PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on securing an ATC/3 wheeler to an ATV trailer

IronBear
06-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Hello,

I'm heading to a major event this upcoming weekend and would like some suggestions on what to use to secure my ATC to an ATV trailer to prevent theft. I already have a lock for the trailer to the truck however, I need something that will lock the machine down to the trailer.

Any suggestions/opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
IronBear

M.Pargiello
06-17-2013, 11:55 AM
I use a couple large steel cables through the frame and wheels then around the tongue since it's locked to the truck

kb0nly
06-17-2013, 12:00 PM
I second that, cable locks! I have a couple cable locks that i drop down through the slat floor on my trailer and around the frame rail of the trailer and the around the frame of whatever i am hauling, along with the ratcheting tie downs, its secure and safe. Sure you could cut a cable lock, not impossible, but it deters most.

sp8twn
06-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Chain and lock!!?:lock:

jb2wheels
06-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Enclosed trailer or van.

IronBear
06-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys! I'll pick up some cable locks.

Name Brand
06-19-2013, 02:02 AM
I use a chain. Chain makes noise when someone is messing with it. Someone could cut or saw through a cable quietly.

tri again
06-19-2013, 04:22 AM
I found some 'pull pin' screamers.

About like a key ring thing, probably goes in a purse so when someone grabs and runs, the thing screaches down the street.

I'd either guess staples or Harbor Freight.
Wicked loud and you need to put the pin back in to shut them up.
or run out there and smash it with a rock.

Let me go look for one.

Can't believe I found one. Still in the truck from lasttime.
about the size of a key fob, say 2x3 inches and 1/2" thick.
Name on the front says 'intermatic'
back says:
personal alarm
model SP640B

Surely there are some other cheap motion sensor types too.

Absurdly loud and surely way less than 5 bucks.

I've been using those 20-30 foot dog leash cables wrapped through everything and then one or 2 of these.
Not bad to tarp the trailer if you're in a motel

Better to think of now than later.

kb0nly
06-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Definitely tarp it, and if you can tightly tarp it out to the trailer sides so that you don't just have the tarped shape of a trike. Then for all anyone knows it could be junk to furniture to who knows what.

An enclosed trailer would be nice, maybe some day i can actually afford one... LOL