PDA

View Full Version : 250SX reworked for 200X frontend pics

Dirtcrasher
12-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Finished the 200X front end conversion onto a 250SX. I certainly don't want to do it again - at least not this way. It was a lot of work to get it all lined up right and strong. It would have been easier if I had cut the stops off of a 200X frame and then welded it on the SX frame but I used what I had. I just hand made these stops from 1/4 inch steel plate and a right angle grinder. I also recomend the use of a Mig welder but all I had was my trusty Lincoln arc welder and some 3/32 rod. It is a nice feeling knowing I have 8 bolts holding my forks in place versus the stock SX triples setup.

Also to those of you who desire this or similar conversions - You must remove the stock SX stop as it hits the 200X clamp bolt in the rear. You have to cut 5/16ths of an inch off of the stock SX headlight metal bracket as it is too long for 200X triples and it will poke through your lower grommets if you don't cut it - but it will bolt right up. In addition if you run 200X triples the forks tubes are a good 1 and 1/2 inches closer together than the stock 250SX. You can stretch the hell out of the SX headlight rubber straps and they will work - or just pop them out and put the rubber straps in through the plastic headlight housing backwards and then they are not stressed and work great. I also opted for 20 weight fork oil and 1" PVC spacers in the 200X fork legs to keep them up high. The plain PVC at your hardware store is about .030 thousandths too large in diameter to slip into the fork tube and you must either turn it down or use a disc sander and accomplish the same thing.
I still have to rig up the disc brakes somehow as it is running a 250R hub which is narrower than the 200X.

Dirtcrasher
12-23-2003, 08:17 PM
BUMP...

Alot of you 250SX owners have asked about this conversion in the past and I just want you all to know the work involved.

Or just dent the hell out of you gas tank!! It's up to you :-D

ScottZJ
12-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Why dont you come on out to TN land and assist me in my conversion! :D I am planning on doing that but it seems I have way too many projects to get to it. I am thinking I need to let the 83 250r project go so I can attend to the others lol..........peace

DIGGER DOG
12-27-2003, 11:34 AM
great job dirt crasher I wish I could weld.
I just put a 200x front on my wifes SX for kicks and giggles granted Ive not even attemted to put stops on it yet but thinking that the 200X front makes the sx too light up front a real wheelie machine of course the front comes up in 1st (granny gear on SX) 2nd just blip the throttle it comes up 3rd it still comes up and in 4th it needs a little help granted a hydrolic brake set up could put weight on but Im thinking that the 200X front end set up may well be too light for my wife to handle especially going up a hill
since you have perfected this set up what do you think would the set up be only for somone with experience riding I enjoy the lightness and the handleing of the 200X set up ( im sure it handles wayyy better than stock after stops are installed) as of now (no stops) turns left great :-D but my wife just putts around but im still worried about her flipping it also where could i get some wheel spacers for the rear end to widen that up

3WheelsForever
12-27-2003, 01:39 PM
You think the sx is easy to wheelie with the 200x front end, then you better watch out if you ever put a 350x front end on there. When I switched the front ends from the 200x to 350x it was way to easy to pull the front wheel off the ground.

jason85atc250r
12-27-2003, 02:00 PM
DiggerDog you could just slide the forktubes up in the tripple clamps. move them up a inch or 2 and see how it works.

DIGGER DOG
12-27-2003, 02:05 PM
Im thinking about going back to stock after all it is for the wife

honda250sx
04-02-2006, 01:17 PM
I am in the process of switching over to an 85' 200x front end myself. I have opted for the 350x headlight though. Just waiting for all the ebay items and other sorts to come in from all over the country. I cant see how it can be that bad. If your inclinded enough to ride a three wheeler than you should be good to go on tackling this project. I go to school for machining so i recently built a set of 1 inch wheel spacers for the SX. They bolt up using the stock studs on a 4/100 bolt pattern. Then i offset the pattern and used a bolt thru setup to mount the rims. Havent rode it yet should make a drastic difference!

smvorndran
10-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Dirtcrasher, I know this thread's almost 5 years old, but I wanted to comment on a conversion I'm planning for the next month or so. I have an 85 SX, and like you, want a 200X front end. I have a complete 86 200X front end I'm putting on the SX. I'm taking a slightly different approach. I'm going to maintain the SX triple so I don't have to mess with the stops, and I'm going to space the caliper out, and modify the SX front axle, or machine a new one, whatever it takes to use the 200x hub. I like the wider stance of the SX forks, and I think I should be able to get it together fairly easily. I can't wait to have front disc brakes. Did yours ride any better?

smvorndran

Dirtcrasher
10-16-2008, 03:45 PM
It absolutely rides better and the front brake is sweet! If your not a jumper then leave the SX tripples if you wish, but running the 200X tripples is great because they are aluminum and have more mounting bolts....

Too bad all the pictures are gone from this thread, I had some good shots and there gone from my computer too... Making up some stops was a piece of cake.

POS 250sx
10-16-2008, 03:59 PM
My trike came with a 250r front end conversion, no stops and a beat to hell tank. The one fork was bad so i replaced them both with that out of an XL250s. so if i put stops in mine wen i replace the tank, how much bigger will my turn radius be?

honda250sx
10-16-2008, 09:29 PM
POS250SX I live in Lockport. Where are you at? This is my 250SX. I absolutely love the 200x front. It makes the SX that much more of an awesome machine.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/brauerpower/DSCN3318.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/brauerpower/DSCN3319.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/brauerpower/DSCN3320.jpg

Dirtcrasher
10-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Look at that SUPERTRAPP!! :naughty: :D

SCRAMCHARGER318
10-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I must say Honda250sx you bike looks AWESOME i love it, i want to put a 350x headlight on my sx as well, what do you have to do to the wiring, anything?
or do you have to splice it?

POS 250sx
10-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Wow thats a sexy machine. Im on transit road. My trike is real ugly especially compared to yours lol. My forks are LONG they are off a dirtbike, but they ride real nice i love um. Ill go take a pic and post it up, maybe u guys can tell me wat ya think about my forks.

Threes company
10-17-2008, 06:34 PM
:drool: Veeeeery sweet machine there Honda250sx. You have all the right goodies on there...... thanks for the pics! :beer

piroguedog
10-17-2008, 08:41 PM

I have made a few more changes. Black handle bars, Black dura cote on the headlight guard, black hyd res guard, new oem grips.

krock71
10-18-2008, 02:03 PM
sweet sx,love the looks of it,i have one that i only ride in the winter,but after looking at yours they do have patential,i have big bare claw tires on mine,should of bought smaller,the sx has lots of power,and would most likley handle alot better with x front end,thanks for giving me ideas