PDA

View Full Version : 250es fuel filter

maxdallasfan
06-19-2013, 12:57 PM
I just picked up an 85 250es big red and the previous owner has a fuel filter on it. Is this necessary? I was thinking about removing it, but then I would need a longer fuel hose. However, the OEM fuel hoses go for $60.

So: If i should keep the filter on, what type/brand is recommended?

Or: If I remove the filter, then I need a longer hose from the petcock to the carb. Can anyone recommend where I can get a piece?

Thanks all.

Larry T Moore
06-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Ive got a clear hose on my 250sx...it was actually the air line off of a can of fix a flat..I washed it all out first and it wont chemically degrade from gas...cost of the fix a flat..5 bux...and try to never use those filter with the brass in them..they restrict fuel flow and can cause issues that Ive seen people rip engines apart over..go with a nice clear one..

dougspcs
06-19-2013, 01:57 PM
There are two screens between the tank and the carb, one in the bowl and the stem screen that protrudes into the tank. But they aren't a fine filter but they do stop the worst of the crap from winding up in your carb.

When the tanks get a bit rusty often people will install another inline for added protection..so I guess we should ask how your tank looks.

If it's kinda scabby, I'd stay with the inline..if it's clean then you could remove it and go back to a single hose.

Any auto parts store will have bulk hose you can buy to replace the hose..cost you a couple bucks. Also inline filters..

You should be able to walk out spending less than $15..

If it was me, I'd pull the tank, dump and replace the fuel, clean the petcock, pull the carb and give it a complete once over..this way you know where you stand so as you start riding it you don't start chasing your tail trying to figure out running issues..

Also, like many others love to preach(myself included) change the differential oil..what comes out will be a perfect health indicator for the differential.!

Have fun on your new ES..I feel sorry for your Yamaha though. It'll not be seeing much of you anymore!!:cry:

UPNATM
06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
X2, to what Doug has said. Just for reference, this is the filter I used. Its not super big, so it doesn't look goofy under the tank. Its small enough to fit nicely in line, and there is no problem with flow, etc.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4863548970501244&pid=15.1

dougspcs
06-19-2013, 02:37 PM
X2, to what Doug has said. Just for reference, this is the filter I used. Its not super big, so it doesn't look goofy under the tank. Its small enough to fit nicely in line, and there is no problem with flow, etc.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4863548970501244&pid=15.1

Don't know the K&N number do you?? That one is a fair bit more manageable than the one I've seen..

UPNATM
06-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Don't know the K&N number do you?? That one is a fair bit more manageable than the one I've seen..

I don't have the K&N p#, but you can get them from a bunch of other sources, like Napa.
Here is Napa's p# 7401158

Aaron

tri again
06-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Ive got a clear hose on my 250sx...it was actually the air line off of a can of fix a flat..I washed it all out first and it wont chemically degrade from gas...cost of the fix a flat..5 bux...and try to never use those filter with the brass in them..they restrict fuel flow and can cause issues that Ive seen people rip engines apart over..go with a nice clear one..

I got a generic clear filter from the lawnmower section at the hw store.
The S.O.B would not allow fuel through and blowing through it seemed very ez and normal but it would NOT let fuel through.

Might have been designed for a fuel pump type application but there was no mention.

I too, use clear line, (the most expensive avail) actually in a loose loop so crud can accumulate in the bottom of the loop.
Then I just pull off the line, drain the sludge and slip it back on.
No clamps necessary.

Larry T Moore
06-19-2013, 05:54 PM
I go down to my local cycle guy..he has clear ones for motorcycle applications...he builds race bikes and puts them on those so I trust them...Ive never had luck with those brass filters..must just be works for some, some it dont kinda things...never thought of the loop thing tho...good idea!!

Jason125m
06-19-2013, 06:02 PM
I think everyone should run an inline filter regardless. Just not some big bulky thing. No one wants to be 25K from their truck and you suck some crap into your carb!!!!

Even gas you get straight from the pump could have some rust in it!

maxdallasfan
06-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks all. It probably is a good Idea to keep one on.

Does anyone know where to get a replacement for the air filter screen? Or better yet, what's the best way to clean one.

honda4h
06-19-2013, 11:04 PM
running a inline filter sometimes gets a air lock and the bike will stop running for a bit let it sit and it starts. i have had i happen over the years and i beat my head against the wall. trying to get the bike to go. one day i looked it the empty filter with a full tank of gas. took it off and never had a issue after that