PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my installed (New in box) Speedometer Kit on my 1985 Honda Big Red 250ES

IronBear
06-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Hello all,

I finally had time to install the new speedometer kit on my Big Red and detailed the machine for the upcoming MT Washington ATV ride. Below are some pictures.

dougspcs
06-21-2013, 08:55 AM
That trike is so clean it's painful to think of it being ridden..

And speedos are becoming the bling everyone just has to have.

Love it!

yaegerb
06-21-2013, 09:20 AM
That freakin trike looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Very nice indeed.

barnett468
06-21-2013, 09:52 AM
That freakin trike looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Very nice indeed.

DITTO! Who cares about the speedo, post some more photos of your bike, lol.

IronBear
06-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Thank you very much guys. I'm a neat/clean freak and keep everything I have clean. I use Zaino auto polish (plastic wax) for the fenders and the regular wax for the metal parts.

The speedometer cost me some cash for sure but I'm slowly getting all of the Hondaline accessories for this machine. The only things I'm missing are the Hondaline OEM rubber pegs, working light and toolbox for the front.

I do ride it in parades and charity events, but take my Can Am for all the real rough stuff.

Big G
06-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Dang Bear, you have a very nice example of the 250ES!
Funny Doug how you mentioned about speedo's being popular. I bought my '85 250ES last year with the speedo on it, and at the time contemplated taking the thing off because I didn't really have a use for it. Glad I left it on if it'll increase the trike's value!

IronBear
06-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Thank you Big B.

I would hold onto your speedometer. If anything, it will make your machine worth more money :)

dougspcs
06-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Dang Bear, you have a very nice example of the 250ES!
Funny Doug how you mentioned about speedo's being popular. I bought my '85 250ES last year with the speedo on it, and at the time contemplated taking the thing off because I didn't really have a use for it. Glad I left it on if it'll increase the trike's value!

Yeah don't lose that..the speedo alone if it's complete with the drive gear, cable, head and mount is worth about $200-300..condition dependent.

I have one on mine, been searching the planet for the OEM mount..it's fixed on there with a fabbed mount for the moment.

If anyone has a head mount, I'd love to hear from them..

By the way, I found a readily available replacement cable that fits perfectly with the OEM speedo..for anyone who is looking for a replacement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB350K-CB350-K-Speedometer-Cable-68-73-/310693034738?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4856bf7af2&vxp=mtr

Ghostv2
06-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Sometimes ive seen trikes go for $2-300 with a speedo. The speedometer is worth that alone. Wish i would of had cash at the moment.

kb0nly
06-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Hey doug does that cable you linked to work with the 250 speedos or all of them? I got another 200 speedo and drive gear i am cleaning up and going through for its owner, the cable is kinda rough but working for now.

The last speedo i got was a total steal, it was on ebay listed as a scooter speedo, but the face said ATC on it, and he had two different cables and drive gears with it, he said he didn't know what was what so selling it all. Got the whole works for $75, cleaned it all, lubricated the drive gear and cable and cleaned and painted the speedo housing, tossed it back on ebay and got $350 for it, shortly thereafter i sold the other drive gear and cable which turned out to be for a Honda bike, got another $75 for that. Man i wish deals like that would come by more often!

dougspcs
06-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Hey doug does that cable you linked to work with the 250 speedos or all of them? I got another 200 speedo and drive gear i am cleaning up and going through for its owner, the cable is kinda rough but working for now.

The last speedo i got was a total steal, it was on ebay listed as a scooter speedo, but the face said ATC on it, and he had two different cables and drive gears with it, he said he didn't know what was what so selling it all. Got the whole works for $75, cleaned it all, lubricated the drive gear and cable and cleaned and painted the speedo housing, tossed it back on ebay and got $350 for it, shortly thereafter i sold the other drive gear and cable which turned out to be for a Honda bike, got another $75 for that. Man i wish deals like that would come by more often!

Gotta love being right place, right time!! Whatever keeps the toy account in the black it awesome!

Anyway, all I can tell you is that this cable was the right length and had the correct drive on both sides for my speedo head and drive gear..I took a chance that it would fit the 250ES and won..

That being said most of the Honda speedo cables I was browsing on Ebay had the same drive/driven ends but the length varied for the different applications..

This one is about 33"..suggest you eyeball the two ends of the cable and see if they look right for your 200 speedo, then measure to see if it's close to that length. My guess is you'd be good..then you just have to decide if you are willing to gamble $20.

atc007
06-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Beautiful set up Ironbear. Thanx for sharing! If it was mine,I would get that key chain off there! It WILL put little scratches in that tank. JMHO. I know it's well protected with wax,,but I've seen many a machine worn into the metal from them!

Honda bro
04-16-2020, 06:08 PM
What speedometer kit did you use? I’m looking for one for my 1985 Honda big red 250es