PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Tri Z wont move???

1972mercury
06-29-2013, 06:43 PM
I just finished redoing my tri z and was running it and it was running really good and I went pull the clutch in go to shift it then it just dies first thing I thought it was the idle was too low so I got it to idle to about 2500-3000 rpm's tried it again and it dosent die now but I hear it go into gear but when I let the clutch out nothing???? the only other thing I can think of is the bolts that hold the clutch basket maybe those are too tight? has anybody else have this problem?

Yamaha_Rules69
06-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Im willing to bet that you have the pressure plate on the clutch pack installed incorrectly. There are two index marks, one on the basket, and one on the pressure plate. These two have to line up, or it will not work. I missed it on my first time, and this is what happened to me. Pull that right case cover off and check it out. ---- Jon

1972mercury
06-30-2013, 04:24 AM
Im willing to bet that you have the pressure plate on the clutch pack installed incorrectly. There are two index marks, one on the basket, and one on the pressure plate. These two have to line up, or it will not work. I missed it on my first time, and this is what happened to me. Pull that right case cover off and check it out. ---- Jon

You know your probably right i can't remember lining up the marks I seen 1 but never thought nothing of it I'll take it apart tomorrow and find out if that was the problem :)

John 4
06-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Please be sure to post your findings so the rest of us can use this thread in the future...Pics would also be awesome.
Good luck!

1972mercury
06-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Well worked on the tri z today pulled off the crankcase cover seen the 3 arrows on the clutch cover pulled off the cover and seen the 3 arrows on the inside clutch and it wasnt lined up so I turned it so it would line up put it all back together and..... nothing yet??? I was wondering is there supposed to be play in between the clutches and the clutch cover cause? when I put everything back together I noticed a gap about 3/8 of a inch between the last clutch disc to the clutch cover.

El Camexican
06-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Well worked on the tri z today pulled off the crankcase cover seen the 3 arrows on the clutch cover pulled off the cover and seen the 3 arrows on the inside clutch and it wasnt lined up so I turned it so it would line up put it all back together and..... nothing yet??? I was wondering is there supposed to be play in between the clutches and the clutch cover cause? when I put everything back together I noticed a gap about 3/8 of a inch between the last clutch disc to the clutch cover.

When you say the "clutch cover" I assume you mean the preassure plate? If so and there is a 3/8" gap between it and the last friction plate you have something jacked up. Are you sure you have all the plates in there? Seems you are either missing about 3 plates, or something in the lever/cable/pushrod is very wrong.

Maybe this can help you trouble shoot it.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/147713-Wet-Clutches?highlight=wet+clutch

1972mercury
07-24-2013, 02:14 PM
After looking at it closer my adjuster nut was screwed in to much that was pushing it out. Loosened it then the pressure plate came back in. So now I have the 3 arrows lined up withe the pressure plate, I got the adjuster nut lightly seated with the push rod, and got the clutch lever adjusted right got it back together last night still the same thing...the only other thing I can think of is the clutches are bad but when I put them back in they were not warped and there was no way of telling if they were good or not cause the motor had to be tore apart from when I first bought it. Can they look good yet but be junk or is there a way of telling?

devilman
07-24-2013, 02:26 PM
i assume you don't have a manual

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

El Camexican
07-24-2013, 03:06 PM
You’ve got me confused. I thought the engine was in the trike, but now I see it on a bench with no pressure plate or springs, so I don’t know what you are trying to get it to do in that state of disassembly. If you are trying to get the transmission to move it can’t without the clutch being fully assembled.

Assuming it is on a bench you need to insert the pushrod into the hollow in the input shaft (the hole in the center of the shaft the clutch basket is on) press it in tight with your finger and then work the leaver that the clutch cable attaches to on the left side of the engine. The shaft should push out to the right of the engine when you work the lever and providing you are pushing on it should go back in when you release the lever. Confirm this and also that there is a round steel ball in the end of the pressure plate and well go from there.

BTW providing you have all the clutch plates in there and none are missing they are NOT the problem.

1972mercury
07-24-2013, 04:07 PM
I should of mentioned that sorry but it's in the bike now that was a picture of it when I was rebuilding it. Yes right now the push rod and the ball-bearing are in the engine and I'm not sure how many clutch plates there are supposed to be? but that's what was on it when I took it apart I kept everything organized so I didn't lose anything so from those 2 pictures that's what is on the clutch right now.

El Camexican
07-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Is the cover off?

El Camexican
07-24-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm wondering if something didn't break, like the arm that moves the pushrod. It has to be something very simple.

Mosh
07-25-2013, 10:18 AM
After looking at it closer my adjuster nut was screwed in to much that was pushing it out. Loosened it then the pressure plate came back in. So now I have the 3 arrows lined up withe the pressure plate, I got the adjuster nut lightly seated with the push rod, and got the clutch lever adjusted right got it back together last night still the same thing...the only other thing I can think of is the clutches are bad but when I put them back in they were not warped and there was no way of telling if they were good or not cause the motor had to be tore apart from when I first bought it. Can they look good yet but be junk or is there a way of telling?

Your clutch plates look smoked to me by the pics. If you pull the basket off down to the main shaft and run the trans through the gears, you will be able to tell if the internal trans is broken in most cases, just by holding the sprocket while you turn the main shaft. If the sprocket does not turn while in any gear other the neutral, then internal gears are bad.
Also, you need to check the clutch push rod and make sure that both steel ends are on the push rod. The rod is aluminum with hardened steel end pieces. They have the tendency to fall off the push rod ends, and you will not get proper clutch adjustment. Also make sure the large ball bearing is in place

1972mercury
07-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Is the cover off?

