PDA

View Full Version : 225DX Swingarm Rebuild Problems :(

ColtonGG33
06-15-2013, 02:57 AM
so i got a swingarm bearing rebuild kit and i took all the wheels off and plastics so its easier to get to, so it started off good, the nuts came right off but then we tried to get the swingarm pivot pin bolt and it ended up stripping it? and it is on soooooo tight. i know im gonna have to order a new bolt for the one side but how can i get the stripped one off? Any ideas or advice i would really appreciate it.

btw if you dont know, the part that stripped is the part that requires a allen wrench. heres what it looks like so you can see it http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-YAMAHA-YTM225DX-TRI-MOTO-SWINGARM-SWING-ARM-PIVOT-PIN-BOLT-/110931319338?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d4059a2a&vxp=mtr (its not mine just for people who dont know what it looks like)

Thanks in advance
Colton

atc007
06-15-2013, 09:31 AM
You needed to clean and spray the threads with your favorite penetrant ,then heat that area to break the Loc tite,then 9 times out of ten,the lock collar will come right loose with a hammer and punch. Then,go to Sears and buy yourself the right sized allen wrench. Hondas are 17MM,I don't recall what Yammies are off my fried brain.

Yamaha3wheeler
06-15-2013, 04:57 PM
You haven't even got to the fun part of pulling out the bearing and sleve when the bearing breaks. I changed one back in 1998 and it was seized so bad that I had to have it cut out with a tourch. A heavy duty truck bearing puller that I modified to fit wouldnt even budge it and I used pentrate and heat. It was an always kept indoors machine too. I hope you have better luck than i did. Do you have a good bit of threads exposed where you could get a set of heavy duty vice grips on it. I'll let others comment on methods to remove it as I usually tend to try and take the easy way out and screw things up, lol.

ColtonGG33
06-15-2013, 05:45 PM
You needed to clean and spray the threads with your favorite penetrant ,then heat that area to break the Loc tite,then 9 times out of ten,the lock collar will come right loose with a hammer and punch. Then,go to Sears and buy yourself the right sized allen wrench. Hondas are 17MM,I don't recall what Yammies are off my fried brain.
Ok thanks for the help. im getting the right size allen wrench today, and im pretty sure i have pb blaster on me, if i dont i know i have some wd40. and i got a torch so thats no problem heating it up.

ColtonGG33
06-15-2013, 05:49 PM
You haven't even got to the fun part of pulling out the bearing and sleve when the bearing breaks. I changed one back in 1998 and it was seized so bad that I had to have it cut out with a tourch. A heavy duty truck bearing puller that I modified to fit wouldnt even budge it and I used pentrate and heat. It was an always kept indoors machine too. I hope you have better luck than i did. Do you have a good bit of threads exposed where you could get a set of heavy duty vice grips on it. I'll let others comment on methods to remove it as I usually tend to try and take the easy way out and screw things up, lol.

haha thanx for the advice, i dont think ill have a problem tho becauese the bearings were so bad their isnt any bearing in it left, but if i do have a problem with it i can just use a screw driver and hammer and tap one side in and then use some vice grips and pull it out.

ColtonGG33
06-15-2013, 06:01 PM
also how do i get the stripped one off? since its stripped? should i just drill it out and then do the other one the right way