PDA

View Full Version : 250r Chain Adjuster Wont Budge!

Grahm
06-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Cant get the chain adjuster on my 85 R to move at all with the spanner wrench.Is there a trick to this im not
seeing other than loosing the 2 bolts on the carrier?

Flyingw
06-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Pull the stopper bolt on the back of the swinger. You may be butted up against it.

Grahm
06-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Took that out too and still will not move.Making me pull my hair out.I dont understand how/why it could be stuck or seized.

Xowner
06-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Is yours the stock carrier? If so take a screw driver and put it threw the sprocket and get someone to push back on the machine or forward. The Weight of the machine can help you to move the carrier. Best to use a nice long screw driver to get some leverage on the carrier. Good luck

Grahm
06-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Yes it is stock.I will give that a try.Thanks

keister
06-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Is yours the stock carrier? If so take a screw driver and put it threw the sprocket and get someone to push back on the machine or forward. The Weight of the machine can help you to move the carrier. Best to use a nice long screw driver to get some leverage on the carrier. Good luck

And lots of PB Blaster.

Poco Loco
06-30-2013, 12:12 PM
I had that problem many years ago. I bent my spanner with all the pressure to move the carrier. I got another spanner and I welded the two together. Then I could get more torque on it. I removed the carrier. There was sand and crap inside the swinger housing. I used some sand paper to clean the housing where the carrier makes contact. I never had a problem after that. Yes even carriers need maintainance too.

atc007
06-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Your carrier is seized up under the caliper bracket. Using the advice so far is gonna break your carrier. You have to get the brake side apart,sand,clean,and anti seize. And if it is gritty inside . You will have to address that too. Very common problem on all eccentric X's and R's. Do not force it,fix it :)

barnett468
06-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Hello Grahm

This is what I would do. Remove and clean brake bracketarea as atc suggests then remove axle if still stuck.

1. Lift rear of bike until tires clear the ground.

2. Remove tires to remove weight from housing.

3. Remove pinch and stopper bolts

4. Remove caliper bracket and disc.

5. Clean pinch bolt grooves and rt side where caliper bracket was.

6. Try rotating carrier. If it doesn't rotate easily then proceed to next step.

7. Drive 2 chisels between pinch bolt bosses to open them up slightly. If you don’t have two chisels use 2 large, long, screw drivers and a friend to open them up with while you try to turn carrier housing with spanner. This will not damage the housing.

8. Spray WD40 or PB Blaster etc on both these areas.

8. If it moves slightly then spray more oil.

9. Alternate rotating housing both directions spraying oil at each rotation. It should slowly work free enough to remove.

10. If carrier won’t rotate find a 12” - 18” pipe that fits fairly snugly over wrench handle. Slip it half way over handle and apply MODERATE force to carrier nut. It should move then.

Grahm
06-30-2013, 04:01 PM
The axle nut is left hand thread right?So if im sitting at the back of it I would pull the wrench up correct?

Dirtcrasher
06-30-2013, 04:43 PM
There is a very simple way to deal with this if the carrier will not rotate from mud/dirt etc etc. You have to grease them up once in awhile; I avoid water as much as possible.

Anyhow, thread the pinch bolts in from the BOTTOM thread. Not from the top pinch bolt clearance hole.

Place a penny in the gaps and then snug up the underneath bolts to spread the carrier just a bit.

That has always worked for me; Some lubricant may also be applied.

Grahm
06-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Got it!Took the nut off the axle,caliper off,and gave the brake plate a couple taps with a rubber mallet and that did it.
Greased everything good and now the adjuster moves like it should.Thanks everyone.