No not right now

1972mercury
07-25-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm wondering if something didn't break, like the arm that moves the pushrod. It has to be something very simple.

I'm pretty sure the arm isn't broken one thing I thought was strange was say if you stall the trike in a gear you can start it up in that gear yet but you have to pull the clutch in cause if you don't it will move forward. Well when I was kicking it over while in first gear without pulling in the clutch curious it wouldn't jerk forward? even when I wasn't kicking it over it was still in gear 1st and you would just push it back and forth and you could hear the engine trying to turn over until it got to the compression stroke but it just would just be a little bit harder to push and it wouldn't even lock up the tires?

ScreaminRed
07-25-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty sure the arm isn't broken one thing I thought was strange was say if you stall the trike in a gear you can start it up in that gear yet but you have to pull the clutch in cause if you don't it will move forward. Well when I was kicking it over while in first gear without pulling in the clutch curious it wouldn't jerk forward? even when I wasn't kicking it over it was still in gear 1st and you would just push it back and forth and you could hear the engine trying to turn over until it got to the compression stroke but it just would just be a little bit harder to push and it wouldn't even lock up the tires?

Not totally sure, but maybe it's something with the transmission gears not engaging? It should definitely lock up the tires in gear and should lurch forward if you are trying to kick it in gear without the clutch in. You did say
I just finished redoing my tri z, but i'm not sure what you meant by "re-doing". If you took it all the way down completely, it might not be the clutch at this point. No expert here, just trying to help you troubleshoot. :)

Rigaman
07-25-2013, 06:18 PM
It won't lurch forward if the clutch isn't in right. I've seen the little nut on the middle of the pressure plate not seated right before on tri-zs. On the back of the pressure plate in the center there is a notched out area for the center nut backing. If its not seated in that slot, your clutch won't work. The plates will not be pressed in from the springs. It will just spin like the clutch lever is pushed in. Grab that little adjuster nut on the front of the pressure plate. It should have sone play in and out. If not, its not seated right.

1972mercury
07-28-2013, 02:01 AM
It won't lurch forward if the clutch isn't in right. I've seen the little nut on the middle of the pressure plate not seated right before on tri-zs. On the back of the pressure plate in the center there is a notched out area for the center nut backing. If its not seated in that slot, your clutch won't work. The plates will not be pressed in from the springs. It will just spin like the clutch lever is pushed in. Grab that little adjuster nut on the front of the pressure plate. It should have sone play in and out. If not, its not seated right.

Well you were right Rigaman took it apart and that nut was not seated in that notch it must of came out when I was putting it back together I took a picture of the clutch before and after you can see the little bit of space between the clutches and the pressure plate.

christph
07-28-2013, 06:39 AM
When you install the pressure plate with the springs the clutch should be engaged. The clutch plates should not be loose; if they are, something is wrong. I can only think of a couple things not being able to inspect it. One, your pressure plate is not aligned with the the inner hub. The plate is aligned when you can install it and it compresses the clutch plate stack. With a misalignment the plate will stop about 5mm from the outermost plate. Two, the free play adjuster in the center of the pressure plate has too little free play (effectively making the actuation rod too long) and it is not allowing the pressure plate to compress the clutch plates. Check the free play on your clutch. If it has no free play that may be the problem.

ScreaminRed
07-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Did that solve your problems? Is she up and ripping again? :)

El Camexican
07-28-2013, 06:42 PM
So does it work? Even if it does, like Mosh said, your plates are smoked.

1972mercury
07-29-2013, 02:38 PM
So does it work? Even if it does, like Mosh said, your plates are smoked.

I have the clutch back together right now but my crankcase cover gasket got wrecked when taking it apart but I put it in gear with the clutch back together and tried to push it and the back tires do lock up so as of right now everything seems to be working the way it should. Now just have to wait till thursday for the new gasket then I can really try it out!!!

El Camexican
07-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Great to hear, I hope it's fixed, but those plates are smoked big time, I should have looked closer at them before saying they weren't the problem. I wouldn't use the new gasket until you get some new friction plates if they are all like the one we can see in the photo. Were you able to roll the trike in gear with the clutch pulled in?

1972mercury
07-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Great to hear, I hope it's fixed, but those plates are smoked big time, I should have looked closer at them before saying they weren't the problem. I wouldn't use the new gasket until you get some new friction plates if they are all like the one we can see in the photo. Were you able to roll the trike in gear with the clutch pulled in?

Yeah I should get some new ones I was looking in the manual at the wear limit on the clutch discs they say 3.0mm new and 2.7mm wear limit I'll get some new ones but I'll measure my old just to see? With the trike in 1st and the clutch out it wouldn't move then when I pulled the clutch in it moved but not as easy as it would be in neutral.

El Camexican
07-29-2013, 11:23 PM
With the trike in 1st and the clutch out it wouldn't move then when I pulled the clutch in it moved but not as easy as it would be in neutral.
That is how it should be.

My concern now is that your clutch pack is so thin overall that soon the preasure plate will start contacting the inner basket and your trike won't move.

Rigaman
09-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Any update on this? Im curious to see how it came along.

1972mercury
09-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Any update on this? Im curious to see how it came along.

Right now it is altogether but it's been sitting for awhile but shortly after my last post on here I took it out and the clutch is bad it goes but you really have to rev it to get it going and when you shift you can hear it slip but she goes!!! I did buy new clutch discs for it a month ago but have been busy with work haven't had time to replace it yet but I'm going to do it soon before the snow comes. But as soon as I get it done I'll let you guys know how it goes then :naughty: