PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a tirck for gas cap that wont vent?

sp8twn
06-26-2013, 12:28 PM
My 85SX gas cap doesn't vent,,, was just wondering if there wasn't a trick I could try before I buy a new one?

Jason125m
06-26-2013, 12:35 PM
As far as I know they are not rebuildable. I had a cap that didn't vent on my 250sx, what I did was move the lever to the off position. And then right where the lever points to the on position, I drilled a hole through the whole thing. Just a tiny tiny one. And when the lever was in the on position it would cover the hole so water would not get in.

Ghetto, but it worked for when I sold my sx with my crappy cap! LOL

Flyingw
06-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Buy a new one and be done with it. The vent assembly in the cap is corroded and is not repairable.

Flyingw
06-26-2013, 02:02 PM
And that goes for the rest of you S X riders with stock tanks. There's gonna come a day real soon when the SX caps are depleted from Honda supply and will no longer be available. My advise is to get one while you can. If anything, put it away for now. I have 3 stashed along with extra swingarm boots.

pipeline triker
06-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Take an air hose nozzle and blow air into the vent holes in the bottom of the cap. This will pop loose the vent and then just shake and tap on the cap. You will see a bunch of dust and junk come out. Once cleaned out spray a light oil in the vent holes. I have saved lots of caps on lots of differant machines like this.