Thanks for the reply though. If you ever decide to sell one please let my know, thanks.

Dirtcrasher
09-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Screw OEM restore unless you have money to toss around.

I'm gonna make brackets for all my trikes just to be safe and lock them down.

Shoe Goo holds these key mounts in place just perfect!

6speedthumper
09-29-2013, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=Dirtcrasher;1256858]Screw OEM restore unless you have money to toss around.

QUOTE]

I second that! Unless you have the cash, and just want the bike to sit and look pretty, screw it. If you actually plan to ride it; mod it, built it, beat it! I've been wanting to key mine as well. Now I know who to turn too.

jeswinehart
09-29-2013, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=Dirtcrasher;1256858]Screw OEM restore unless you have money to toss around.

QUOTE]

I second that! Unless you have the cash, and just want the bike to sit and look pretty, screw it. If you actually plan to ride it; mod it, built it, beat it! I've been wanting to key mine as well. Now I know who to turn too.

Lol, for one reason or another,,, some of us members DO have funds to spend that others may consider silly :)
IMO the dash board/key switch install looks very nice ~ and it works which makes it wayyyy nicer ~ GOOD job !

john

Dirtcrasher
09-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Well, my ex wife looked great too; All NOS. The trikes I have get very good maintenance and with the machines I have, I can make a simply key holder.

My "Funds" go towards crate motors, extended axles, tires and rims and such. Not simple items that both you and Howdy have been making :D

6speedthumper
09-30-2013, 11:53 AM
My funds go into performance. The way I see it, if I am taking something apart because it's busted, or worn out, it's getting beefed up with strong aftermarket parts, and making it a raped ape. I can't leave certain things stock. lol

honda200x1987
09-30-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm happy for anybody making any kind of discontinued ATC part, the more parts are made the better off we will be in the future for us to enjoy , no matter how small the part. Everybody has their opinion and I respect that ,most of my funds go to OEM or repros , my hat's off do the guys making these parts!

RodKnockRacing
10-01-2013, 10:19 AM
awesome also thats one clean 350x

Zach
03-26-2014, 07:51 PM
wow great work I am going to have to do this, that looks like it was supposed to be there and having the ability to at least disable the ignition system is awesome

Darius1502
03-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Yep...I fix mine up and make them pretty...I just don't ride them in mud or all that often. My Triz has looked the same for 10 years but I ride it only 2 x a year though.

86125m
03-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Light rust what exactly do you mean beacuase most tanks have a lite rust and work perfect.

honda200x1987
03-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Ever get around of doing a 87 replica? Never seen anyone do a 350X but I have seen a 250R and the best one I have seen thus far and cleanest! FREAKIN SWEET! I am itching to do an R and Mrs.mosh would be the only one I would call on to do the seat! http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/133675-R-tifacts-87-atc-250r-build-(Tons-of-pictures)/page4?highlight=1987+250r+replica
I thought about that 87 replica. If I find a mud flap that is not so great condition for cheap enough, I may sand it all down and try to spray it with some SEM color coat red just for kicks. I know Harlan had some of those blue tank decals at one point.

tri again
03-27-2014, 01:08 AM
wow great work I am going to have to do this, that looks like it was supposed to be there and having the ability to at least disable the ignition system is awesome

I put a keyswitch on one of mine too
but never hooked it up.
Never had to.
Anyone who goes near it looks around and asks for a key, and then they leave, so it works perfectly that way.

We all know how long it takes to throw a trike in a truck so a chain is best imo.

dirtwheels
03-27-2014, 01:33 AM
That 250r does look pretty cool! Would be neat to see a Mosh 250R seat done up with the different style 'A' in the ATC.
I have not given anymore thought to the 87 350x replica...yet.