PDA

View Full Version : jug and sleeve question. and gearing question.

dream3wheeler
06-17-2013, 11:31 AM
#1. I want to buy a used cylinder jug for my 350x. Its bored to an 89mm and needs to be bored and honed. Now this is probably a dumb question but if i wanted to buy an LA sleeve and put that in the jug then bore it a little over and get a 12:1 piston and put it in there...would that work out? Main reason for that is so i can keep the original piston and jug since it still runs nicely.

#2. I have 14/32 gearing. What size chain do i need? Is there an equation for this sort of thing. Original gearing is 13/40 with 90 links 520 chain.

dream3wheeler
06-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Scrapped the jug and sleeve idea. Any ideas on the gearing question?

RIDE-RED 250r
06-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Holy smokes you've got that thing geared to the moon!

As to the chain, I don't know of any specific formula because distance between the sprockets has just as much to do with chain length as sprocket sizes.

Just get a 90 link chain and cut it to fit properly. No biggie....

dream3wheeler
06-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Im wondering what difference that gearing will make. I've got a little experiment going on. Once i get the chain and jet the 400ex carb after finding out what jet kit to get it should be a pretty satisfying machine for me.

RIDE-RED 250r
06-17-2013, 08:01 PM
#1: that sprocket gearing you listed is significantly higher than stock. So much so that I would estimate that even with the 400ex carb upgrade the X will struggle to pull 5th and 6th gear with any kind of authority. Your acceleration will be significantly diminished...Unless of course you are going with smaller rear tires. Just like playing with sprocket sizes, different tire sizes/profiles have the same effect on your final gearing...

#2: as to "jet kits". Aftermarket brands of jets like Dynojet for example don't run the same as genuine Keihin or Mikuni size for size, number for number. I always buy genuine Keihin jets for my carbs to avoid headaches, hassles and confusion. Jetsrus.com is a good source and has every jet available for Keihin carbs.

dream3wheeler
06-17-2013, 08:27 PM
I have 20 inch tires on the way. I knew my acceleration would be way down but this is overall a lifetime project. At some point this will have thousands of dollars into the engine and lots of crazy upgrades. It'll be satisfying to putt around on for the time being. With some time and money over the next few years and after college ill have the acceleration problem taken care of. That's at least what Im hoping.

RIDE-RED 250r
06-17-2013, 08:49 PM
You might wear out that chain and sprocket set by the time you pump up the engine! LOL! Just messing with ya.... :beer

dream3wheeler
06-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Lol. Im going to a tech college for small engines and stuff this fall. Hopefully when i get back ill know a lot more about this stuff and i won't have to stupidly waste my money on experimenting lol. Ill let you know how crappy this experiment turns out haha.

dougspcs
06-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Lol. Im going to a tech college for small engines and stuff this fall. Hopefully when i get back ill know a lot more about this stuff and i won't have to stupidly waste my money on experimenting lol. Ill let you know how crappy this experiment turns out haha.

The tech college will give you a good foundation, but you'll learn way from the hands on experimentation by far!

dream3wheeler
06-18-2013, 04:51 AM
Exactly. Im preparing and gaining basic hands on knowledge before i get to the hard technical stuff later.