PDA

View Full Version : Finally found another one....

ebaccm26
06-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Been looking for another KLT 185 for a while now and finally found another one. Came with all the old paperwork and stuff. Paid way too much for it but the guy wouldn't budge and I wasn't going to pass up the 1st 185 I've came across in over a year. Pretty good shape overall, just some average riding wear, scratches and stuff.... Runs and rides great but the engine sounds like it has a bit of a tick, I'm horrible at diagnosing that kinda of stuff so I'll throw up a vid of the way it sounds. Never ran the other one before I tore it down so I have nothing to compare it to. Headlight is cracked but I have a new one on the way, other than that I'm quite happy to have found another one.

Not the best pictures, plastics looks kinda faded but they aren't it is just the sun. And the front end isn't bent I just didn't have it straightened out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYv9nEzfyqo

Yamaha3wheeler
06-03-2013, 09:19 PM
I hear two different noises. The first noise i hear is kind of a chatter noise. From what I can tell from the video, the noise appears to be coming from your clutch. It is completely normal. I rebuilt EVERY part of my 225dx clutches and it does it. Not as loud as the old one I replaced. I used all NOS parts including the primary clutch which was very hard to find in NOS. The old clutches make that kind of noise. Notice how the chatter noise goes away when you give it some throttle and pick up the revs.

The second noise i hear is a very slight valve tapping. Kind of sounds like a very light, faint, sharper tick sound. Me personally, I wouldn't adjust for such a small amount of tick. It probably is within or extremely close to spec. That is just my opinion. I do not see any problems. How does she ride? Post a video of it moving! Very nice bike!

honda3
06-03-2013, 10:33 PM
adjust the timing chain. should cure the ticking problem

Larry T Moore
06-04-2013, 05:21 AM
guy up the road from me has one of these for sale...I thinks its the same CC...its on craigslist for 350.00

MRSOUND
06-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Mine has almost the same identical sound at idle. I was afraid it was piston slap. But I'm no better at diagnosing than you are though lol

Worden18
06-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Wow, nice grab. I really like the looks of it :)

I'll leave the diagnosing to the smarter guys

thestud25
06-04-2013, 11:41 AM
That thing is minty fresh! OEM tires and everything.

hogmuffin
06-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Wow!! very clean machine!!! I'd love to find 185 to go with my 160.

Taiser
06-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Engine sounds fine too me, just some tuning, adjust the valves and timing chain like somebody else said and it should be perfect. Nice score!:p

MRSOUND
06-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Been looking for another KLT 185 for a while now and finally found another one. Came with all the old paperwork and stuff.
Would love to have the paper work for mine:(. By chance are you going to trikefest? Would love to see mine and yours side by side:acr. Would tempt me just enough to bring mine.

shortline10
06-04-2013, 04:33 PM
I would adjust the valves and put some decent oil in it . The timing chain is self adjusting , you can remove the top cover and see if its loose .
Not sure how the air box is routed but that idle noise might be coming from were it snorkels out the frame (possible just a suction noise ).

ebaccm26
06-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the compliments and the tips guys, I'll check out the valves and the timing chain this weekend. After going out and listening to it again though I am definately less worried about it.

Would love to have the paper work for mine:(. By chance are you going to trikefest? Would love to see mine and yours side by side:acr. Would tempt me just enough to bring mine.

Would love to see that aswell but sadly I just don't have the time to make it down there this year.