PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on cleaning fuel tank, 85 big red

BIGRED1985
06-13-2013, 10:33 PM
I've been told by many that my tank is in unbelievable shape, which I'd have to agree with. But I see a little rust swooshing around inside, very minor but I just don't want it in there. I drained the tank out as much I could today. I took off the tank and fuel shutoff valve. I took the valve off of the tank but I was surprised That the fuel strainer didn't come out of the tank. Does it come out of there? I thought it does but wouldn't budge. I want to put a new one in as it seems everyone advises that for how cheap they are. Since that didn't come out I couldn't get every last bit of gas out. I was going to blow compressed air in it, reassemble, fill her up and put a little sta-bil in but i am at a standstill. also was going to put on a small inline filter too. Any help or tricks would be appreciated.

kb0nly
06-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Take a needle nose pliers and work at it, if that doesnt work what i have done is get a screw thats just big enough to grab into it and screw that into the center of that plastic tube and then pull on the screw with a pliers to get some leverage on it and pull it out.

They do come out!

tri again
06-14-2013, 05:41 PM
x2 with KB.
I've used a regular woodthread lag screw/bolt but also heard someone say that they can push IN.

I remember an almost invisible 'o' ring up against the tank drain.

Had the same problm trying to get the last few drops of water out so
we got some clear fuel line and the air compressor nozzle.

If you hold the fuel line down into the tank in the 'corner' where the liquid settles, you can aim the air nozzle at the end of the fuel line
in a "Y" type angle and it will suck the gas / water out like a jet engine
by creating a vacuum, if you can picture that.
Then a little splash of 'heet' fuel line drier and leave it in the sun.

That vacuum line setup is safe and will also work with a garden hose diameter to get the chunks.
Easier with 2 people.

kb0nly
06-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Venturi effect is what he's talking there... I have done that also to clean out tanks. I have also use a shop vac with a piece of 3/8" tubing duct taped to a crevice tool to make a long tank vacuum hose... LOL

Just have to get mean with it, that tube will come out. My 200ES did that same thing when i replaced the petcock this spring, it had the original one riveted together and was leaking bad so i replaced it with a new aftermarket one thats thankfully screwed together so you can rebuild them. That damn tube wouldn't come out for nothing, a large screw and vise grips made it give up.