PDA

View Full Version : Parts & some work for The B1 TECATE.

torker
05-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Here are some parts I've been getting for my 86' TECATE. I'd like to thanks many members here for their help on this. I wouldn't call it a restoration, maybe it is, maybe it's a makeover.
Everything will be gone thru, painted, new bearings are already here, so on and so forth. You know how it goes...
Many thanks to:
Jeswinehart: For pointing me in the right direction on most everything for the TECATE. Great resource and knowledge. Great guy to deal with. Thanks for the free air boot.
Justin "Hornetpowersport": Great guy to deal with. Great TECATE radiator shrouds.
Xowner: For the front fender, hope I can get a 10" front wheel too...
sblt500r: Thank you for the TECATE fender mount.

And a few more I'm sure I'm forgetting, Thanks guys.

Here's a few parts that have showed up on my door.

OEM rear fender and most of the rubber bushings. Got it from e-bay for $189 to my door.
Amazing how cheap these OEM fenders are...and how expensive the OEM front is.

170312 170313 170314

Clarke fuel tank. Had to wait for this one to be made. Came in @ $218 shipped. Amazingly, it is not shiny, it has, however,
a very smooth surface and I think it will shine nicely with some elbow grease. By the way, it fits great.

Got this front fender from Xowner. This is not a OEM restoration. I just wanted a good front fender. With the TECATE OEM front fender going for $395, the green ATC250R fender is the ticket. And the shrouds, well, only from Justin.

This is the new KX125 petcock. 8 hrs after I got the TECATE home, fuel reached almost to the gutter because. Not good.
the banshee petcock had to go, but mainly, because of the way the fuel line has to go around. Looked like a mile of fuel line. And this one was $19 from e-bay. OE kawasaki part.

There are more, but my phone is really slow transferring to my PC. I'll start a good thread as soon as I start work on the B1 KXT, since it's still together. Also getting most of nuts and bolts from the bolt depot, why pay hundreds for bolts when you can get most for about $19 + shipping?

What do you guys think??? :naughty::naughty::naughty:

TORKER.

ONEBAD350X
05-28-2013, 01:04 PM
cool, I want one of those bad!!!

JasonB
05-28-2013, 02:58 PM
VERY COOL! in for updates

torker
06-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Ok, I took the eyesore (but very strong and fast) of an engine off the frame to clean it up, go thru it and paint it. The thing have had, at least, 4 different colors on it. Black, 2 greens, blue, silver. So, since I'm gonna go thru the whole thing, I've decided to give it a very good cleaning. I mean, very good. I've ordered a complete moose gasket and seal kit. As soon as it arrives I'll take it completely apart and put it back together again with whatever it needs.
Here are some before and after engine pics.

Before: http://i42.tinypic.com/fnerlt.jpg After: http://i39.tinypic.com/2nq4dus.jpg

Before: http://i39.tinypic.com/2n0lrag.jpg After: http://i44.tinypic.com/8vpuut.jpg

Before: http://i39.tinypic.com/157itc8.jpg After: http://i43.tinypic.com/nbynow.jpg

Sorry for the small pics (I don't have a clue as to why :wondering :wondering :wondering ???)

I sandblasted the whole thing and let me tell you, that sand will get everywhere, no matter how sealed you think it is. Now the paint will come out the way I like it.
It will probably need a piston, so we'll see when the gaskets and seals arrive.

What do you think???

TORKER.

jeswinehart
06-08-2013, 09:41 PM
From my past experiences of sand blasting motors (several) you are so right in it is hard to get 100% sealed up !
Your motor will accept paint (or a polishing) so much better and it will hold up for years with a clean base to work with.
Nice !
You going to need a KIPS emblem ?

kevink
06-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Torker, looks like you are doing fine so far. Just wanted to let you know that the rubber bushings that you need for fenders/headlight mount/fuel tank mount are available at stores like tractor supply or napa for about 1/8th of the price anywhere else. Ive also learned that the sears hardware store by me has a huge selection of nuts and bolts (panhead, chromed allen, fine thread, hardened metrics,etc). So please do your homework at the local store rather than paying an absurd amount of hard earned money to someone wanting $10 for a "rare" bolt. Keep up the good work and hope to see your finished product.

torker
06-08-2013, 10:13 PM
From my past experiences of sand blasting motors (several) you are so right in it is hard to get 100% sealed up !
Your motor will accept paint (or a polishing) so much better and it will hold up for years with a clean base to work with.
Nice !
You going to need a KIPS emblem ?

It was horrible. Now the VHT paint will hold great.

Yes, I'll need the KIPS. But first I'll need a black, new intake boot. I'll PM you.

TORKER.

torker
06-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Torker, looks like you are doing fine so far. Just wanted to let you know that the rubber bushings that you need for fenders/headlight mount/fuel tank mount are available at stores like tractor supply or napa for about 1/8th of the price anywhere else. Ive also learned that the sears hardware store by me has a huge selection of nuts and bolts (panhead, chromed allen, fine thread, hardened metrics,etc). So please do your homework at the local store rather than paying an absurd amount of hard earned money to someone wanting $10 for a "rare" bolt. Keep up the good work and hope to see your finished product.

Thanks you for the info on the bushings. Trust me, I know what you're saying about bolts. And I know better than to use old bolts. The guys from the bolt depot have most of the bolts I need, the right bolts. They are not OEM type bolts tho. The head is 13mm not 12mm and they re not flanged. But for a rider and the online price, they'll do great. If I find flanged bolts at NAPA, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, etc, I'll buy them.
I'll be visiting tomorrow, buying some more VHT paint. Can't get enough of that paint. It just looks as good as OEM. Not cheap tho. Oh well... 1 thing at a time.

TORKER.

jeswinehart
06-09-2013, 05:33 AM
What is VHT paint Torker ?

atc007
06-09-2013, 07:04 AM
What is VHT paint Torker ?

PJ1 color matched. Looking GREAT torker ! Thanx for sharing.

torker
06-09-2013, 01:16 PM
I've been using VHT epoxy, sating black for the engines and other parts. The color just looks like the OEM. If its kawaski correct, I don't really know, but I've used it on most of my engines and the some.
Never used PJ1, it's certainly harder to find for me and more expensive, although I hear its great.
I'll be posting pics as things get done.

TORKER.

torker
06-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Here's a banshee cylinder with the VHT satin paint. The picture does NOT do the color justice. It looks a lot better in person.

http://i43.tinypic.com/kyhxh.jpg

TORKER.

jb104
06-10-2013, 03:01 PM
It looks good the vht paint works nice.