PDA

View Full Version : 200x clutch replacement advice

newby200x
05-29-2013, 07:58 AM
The 87 200x is going to be in need of a new clutch this year. My question is how hard is it to replace? I'm not too eager to go internal on this machine, I read the manual on how to remove it and it looks like it could be challenging. Do you really need the special tools to hold the gear in place to remove the nut? Is it something a professional should definitely do? Any advice is appreciated.

tri again
05-29-2013, 08:09 AM
I'd check the search key for "200x clutch" or similar.
and you should get tons of info in one click.

Yeah, I've never been clear on reverse threads since they are rarely obvious
and not always mentioned in the books.

Someone made a clutch holding tool out of an old cooking pot.
Hopefully you'll get some good answers when the sun comes up and that the search key works.

jb2wheels
05-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Not sure how different the 87 is from the 84 but if they're the same and like very other Honda single I've worked on:

Yes you need the tool for the nut. You can make one out of a socket but for $10 why bother?

No you don't need the clutch holding tool. I stuff a penny between the primary gears to hold stuff in place. Use a penny - soft enough not to damage the gears.

Larry T Moore
05-29-2013, 09:47 AM
I had an 86 200x...they aint hard at all...I made a clutch holder out of a cooking pot...I cut 3/4's of the side off...cut a hole in the middle and drilled the 4 holes....the only pain was having to hold the clutch lever on the cover while sliding it back on...make sure you surface the friction plates while theyre out...I poured fresh oil on a concrete pad and ran them around in a circular motion on both sides,,worked like a charmed..rode it for 4 years before the rings started going bad

dougspcs
05-29-2013, 10:46 AM
I have never used the holding tool to do any clutch..electric impact(or air) and you can hold the clutch with your hand!

Pretty straight forward job, just follow the book and use OEM parts.

You'll be singing in no time..

74sickness
05-29-2013, 11:41 AM
I did my 83 200x last year it was pretty easy and for that nut all i did was smash a socket onto it and it spun off. Make sure your gaskets are good and if they are not then buy some because you will have kickstart problems if you dont have gaskets. Good luck

M.Pargiello
05-30-2013, 05:59 PM
I completely forgot about the socket when I did mine this winter, so I cut up one of the 100's of random sockets in the shop and used an impact. Never needed a holder. I haven't used OEM plates in the past other than what may have been in the machines when I got them, so I can't say anything about lifetime. But the kevlar Barnett plates and HD springs seem to work awesome.

Dirtcrasher
05-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Impact gun, loctite on reassemble. Crank has LH threads, don't forget that!!

Clean oil filter rotor.

Tap cover off gently, no screwdrivers. Grease the new gasket as well as the bolt threads for an easier time next time.

Soak fibers for an hour and your ready to roll.

Simple motor, clean bench and well lit.

Scootertrash
05-30-2013, 09:31 PM
all i did was smash a socket onto it

If no one else will say it I will: Dude, seriously?

You should watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2PNHysj7A

Here is the proper tool for the job. For less than 20.00 you actually get 2 tools. It's not worth wasting you time hacking up a socket, at least not to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CLUTCH-110-ATC-125-ATC-90-CA-200-CB-200-WRENCH-LOCK-NUT-SPANNER-TOOL-ATC-/150957988498?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2325cc1a92&vxp=mtr

just ben
05-30-2013, 10:52 PM
If no one else will say it I will: Dude, seriously?

You should watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2PNHysj7A

Here is the proper tool for the job. For less than 20.00 you actually get 2 tools. It's not worth wasting you time hacking up a socket, at least not to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CLUTCH-110-ATC-125-ATC-90-CA-200-CB-200-WRENCH-LOCK-NUT-SPANNER-TOOL-ATC-/150957988498?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2325cc1a92&vxp=mtrI didn't watch the whole video but just skimming though it seemed the first 9 min. or so were about homemade tools and modifying tools to make them work better. I agree if you have the time and cash , buy the proper tools. The clutch holder is a waste of cash IMO. the tool for the the clutch hub nut is a good investment however if you have a clutch kit in your hands And not the proper tool a socket and a grinder are a good alternate.

newby200x
05-31-2013, 07:56 AM
Still on the fence about it... may wait until winter to work on it so I can at least ride it this summer yet. Thanks for all the help so far.

Dirtcrasher
05-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Bring it to trikefest, we'll put it in for you. Fibers,metals,springs,oil,new gasket.

newby200x
05-31-2013, 12:03 PM
I will probably take you up on that...

Dirtcrasher
05-31-2013, 02:25 PM
^ I forgot to mention the beverages we may need :D

El Camexican
05-31-2013, 03:47 PM
I wish Disney would make a full length Primitive Pete movie. Would be a hoot.

newby200x
05-31-2013, 05:44 PM
That can be arranged..ill have plenty along :)

Scootertrash
05-31-2013, 09:21 PM
I didn't watch the whole video but just skimming though it seemed the first 9 min. or so were about homemade tools and modifying tools to make them work better. I agree if you have the time and cash , buy the proper tools. The clutch holder is a waste of cash IMO. the tool for the the clutch hub nut is a good investment however if you have a clutch kit in your hands And not the proper tool a socket and a grinder are a good alternate.

I totally agree with you, but I've never been in such a pinch I could wait a couple days for the proper tool. I do have a modified socket for a Polaris crankshaft nut that is very similar to the Honda clutch nut.

My "Seriously Dude" comment was directed at his "smashed a socket on the nut" solution.

The first part of the video is about inventing tools, but the main point is using the proper tool for the job.

Xander
10-02-2013, 10:51 PM
If you didn't get the clutch replaced yet, just leave the engine in the machine and put it in gear while holding the brake. It's very easy. No special sockets are needed on the 86-87

Dirtcrasher
10-02-2013, 11:11 PM
The crank is LH threads, so please save another good crank.

I am 50/50 on 12 motors for crank threads.............

oscarmayer
10-03-2013, 03:58 PM
buy the tool and use an impact. i have don hundreds of clutch replacements now. every race session my son gets a new clutch in his quad engine. and lot so trike motors and other quads. I always laugh at the guys "trying" to do it using the "tools" all you need is the keyed socket and an impact. i use a air one but have used an electric in the past. both work fine. i can promise you it will be so much easier to uninstall and reinstall with an impact than trying to use that stupid holder tool. it will take you abotu 30 min to do the entire job from start to finish with an impact, you 6 hours with that dam tool and a cheater bar. take your pick.